talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

I can remember...

football forum

• Subscriber

Thought I would start this thread about things that made you laugh at the time or anything else...

I can remember when I was doing a night shift in a building as a security officer, around 01.30 am and I was sitting at my security desk all by myself, I had locked and made the building secure at 22.00 hrs when all the tenants had left and I was on my own, half asleep looking at the security cameras outside and inside the building.

I noticed at the east doors in the Atrium foyer a figure appeared at the locked doors, well I reacted and made my way to the doors as sometimes you would get winos or drunk/druggies trying to kip (sleep) outside the door and then you would bang on the door and tell them to fuck off or you would call the police, as I approached the stairs in the Atrium towards the doors I stopped dead with my mouth wide open.

Well, a young blonde lady had her back towards the door looking very sheepishly from left to right outside the doors and quickly lifted her skirt up, dropped her knickers and had a pee not realizing that she was on CCTV and me also watching her inside the building, I just stood there with my mouth wide open, when she had finished doing her call of nature, dressed herself, looked left and right again and slowly trotted off into the wild blue yonder.

I wrote an incident report out which the other security officers and building manager read in the morning and they all rushed down into the security office to look at the CCTV tape to have a wee look when I got home in the morning and mentioned it to the wife she said "You dirty bastard, why didn't you knock at the door and let her know you were watching her and she was on CCTV", my reply was "Darling, if I had walked up the stairs and banged at the door she would have shite herself and peed herself and run off with fright", all the wife would say was "Oh...yer".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I can remember when the tv would close down at mid-night with God Save the Queen playing, no all-night tv then, I can remember the first tv we got around 1956, black & white and I was sitting there with my mouth wide open looking at people moving around in what I thought was a box, my mother said I got up and looked at the back of the tv and she said "What are you looking for son?" my reply was "I am looking for the door them people went to go inside the box?" :dam:

1957-Rogers-Majestic-7621-CANADA.jpg

1 hour ago, CaaC - John said:

I can remember when the tv would close down at mid-night with God Save the Queen playing, no all-night tv then, I can remember the first tv we got around 1956, black & white and I was sitting there with my mouth wide open looking at people moving around in what I thought was a box, my mother said I got up and looked at the back of the tv and she said "What are you looking for son?" my reply was "I am looking for the door them people went to go inside the box?" :dam:

1957-Rogers-Majestic-7621-CANADA.jpg

I don't remember them when they were Black & White although I do remember you had to actually get up out of your chair to change the channels and spend ages twiddling the aerial on top to get a decent picture... 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

I don't remember them when they were Black & White although I do remember you had to actually get up out of your chair to change the channels and spend ages twiddling the aerial on top to get a decent picture... 

I know, we are all fucking lazy nowadays, lye on the sofa with a remote control and hand operate it without moving, the old days, watch a film or show and when it was finished get up and change channels or tune in, I can remember once where our aerial on the roof broke down so all I did was get a wire coat hanger and used that indoors, moving it around to get a certain channel and then pinning it to the wall, I had pins all over the wall to hang the coat hanger on!! xD

I know, we are all fucking lazy nowadays, lye on the sofa with a remote control and hand operate it without moving, the old days, watch a film or show and when it was finished get up and change channels or tune in, I can remember once where our aerial on the roof broke down so all I did was get a wire coat hanger and used that indoors, moving it around to get a certain channel and then pinning it to the wall, I had pins all over the wall to hang the coat hanger on!! xD

You only had 4 channels as well to choose from, BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel 4 I think it was... 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

You only had 4 channels as well to choose from, BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel 4 I think it was.

I think it was only BBC1 & 2 and ITV in my time and Channel 4 & 5 came later but even then I would have pins all over my wall near the tv and markings in pencil BBC1, BBC2...so if I changed channels then I would know where to hand the coat hanger for a better reception, imagine "Hang on honey, just going to change channels..." get off my arse and put the coat hanger on the designated pin mark on the wall.   :whistling:

towel2.png

I think it was only BBC1 & 2 and ITV in my time and Channel 4 & 5 came later but even then I would have pins all over my wall near the tv and markings in pencil BBC1, BBC2...so if I changed channels then I would know where to hand the coat hanger for a better reception, imagine "Hang on honey, just going to change channels..." get off my arse and put the coat hanger on the designated pin mark on the wall.   :whistling:

towel2.png

Them were the days.. I also used to remember that if you had a modern roof aerial installed on the chimney it used to be absolute cack reception if it was windy or there was a storm... 

• Subscriber

Just now, Bluewolf said:

Them were the days.. I also used to remember that if you had a modern roof aerial installed on the chimney it used to be absolute cack reception if it was windy or there was a storm... 

