talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tennis

football forum

• Subscriber

What a final. Thoroughly enjoyed every set and every game. Why is anyone surprised that Rafa came from 2 sets down to win Grand Slam number 21?! What an historic legendary moment. To go one clear and what it meant and the manner of the victory his winning point today will be replayed for generations. 

44 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Why is anyone surprised that Rafa came from 2 sets down

I thought he was done for physically after his long injury, Covid, the long tournament etc. I forgot that he is an actual machine. xD

• Subscriber

Apparently that was actually the first match Nadal has won from two sets down since 2007.

Scarcely believable when you think of how many matches he seems to have had that have gone the full five sets. It's the mark of a man who doesn't find himself two sets down very often and he also tends to be a pretty fast starter in these matches. Still a surprising statistic though.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

Apparently that was actually the first match Nadal has won from two sets down since 2007.

Scarcely believable when you think of how many matches he seems to have had that have gone the full five sets. It's the mark of a man who doesn't find himself two sets down very often and he also tends to be a pretty fast starter in these matches. Still a surprising statistic though.

Yeah. Mad stat. 

I'm glad I watched this match today. We had beautiful weather today, apparently for the only time for the next few weeks, and I really wanted to go out and enjoy it, but I had to watch this and root for Rafa! And it was a historical moment after all. The first male tennis player to win 21 Grand Slams! 

Legend! I really wanted to go to Manacor when I was on Mallorca, his hometown. It was only a few km's away from where I was staying, and they have a museum there about him. Ah well, next time. 

• Subscriber

Zverev has apologised. He got disqualified from the singles draw for his behaviour.

Bear in mind, the lad stands accused of domestic abuse by his ex-girlfriend, a female tennis player. That investigation is ongoing and there are questions over how that is being handled by the ATP, who haven't actually commented upon it. 

This behaviour isn't evidence in any way regarding that investigation but people are now asking, if he can behave like that when he loses his temper, then what else might he be capable of? And he can only blame himself.

If it's discovered that he is guilty of crossing the line with his ex-girlfriend and abusing her, then it's going to look pretty bad on the ATP, who have placed no restrictions on him competing on the tour while the investigation goes on. Innocent until proven guilty, yes, but the men's and women's tours overlap an awful lot of the time. I don't actually know if his accuser is still on tour herself but if she is, they're very much at risk of crossing paths with each other on a regular basis. Just have to hope there is nothing in those reports as it isn't a good luck for ATP to have done nothing about it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...