talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tennis

football forum

31 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Mens tennis is Rafa Nadal at the French and Djokovic everywhere else now.   I can't see Federer coming back at 40 now having hardly played since 2019 its just a two horse race now. 

Zverev can be up there when he recovers. Alcaraz will surely be even better in the next years. Plus Nadal and Djokovic aren't getting any younger either. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
46 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

For me, whoever runs world tennis is getting it wrong.

Unvaccinated Djokovic ok to play Wimbledon.

Players from Russia & Belarus banned from Wimbledon.

Wimbledon has no ranking points.

Fairly sure all the above is the opposite way around for the US Open.

There's a few factors to take in there, surely?

The vaccinated/unvaccinated thing is nothing to do with Wimbledon. That's more to do with the rules of the country that's hosting the tournament.

I don't agree with the Russia/Belarus ban for players - the war is something they probably have nothing to do with.

US Open - Djokovic is unlikely to play in that as US don't allow unvaccinated foreign travellers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stan said:

There's a few factors to take in there, surely?

The vaccinated/unvaccinated thing is nothing to do with Wimbledon. That's more to do with the rules of the country that's hosting the tournament.

I don't agree with the Russia/Belarus ban for players - the war is something they probably have nothing to do with.

US Open - Djokovic is unlikely to play in that as US don't allow unvaccinated foreign travellers.

Perhaps whoever is running things has to allow regional Covid rules to apply. I guess the US has some national 1s now.

I totally agree with the ban on players from Russia & Belarus. And to explain why: 1 Russian medallist was stood next to a Ukraine medallist at some sporting event somewhere. Complete with the 'Z' thing like all over Russian tanks. I'd go with blanket ban over allowing however many instances like that. It's not comparable to taking the knee, or in Hitler times the raised fist thing.

I can't help but feel some of those who boo the knee thing would not be too bothered by Z displays of athletes.

And it is apparently normal Russians who need to get rid of Putin.

Edited by Reluctant Striker

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Perhaps whoever is running things has to allow regional Covid rules to apply

How do you mean?

Whoever is running the tournament has to allow regional covid rules to apply? 

• Subscriber

Things are easing off vaccine-wise. I have no problem with them letting people play regardless of vaccination status at this point. With Australia it was very political because it came so soon after there were still very strict restrictions in place on their residents and nationals. I expect they'll drop the requirement for the next Australian Open.

The Russian/Belarusian thing is a lot more contentious. I think it was a knee jerk reaction at the time and if they were deciding now, they might dial it back and just ask them to play without the Russian flag next to their name. The ATP retaliated by deciding that Wimbledon won't count toward the rankings for the next 12 months. Definitely not all sunshine and roses at the moment.

Anyway, Murray en route to take a 2-1 set lead over Duckworth after losing the first.

Can't believe Berrettini and Cilic have to drop out for Covid, especially Berrettini, he was looking great having won at Queen's.

Bonus for Rafa's side of the draw I guess but you don't like to see it.

Not watching the Serena match. I thought she might struggles, and I hate watching legends struggle. xD 

Would be the same with Roger if he comes back to the tour. 

Edit: Okay she lost. What I found also weird, is that she played no "smaller" tournaments as preparation. Just coming back to Tennis after a year out straight to Wimbledon seems weird. 

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Murray launching a comeback from two sets down against John Isner. Wins the third on a tie break. Long way to go...

Isner a break up in the 4th. Gonna be an epic win if Murray pulls it back again from here but I doubt it.