talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tennis

football forum

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Eco said:

Thiem is a damn monster this year. I wonder if this is it for Novak winning Majors.

If this Nadals to lose.

Don't rule out Novak yet. Lost count of the amount of times people (including me) have said that Federer and Nadal are finished winning slams yet here we are at the second slam of the year and Roger has one with Rafa odds-on to win the other. Djokovic still has a lot to give.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Toony said:

What's happened to Djokovic?

I don't follow Tennis much but I remember not so long ago he was quite dominant, just a loss of form or something worse than that?

A loss of form that has become a crisis. It seems to happen with players when they lose a bit of motivation. Last year, Djokovic finally won the French Open, then he lost early at Wimbledon and in the first round of the Olympics (to Del Potro to be fair to him). He got back into it a bit more later in the year when Murray was chasing him down for the #1 ranking but he still didn't get back to top form and eventually lost top spot and hasn't got a realistic chance of getting it back until at least after Wimbledon.

He dumped Boris Becker as coach at the end of 2016, and the rest of his team earlier this year when form wasn't improving, don't know if that's set him back even more or whether it has just had no effect.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Don't rule out Novak yet. Lost count of the amount of times people (including me) have said that Federer and Nadal are finished winning slams yet here we are at the second slam of the year and Roger has one with Rafa odds-on to win the other. Djokovic still has a lot to give.

Except the only thing that could slow down Fed and Nadal were injuries. Djokovic just isn't hitting with the same pace or intensity. He may get it back, but this looks to be more mental than anything, and that can be a lot harder to recover from.

• Subscriber

Wawrinka defeats Murray in a 6-7, 6-3, 5-7, 7-6, 6-1 epic, absolutely red-lined that final set. Whatever happens in the final, he will move ahead of Novak Djokovic in the rankings, who is down to 4th, shockingly. If Stan wins the tournament he'll actually become world #2. I will be supporting Rafa (or Thiem) against him though as I can't stand the thought of a guy like Stan having more slams than Murray after all the missed opportunities for Andy.

A decent tournament from Murray. He'll be disappointed to lose that having been 2-1 up with the fourth set going to a tie break but there was no stopping Stan in that last set. Poor performances in the Masters events costing him time on court may have contributed to his apparent lack of match fitness in the final set, not taking anything away from Wawrinka though. Andy should have given himself some momentum in this run though which is hugely important going into Queen's Club and Wimbledon where he'll have to start defending his huge points haul from the second half of 2016.

• Subscriber

Gutted for Murray but he's come into form at the perfect time after a poor start to the year. I think him or the goat will win Wimbledon. I certainly hope that's the case.

cant see anything other than a Nadal win here and will that be a 10th French? Amazing.

Nadal and Federer have really shown why they're the 2 best players of all time with how they've come back to the top of the game at their age. Federer in particular and I like his choice to skip the clay season.

Edited by JOSHBRFC

• Subscriber

Nadal beats Thiem 6-3, 6-4, 6-0. I still think Thiem has a big future and will probably be a favourite to win the French Open and possibly other majors once the big four generation stop being so greedy.

• Subscriber

Rafael Nadal wins his TENTH French Open title with a 6-2 6-3 6-1 win over Wawrinka. Most would have expected him to win but I don't think many would have called it being that one-sided. I was nervous about putting money on him to win in straight sets!

That's a 15th grand slam title and his first since French Open 2014. He moves back up to world number 2 tomorrow with Stan becoming number 3, Djokovic dropping behind both of them to 4th. Nadal also leads the year-to-date rankings by almost 3000 points ahead of Roger Federer which is unbelievable at this stage.

On 6/11/2017 at 1:10 PM, JOSHBRFC said:

Incredible. A feat that will never be matched. Love seeing him and Roger back at the top of the game. Hopefully Federer can win Wimbledon.. that would be amazing.

Fed winning Wimbledon would be great, however losing to a older Haas in the Stuttgart Open is not a good sign.

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned