talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tennis

football forum

Fantastic match going on right now between Wawarinka (2) and Dimitrov. 

Federer and Nadal already won. 

Madison Keys and Sloan Stephens have also won to get into the 3rd round. Big shock of the day is Pliskova (2) lost to Martic. 

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Eco said:

Of course! 

i would love for a Thiem vs Nadal final. 

Never have been able to like Djokovic. 

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Unlucky for Thiem there with the rain delay. 

Yeah same. Think Thiem vs Nadal would be a better final too. 

Hope there's no rain tomorrow as well. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Stan said:

@JOSHBRFC @Eco @RandoEFC you watched any of the French Open? 

Not really. Watched quite a bit of Tsitsipas against Wawrinka last weekend which was class but the French is the worst of the slams. Too predictable and it still annoys me that they dont use Hawkeye. I'll try and watch the final but if its Nadal and Djokovic we've all seen this movie enough times before. I've lost most of my interest in tennis over the past couple of years since Murray left the scene.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Not really. Watched quite a bit of Tsitsipas against Wawrinka last weekend which was class but the French is the worst of the slams. Too predictable and it still annoys me that they dont use Hawkeye. I'll try and watch the final but if its Nadal and Djokovic we've all seen this movie enough times before. I've lost most of my interest in tennis over the past couple of years since Murray left the scene.

Agree about Hawkeye. For such a major tournament I don't get why it's not used. 

Nadal vs Thiem in the final :)

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

54 minutes ago, Stan said:

Agree about Hawkeye. For such a major tournament I don't get why it's not used. 

Nadal vs Thiem in the final :)

I have heard that they aren't able to get it to work on the clay courts. 

Not sure how true this is, but I've heard this from numerous people. 

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, Eco said:

I have heard that they aren't able to get it to work on the clay courts. 

Not sure how true this is, but I've heard this from numerous people. 

I'm pretty sure they use it at the other clay tournaments, Madrid, Rome etc. They even have access to it. There was a call in a match I was watching last weekend and when the umpire makes a call based off the mark in the clay, the commentators often mention that Hawkeye can confirm that it was in/out.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm pretty sure they use it at the other clay tournaments, Madrid, Rome etc. They even have access to it. There was a call in a match I was watching last weekend and when the umpire makes a call based off the mark in the clay, the commentators often mention that Hawkeye can confirm that it was in/out.

From an article I was reading - 

The tournament directors of clay court events deny applying Hawkeye in their tournaments. The clay tournaments are free of HawkEye since it is easy to spot the place where the ball has bounced. 

HawEye is ruled out during the clay swing as the mark is left by the ball on the mud. It is quite visible on a clay court where the ball exactly lands. The staff at French Open clears the court quite often during matches in order to avoid the overlapping of the marks of the previous shots which adds accuracy to the chair umpire’s judgments.

So it looks like none of the major clay courts use it because the cost doesn't justify the fact that you can see the exact spot of the ball on clay. 

I'd like to see it, personally. 

• Subscriber

Not much of a tennis fan but for anybody to beat Novak Djokovic needs a round of applause. :congrats:

__________________________________________________________________________________

Dominic Thiem produced a stunning upset over Novak Djokovic in the French Open semi-finals to end the world number one's hopes of holding all four grand slam titles.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/tennis/dominic-thiem-edges-novak-djokovic-in-epic-to-reach-french-open-2019-final-against-rafael-nadal/ar-AACAcTE?ocid=chromentp

• Subscriber
On 08/06/2019 at 12:50, Stan said:

@JOSHBRFC @Eco @RandoEFC you watched any of the French Open? 

Not a right lot. I'm with @RandoEFC it's the least favorite of the slams. Good to see Roger get to the semis though. The wind and playing conditions have been some of the worst I've ever seen.

Hoping for a Thiem shock. 

• Administrator

Thiem's giving him a really good test though!

First half of the first set was brilliant tennis between the two. Big hitting and really physical. Think it took its toll on Thiem towards the end though.