talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tennis

football forum

• Subscriber

Kyrgios shouting at his box after he just blew a 40-0 lead to get broken at the worst possible time in the third set.

I'm really trying to just enjoy the match for what it is and not worry about how much of a prick he is but he reminds you how much of a prick he is constantly.

You're in the Wimbledon final. At least pretend to be a role model for one day? Instead of yelling foul mouthed abuse in front of a stadium of people while you blame others for your own mistakes.

13 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Haven't watch much of Wimbledon or tennis as a whole, but is Krygios always a whinging fucker?

Yes. He even moans at ballboys for "running wrong" when he runs out of people to blame. 

• Subscriber

Well congratulations to Djokovic. I've seen a lot of tweets to the effect of the Wimbledon final having a lot in common with the start of the Tory leadership contest in that you just wish all of them would lose and fuck off and I have to say I feel it.

Djokovic was very special today, and after breaking Kyrgios in that second set somehow ground out the rest of the match.

Don't think he will win much going forward due to the strictness of the vaccination status though maybe another Wimbledon. 

As for Kyrgios absolutely emotional nutcase and actually reminds me of a younger McEnroe who also swore and broke his racket in a tantrum at times. 

Odd tournament this year.

Turns out Norrie was a Kiwi until he got better funding to be a Brit.

The winner of the women's title was born in Moscow. And 6th consecutive different winner.

As others describe, the men's final was dire, if you like to pick a favourite to cheer for. I'm not sure either especially want to be liked too much.

Hopefully the men's will go like the women's soon. I have been a bit bored of the big 3 thing for a while now.

• Subscriber

The Russian national thing really wasn't worth it. Nationality in tennis is... flexible, as has been mentioned above.

The players at Wimbledon don't even play with a national flag next to their name. I don't think it's mentioned at all apart from in commentary, and if that's the case there's really no difference between Rybakina and anyone who competes as a "Russian" tennis player.

I still haven't fully made my mind up about it. I get excluding the actual Russian national teams from stuff. Russian based clubs, not sure. With individuals, if you want to use it to have a pop at Russia then surely just let them compete without that registered as their nationality instead of punishing individual athletes? Roman Abramovich (not an athlete but sanctioned in a sporting context) is different due to his links to Putin but unless there's something like that it feels like unnecessary overkill.

Born in Jo'burg South Africa to British parents who later moved to NZ when he was 3, then age 16 he moves to the UK.

His parents were Welsh and Scottish so think in his case it it more complicated.

Yet though late 20th Century history we have had former East European stars moving to the US like Martina Navratilova.

It is complicated though for me Norrie has a strong claim to play for a British team because of his parents alone. 

4 hours ago, Stan said:

Who cares what nationality they are anyway? Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?

Not really no. I enjoyed Usain Bolt's athletics career as much as any British athlete. I go back so far, I cheered Martina Hingis on more than any British female tennis player.

But you could just as easily ask why people are so religious. Or why big brand football clubs mean so much to people. Or why political unions mean so much to people, whether it's an in or out stance.

I guess people will always be in groups. I think people enjoy the easy community of sport in particular. Everyone gets to share the buzz. Wearing a t shirt shows membership of the winners club, or the cool gang. And there are no guns & stuff. Usually.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One last dance tomorrow pairing up with Rafa in the Laver Cup.

What a guy. There was a time when his dominance used to annoy me, particularly at Wimbledon as a Nadal fan, but I grew to appreciate what a great Champion he was and the way he carried himself with such style and grace.

Even more so when you see Champions across other Sports who come across such assholes. Not sure I've ever heard a bad word said about Fed.

Three memorable matches for me with Fed.

Will always remember the day he knocked Pete Sampras out at Wimbledon as a youngster and promptly took over the Sport.

The 5 set Nadal Wimbledon final he lost in '08 which is the best match I've ever seen and the 5 set Roddick final at Wimbledon where he looked beat several times and just kept coming back off the canvas.

Amazing man.

• Upvote 1