talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tennis

football forum

• Subscriber

I don't know if it was mentioned in the other commentary but apparently in a recent match Tsitsipas was facing Zverev and he went for a lengthy toilet break, taking his bag with him and Zverev got up and said to the chair umpire that he's getting coached by text. Tsitsipas' Dad and coach was in the box on his phone. Coaching during the match isn't allowed in men's tennis so if that accusation was accurate it would have been cheating. Nobody can really prove it either way though.

With Murray though it's hard to tell whether he turned it into a grievance because we all know by now he feeds off that sort of negative energy for better or worse, or whether it's something that's common knowledge or broadly speculated upon by the players. I don't watch enough tennis these days to really know. What I will say is that Murray along with most tennis players over the years has a firm sense of honesty and sportsmanship so if he thinks someone is crossing the line from gamesmanship into something a bit less honourable it's going to piss him off. We've seen the same with Federer in the past who is less vocal on court but gets visibly pissed off. 

Still, he has to be pleased with how he played. What he's already done coming back with a metal hip is a notable achievement and while the chances of him winning another big tournament are realistically gone, if he can get back in the top 20 or so in the world again it would be quite incredible and if you can seeded in say the top 16 you never know how a draw might open up.in front of you. I think Murray probably needs to play more tournaments outside of the majors to achieve that though and I'm not sure if that's his priority or whether it's advisable for his physical condition.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@JoshBRFC you must not have alot of time to do much else you watch a lot of sport 

xD Boxing, Football, F1, Snooker, Darts, Tennis, probably more, you’re not wrong mate, i do watch a lot. 

Felt it this morning after only a few hours sleep. Andy was playing brilliantly though, I had to watch it.

Edited by JoshBRFC

Just now, JoshBRFC said:

xD Boxing, Football, F1, Snooker, Darts, Tennis, probably more, you’re not wrong mate, i do watch a lot. 

Felt it this morning after only a few hours sleep. Andy was playing brilliantly though, I had to watch it.

And wrestling mate 😂

• Subscriber

Grand slam tennis is a nightmare because you watch a match it could end up being anything between 2 and 5 hours long. Especially the US Open because the matches start late evening our time and it's easy to watch it and hope for a reasonably short match and get sucked in to the 1am shift.

10 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Grand slam tennis is a nightmare because you watch a match it could end up being anything between 2 and 5 hours long. Especially the US Open because the matches start late evening our time and it's easy to watch it and hope for a reasonably short match and get sucked in to the 1am shift.

I'm  not really a tennis fan but turned it on when Murray was 2 sets up in the us open when he won his first grand slam.  It ended up going on for another 3 sets and i was knackered the next day 

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Exactly what I did last night. Alarm went off at 4:30, coffee and berocca was needed this morning 😂

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Exactly what I did last night. Alarm went off at 4:30, coffee and berocca was needed this morning 😂

I don't actually pay much attention these days but I finished my race on the F1 game and saw your post and went shit, Murray vs Tsitsipas in the first round and Murray's winning? And turned it on just in time to watch him lose the 4th and 5th.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
51 minutes ago, Eco said:

Medvedev taking an early lead over Evans in the first set. 

Expect him to call this set over and try and regroup for Set #2. 

As much as I want Evans to win, fully expect a 3-0 Medvedev win here. Medvedev will be the biggest obstacle to a Novak Calendar slam. And I hope he stops him doing it. xD

Just now, JoshBRFC said:

As much as I want Evans to win, fully expect a 3-0 Medvedev win here. Medvedev will be the biggest obstacle to a Novak Calendar slam. And I hope he stops him doing it. xD

Ah, I'm a big fan of Medvedev's, so I always go for him and Zverev. 

Sadly none of the American tennis players I like. I enjoyed Roddick, but since then it's been a couple of big guys who can serve and nothing else, and I hate that kind of tennis. 

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Medvedev is a bit servebotty really isn't he. Plenty of other facets to his game but that's the big difference between them from what I've seen in this set.

And yes, anyone who can cause an upset against Djokovic would be sound.

He certainly has a killer serve, but I think he's able to also do a lot more. 

When I think of 'Serveboy', I think of the two big Americans in Isner or Opelka, whom you can beat pretty easily if you can just get a racket on the serve. 

Medvedev also plays with great patience, and wears down a lot of his opponents, which I actually enjoy. He plays smart and I like his mental approach to the game.