talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tennis

football forum

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Some people on Facebook (of course) are saying she's not British. Although her parents arent British she moved to Britain when she was 2 so that's British enough for me 

You use Facebook too much xD

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Some people on Facebook (of course) are saying she's not British. Although her parents arent British she moved to Britain when she was 2 so that's British enough for me 

There's always going to be some but they're no more than tedious bores arguing about what nationality is. It ultimately doesn't matter. You're either happy to see someone reach the pinnacle of their sport thanks to the opportunities and support they received in our country, and be proud of that, or you aren't.

10 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

There's always going to be some but they're no more than tedious bores arguing about what nationality is. It ultimately doesn't matter. You're either happy to see someone reach the pinnacle of their sport thanks to the opportunities and support they received in our country, and be proud of that, or you aren't.

I don't really follow tennis so I don't really know. From what I  remember konte had only been in britian for a few years and didnt have British parents. So it was a bit of a stretch to call her british. She called herself british so I would still want her to do well however I would probably cheer another British girl over her. However Emma raducanu moved to Britain's  when she was two and british life is all she knows so for me that it British 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Tennis commentary is literally the worst commentary. Just wall to wall generic and obvious statements. xD

Navratilova (?) is terrible. 

Andrew Castle and a few others can be good. 

Tracy Austin is grating to listen to as well. 

• Subscriber

She's just broken new ground in such an absurd number of ways, first qualifier to win a major, not dropping a single set or even needing a tie break since the first round of qualifying, ranked 150 in the world, being 18 and just doing her A levels, etc, etc, that it almost feels insignificant that she's the first British woman to win a grand slam since Sue Barker won the French, and Sue Barker's so old I had to be told she was a tennis player, not just always a commentator.

I think it's good that she won at the first attempt in a final. She wouldn't want a dose of English/British anxiety building. All looks & sounds like she could be a top name for a few years ahead. Crazy that she'll be representing Britain.

How many sports haven't England or Britain won at in the last few decades? Now even ticking off Womens tennis after Andy Murray in the mens.

Had to look into her Wiki page. Apparently born in Canada, to Romanian nationals parents & now live in Britain. Or Bromley, Kent to be precise. If anyone was wondering what the Brit-Romanian-Canadian thing was about.

Wish I'd watched it now. Thought it would finish to late but I'm up anyway. This is good because Murray is not going to win anymore majors unfortunately so it gives British tennis fans someone to follow and hopefully encourages the next generation 

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

She's just broken new ground in such an absurd number of ways, first qualifier to win a major, not dropping a single set or even needing a tie break since the first round of qualifying, ranked 150 in the world, being 18 and just doing her A levels, etc, etc, that it almost feels insignificant that she's the first British woman to win a grand slam since Sue Barker won the French, and Sue Barker's so old I had to be told she was a tennis player, not just always a commentator.

😂even I knew she was a tennis player and I dont follow tennis 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Brilliant from Medvedev. Fully deserved! 

Your man knows his sports. 

F054A0DF-DB07-44CF-914A-D5651F2CBC7B.jpeg

Should have put a tenner on it but still well played.

I'm glad it's no calendar slam for Novak. Nothing against him really but nobody should dominate that easily in a sport like this.

• Subscriber
Just now, RandoEFC said:

Should have put a tenner on it but still well played.

I'm glad it's no calendar slam for Novak. Nothing against him really but nobody should dominate that easily in a sport like this.

I actually put £2 in but it had to request the odds and took ages to load on the screen. I only went in as I went to fill the car up and it’s nearby. But had a Medvedev dominant win in my mind before I left the house. 

I agree, I’m glad he didn’t win the calendar slam. Nothing massively against him, it just didn’t feel right.