talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tennis

football forum

• Subscriber

Most male tennis players get a first warning and then stop dicking around. 

Players like Djokovic and Murray are quite bad for expletives and stuff but I can't think of a male player who has gone anywhere near as aggressively pointing in an umpires face, demanding an apology and questioning his integrity over the course of 3-4 changeovers. 

I can think of occasions for example when Federer crossed the line with an umpire saying don't you know who I am or something at the US Open but you're talking needles and haystacks here. Serena already cancelled that out with "You'll never work on one of *my* courts again" before you consider the rest of her BS last night.

All great sports people have it in them to an extent but not many people are as classless in their failure to keep the beast on the leash as Serena was on Saturday.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Most male tennis players get a first warning and then stop dicking around. 

Players like Djokovic and Murray are quite bad for expletives and stuff but I can't think of a male player who has gone anywhere near as aggressively pointing in an umpires face, demanding an apology and questioning his integrity over the course of 3-4 changeovers. 

I can think of occasions for example when Federer crossed the line with an umpire saying don't you know who I am or something at the US Open but you're talking needles and haystacks here. Serena already cancelled that out with "You'll never work on one of *my* courts again" before you consider the rest of her BS last night.

All great sports people have it in them to an extent but not many people are as classless in their failure to keep the beast on the leash as Serena was on Saturday.

This is something that's being glossed over I feel. I listened to an interview with a referee a while ago, and he said that 'the line' as far as abuse goes is different for each official, but no one would stand for being called a cheat or having their honesty called into question.

A lot of people defending Williams and/or criticising the umpire are going with the "she didn't even swear" line, but that misses the point.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Watched a bit of that game earlier. Zverev was better throughout than Federer. 

Federer did bring it back a little in 2nd set to take it to a tie-break but Zverev much stronger today.

Heard the crowd were a bunch of cunts. 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Federer to play Serena Williams on Tuesday in Hopman Cup

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46720782

Tennis greats Roger Federer and Serena Williams will meet on court for the first time at the Hopman Cup on Tuesday when Switzerland face the USA in Perth.

They will play in men's and women's singles rubbers before meeting in the mixed doubles alongside partners Belinda Bencic and Frances Tiafoe.

Federer and Williams, both 37, have won a combined 43 Grand Slam titles.

"It is very exciting for both of us and I hope a lot of tennis fans tune in and watch it," said Federer.

Williams said it was "like a dream come true". She added: "I have been looking forward to it. This is so cool."

The match has been described as the most anticipated contest involving a male and female player since the "Battle of the Sexes" in 1973, when 39-time Grand Slam champion Billie Jean King beat former men's world number one Bobby Riggs in straight sets.

Despite their concurrent careers, Federer said it would be an "exaggeration" to say he knew Williams well.

"I admire everything she's done on and off the court, we are both fierce competitors and we always want to win," he said.

"It is going to be one time, probably never again. She is one of the biggest champions in our sport ever - men and women combined - so it is great to be playing against her."

The Hopman Cup comprises two singles and a mixed doubles match between nations in a round-robin format with two groups of four. The winners of each group will contest Saturday's final.

Federer and Bencic beat Britain's Cameron Norrie and Katie Boulter in their opening round-robin tie, while the USA lost to Greece on Monday despite Williams winning her singles tie.

Switzerland are the defending champions, Federer and Bencic having won the event in Perth in January 2018.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Gutted about that to be honest. I'm sure I'll add more later but if not for Murray I'd have no interest in tennis. Possibly the most underappreciated sportsman we've had in this generation, especially the way he's always upped his game when represented Great Britain, winning the Olympic Gold twice, and carrying the team to the first Davis Cup win in yonks.

• Upvote 1

Always liked Tennis but Andy Murray got me into it even more and eventually started playing in local tennis league, he has worked his arse off to get where he is and how crap when in your head you want to carry on and win titles but your body just says no.

I don't think he will make Wimbledon which will be a massive shame but understandable.

• Subscriber

Yeah so to add to what I said earlier...

I was a typical "watch the Wimbledon final" tennis noob for most of my childhood and teenage years. I was always vaguely aware of Henman and then Murray throughout my teenage years, until Murray reached the Wimbledon final in 2012. I remember being in Rome on a family holiday while it was on, hoping he won, but not being that upset when he lost because I wasn't that invested. 

Fast forward a few weeks to the London 2012 Olympics, which I watched pretty much wall to wall when I was 19. A lot of public opinion had gone Murray's way after his tearful post-match interview having lost the Wimbledon final, and you just thought what an incredible achievement it would be to come back to the same court weeks later and win a gold medal, and he only went and did it. Within weeks he'd gone from the public portrait of "that grumpy Scot who didn't support England in the World Cup that time and always loses the final like Henman anyway" to one of the leading individual heroes of the 2012 British Olympic Team. 

I was very much hooked on tennis by the time the 2012 US Open came around, with the help of my best friend from university being a massive fan of tennis, and Roger Federer. I watched all of Murray's matches at the US Open that year where he won his first major, and pretty much all of his matches for the next 2-3 years.

I'm not going to waffle on about all of his achievements. The main reason I identify with him and respect him more than any other sportsman I can think of is his personality. For years I'd have said that and the response would have been "what personality hur hur hur grumpy Scot hur hur hur". The guy has a better personality than all of the tedious media trained mega stars because he's genuine. He was never particularly comfortable in front of the cameras, though that changed over time as he grew up and felt the love a bit more from the British public, and the first time he made an attempt at something resembling banter in an interview it was about supporting Brazil against England in the World Cup and he got unfairly slated for it, and even disowned by the more heavily retarded sections of the media and the British keyboard warrior army, so it's not a surprise that he was fairly reserved for years after that, because I think, like I would have been, he was never able to show that that hurt him in public, but it probably at least somewhat upset him.

Nowadays though, he's had a chance to show his wit and humour, probably more through Instagram and Twitter than his public interviews, though he has his moments there too. He's now very popular across the UK I believe, and across the general tennis-viewing population worldwide. This is what makes me happy more than what he's achieved on the court, even though it would be naive to think that his successes haven't contributed to the change in perception. What I've seen over the past decade is quite a shy but honest guy grow from a fairly reserved young man who appeared to be pretty uncomfortable in the media limelight, to a well-respected athlete and family man who does share his emotions with the world and has become one of the most prominent voices in sport for everything between Instagram banter and important issues like equality for women in sport. The best part is that this has all happened without extensive media training and micro-management, it came from his own personality and growth as a person. 

Its horrible that his career has to end in this manner. After all of the setbacks he has overcome to succeed throughout his career in finally winning Grand Slam titles and hitting the number one ranking which seemed incredibly unlikely at times, I always just assumed that he'd somehow find a way past this hip injury and return to his old self but it looks like enough's enough.

I imagine that if anyone's still reading they're thinking for fucks sake Rando, nobody died here, but I wanted to give a fitting tribute to, in my eyes, certainly the most inspirational sportsman I've seen throughout my early adulthood, and also one of the most inspirational people in general that I can think of.

I'll leave it to all of the media outlets to bore you all to death with extensive lists of all of his competitive achievements but I wanted to add my own two cents with respect to the man I see him as off the court.

Edited by RandoEFC

• Subscriber

It is a shame about Murray. He's been slated for crying etc but professional tennis is what this guy lives and breathes so the very thought of not being able to compete would be enough to turn his world upside down.

Katie Boulter is a good player to watch at the moment and won her match yesterday. Plus, she's a good looking woman too!