talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tennis

football forum

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Eco said:

I just felt like you kept referencing her age, when tennis, like football, has people excel at a very young age. 

She has excelled anyway. It's just I teach 18 year olds and people forget how young they still are. More power to both of them for what they've achieved to date. At the same time, look no further than Naomi Osaka to see how it all affects people differently. The situation today could easily have overwhelmed Emma Raducanu when you account for the fact that she's spent the weekend being billed as Britain's last hope at Wimbledon this year.

49 minutes ago, Stan said:

Just because there are younger players on the tour or in this tournament doesn't negate anything Raducanu still does as an 18 year old.

Absolutely not. But within her field (WTP tour) she was an average player who had a great tournament. Ranked in the 300's and then went on fire. 

I hope it's real and not someone who just had a great tournament, as the more competitive in the younger generation, the better it is for the sport. 

But it's tennis, so she got a lot more press because she represents GBR and it was Wimbledon, similar to how an American would get the press at the US Open, an Aussie at the Australian Open, and a Frenchie in the French. 

Even more so, I hope she is the real deal, and she plays really well, and I'd hate for a talented athlete like that to struggle with stage fright or whatever happened to her today. I can only hope it was a one time deal, and next time she is able to play her game without any physical or mental hurdles. 

28 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

She has excelled anyway. It's just I teach 18 year olds and people forget how young they still are. More power to both of them for what they've achieved to date. At the same time, look no further than Naomi Osaka to see how it all affects people differently. The situation today could easily have overwhelmed Emma Raducanu when you account for the fact that she's spent the weekend being billed as Britain's last hope at Wimbledon this year.

See above. 

No doubt what she did was an incredible accomplishment. I am absolutely gutted for her that she lost not because she was outplayed, but because of something else (mental? physical? who knows right now). I wish her nothing but the best. 

I think a lot of hype revolved around her because she's British at Wimbledon, and she did make a great run for someone ranked around 330 in the world. But age isn't what made it special. What made it special is that someone in the 330's rankings was on the verge of being in the Final 8 at Wimbledon. Her age isn't that unique to the sport in which she plays, which was my point. 

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Eco said:

Absolutely not. But within her field (WTP tour) she was an average player who had a great tournament. Ranked in the 300's and then went on fire. 

I hope it's real and not someone who just had a great tournament, as the more competitive in the younger generation, the better it is for the sport. 

But it's tennis, so she got a lot more press because she represents GBR and it was Wimbledon, similar to how an American would get the press at the US Open, an Aussie at the Australian Open, and a Frenchie in the French. 

Even more so, I hope she is the real deal, and she plays really well, and I'd hate for a talented athlete like that to struggle with stage fright or whatever happened to her today. I can only hope it was a one time deal, and next time she is able to play her game without any physical or mental hurdles. 

This from someone on another forum (who I have no issue with believing) 

Just to hopefully re-assure everyone, it is something she’s suffered from a lot previously in terms of panic attacks and not being able to return… so likely to be that. I know a few people in her team 👍 will update properly if the news doesn’t get there first! 

So hopefully it is something she can overcome. You'd hate for such a talented player to be affected long-term by something seemingly out of her control. The fact she's suffered from it before and still came out to play, very well at that, on the grandest stage and court of them all is still testament to her character. 

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, Eco said:

But age isn't what made it special. What made it special is that someone in the 330's rankings was on the verge of being in the Final 8 at Wimbledon. Her age isn't that unique to the sport in which she plays, which was my point. 

I think it's both. People went mad for Coco Gauff as well when she got a few wins as a teenager. Obviously it's still a big story when someone in their late 20s hits the second week when they're ranked in the 300s but usually in that scenario it's a bit of a fluke and everyone accepts it's a bit of a one off. When you do it at 18 or 16 things reach fever pitch because people think it means you'll be a future champion, and especially when it's a local talent people get excited over watching them come back as a contender for another 10-15 years.

At least it does in the UK. Between Serena, Venus, Agassi and Sampras it probably isn't quite as much of a novelty in the US xD.

22 minutes ago, Stan said:

This from someone on another forum (who I have no issue with believing) 

Just to hopefully re-assure everyone, it is something she’s suffered from a lot previously in terms of panic attacks and not being able to return… so likely to be that. I know a few people in her team 👍 will update properly if the news doesn’t get there first! 

So hopefully it is something she can overcome. You'd hate for such a talented player to be affected long-term by something seemingly out of her control. The fact she's suffered from it before and still came out to play, very well at that, on the grandest stage and court of them all is still testament to her character. 

Yes - hopefully she is okay and can get get a handle on it. I honestly feel for her as I have never had some a thing. 

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think it's both. People went mad for Coco Gauff as well when she got a few wins as a teenager. Obviously it's still a big story when someone in their late 20s hits the second week when they're ranked in the 300s but usually in that scenario it's a bit of a fluke and everyone accepts it's a bit of a one off. When you do it at 18 or 16 things reach fever pitch because people think it means you'll be a future champion, and especially when it's a local talent people get excited over watching them come back as a contender for another 10-15 years.

At least it does in the UK. Between Serena, Venus, Agassi and Sampras it probably isn't quite as much of a novelty in the US xD.

I mean, no one in the world appears to be a stronger critic of English athletes more than the English press. 

I remember the days of Murray at his Prime, and how the media seemed to tear him apart. 

Regardless, I hope she is okay. 

• Administrator

So I'll get to see Berrettini vs Aliassime and Khachanov vs Shapovalov on No.1 Court tomorrow. 

Would have loved to see Fed or Djokovic but can't be too picky for the first Wimbledon visit.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Stan said:

So I'll get to see Berrettini vs Aliassime and Khachanov vs Shapovalov on No.1 Court tomorrow. 

Would have loved to see Fed or Djokovic but can't be too picky for the first Wimbledon visit.

Well done, enjoy! 

The first match is very interesting, while the second one doesn't excite me as much. 

I love the power Berrettini has to his game. Just pure, raw, power. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Why is everyone going on about Federer's "last Wimbledon"? Has there been serious rumour or talk of him retiring? He's still the 6th seed and made the quarter finals pretty easily. Today was one performance where he looked way past it but it's not like he's been playing consistently like that and there's no hope of him playing well again.

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Why is everyone going on about Federer's "last Wimbledon"? Has there been serious rumour or talk of him retiring? He's still the 6th seed and made the quarter finals pretty easily. Today was one performance where he looked way past it but it's not like he's been playing consistently like that and there's no hope of him playing well again.

Every year he plays less matches, tries to be ready for the grass season. Not working out anymore though.

• Administrator

Well I for one am very satisfied with the days play we saw! Picked the right court to buy tickets for and turned out it was 2 of the best matches of the day. 

Berrettini serve is like a fucking torpedo. Ridiculous speed and power. 

• Upvote 2

• Administrator

Sabalenka defeated by Pliskova.

Pliskova vs Barty will be a really good tie, I think. 

Glad we won't be hearing Sabalenka's screaming for 2(ish) hours on Saturday. 

Just now, Stan said:

Sabalenka defeated by Pliskova.

Pliskova vs Barty will be a really good tie, I think. 

Glad we won't be hearing Sabalenka's screaming for 2(ish) hours on Saturday. 

If Barty is healthy, which she appears to be, then she might end it early. Girl is an absolute athlete that happens to play tennis. 

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, Machado said:

I would have walked out after that first question.

what the hell xD. What kind of question is that?! Very disrespectful to Djokovic, to be honest. And I'm not his biggest fan. 

14 minutes ago, Stan said:

what the hell xD. What kind of question is that?! Very disrespectful to Djokovic, to be honest. And I'm not his biggest fan. 

This. 

Djokovic is too intense and sometimes is a prick, but don't ask that dumb shit. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Berrettini's forehand is out of this world. Nadal during his best days had a similar forehand, but I'm not sure I've seen many players with that kind of pace on it. 

Yes, he's probably the most powerful player about. I'd say there's more power than precision to his shots but I can see the similarity to Nadal. When the accuracy is on point, it's blisteringly good. Nadal had that whip that he can get on his shots anywhere round the court. It's not a slant on Berrettini that he perhaps lacks that but he makes up for it with the speed & power he has.