Or 2 fucking birds sitting on top of the aerial cooing away all lovey-dovey and fuck your reception up, I would go outside and start lobbing stones at them to "fuck off my tv aerial, I am missing my football" or the wife is going bonkers missing her bloody soap operas.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I can remember my old man when he was alive before we emigrated to Australia and when football matches always started on a Saturday at 1500hrs in the 1950's if he was going to see his beloved West Ham play he would be up early on a Saturday morning with his hammers cap and scarf on and a rattle in his hand and head off, whatever the result was he would make his way back to Tilbury by train and go to the local Tilbury Dockers Club and have a few pints.

If he was not going to the match then he would get himself a few bottles of beer and sit beside our coal and log fire smoking a drum roll-up cigarette and listen to the match on the radio, those were the days, simple and easy either listening or watching the team you supported and loved at the ground or listen to it on the Radio, nowadays you will either go to the match if you could afford it or go to the local pub and watch the match in colour or at home on tv in colour.   

Arsenal-1938-001.jpg

NTC-image.jpg

article-2264693-1714D7FB000005DC-786_964article-2264693-1714A40C000005DC-596_964

• Administrator

Talking of TV channels, I can remember the Bamboozle quiz they used to have on teletext on Channel 4. On some TVs you could press all the options/colours on the remote control to work out the next answer instead of starting over. 

Then on Saturdays it would be Buster who did the quiz and it would be infinitely easier cos it was for kids xD

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Stan said:

Talking of TV channels, I can remember the Bamboozle quiz they used to have on teletext on Channel 4. On some TVs you could press all the options/colours on the remote control to work out the next answer instead of starting over. 

Then on Saturdays it would be Buster who did the quiz and it would be infinitely easier cos it was for kids xD

xD

Bamboozle_Last_Screen.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Bloody hell, just found this in the back room in a box, a Nokia phone I got the wife in 2004 I think it was and it still works, I found an old charger that fitted it and charged it up, all it needs now is a sim card, mind you, it takes no pictures etc.

2116375971_download(4).png.f3c8576287732737993853d48190f459.png 

I can remember the very first mobile phone I got me and the wife around 2001, all you could do was use it as a phone and text messages, none of the extras you get nowadays with mobiles.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Thought I would share this old memory, around 2000 I was doing security work and was offered a weeks work in Wick, Scotland right up the far end of Scotland, I took it, packed my bags and headed off by bus, it took a good few hours to get there right in the highlands of Scotland but it's one time of my life I would never forget, the countryside and hills travelling up there was spell bounding...

_44602154_petrol_map226x282.jpg

I fell in love with Wick and while I was there I visited old Wick Castle which stands right on the end of a cliff where you can look down and see the waves crashing below and it was used by the Vikings in years gone by, when I was inside the castle which was built with shales there were 3 loose bits lying around so I picked them up to keep and bring them home to Liz as I knew she would love a piece of history of Scotland from years gone by, she has had these bits of shales sitting on our mantle fire hearth since then, these shales come from around the 1100s...

20190703_122235.jpg.3206ce50418fd0075bf3363741e9d2e3.jpg 

download.thumb.png.e9411a1b1eb9f038a175e93b90e422a8.png

castle_old_wick.thumb.jpg.09605badd2f9537db5197e4cc4a89688.jpg

Discover one of Scotland’s oldest castles, perched on a narrow promontory on the far north-eastern tip of the mainland.

The Castle of Old Wick was probably built in the 1100s. It shares quite a few similarities with Cubbie Roo’s Castle on Orkney, built in about 1150 – indeed, it may have been built by the half-Norse Earl Harald Maddadson.

Known as ‘The Old Man of Wick’, the castle is dominated by its four-storey tower. Parts of its seaward side have long since collapsed, but it retains a striking and dramatic presence.

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/castle-of-old-wick/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Just spotted this old photo was taken around the 1930s in Leith where I live, a bit haunting really like Woolworths has gone and so has the old red phone box, the only thing I cant see there are pigeons, there are loads of them buggers everywhere on Kirkgate Square nowadays and they are a pain in the arse.

67246074_10161814512495316_7534758348252512256_n.thumb.jpg.d7e56b218b4e81beda4d0220ca500272.jpgToday

The 1930s

615852-newkirkgate-shopping-centre.thumb.jpg.54a2e155efec8fb8a535df67f85cb85d.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • Subscriber

Bloody hell, this brings back memories when my laddie was 9 years old and playing for the school football team that me and my mate coached around 1987 odds, we would take turns in bringing the footy kit home from the match to wash and dry.

Roseburn Primary School under-11's football team, our son bottom row second from the left, played him as a CMF.

download.png.2486915d9fb9caf92469ac1c25c6f0b3.png

Fast forward to today and my laddie is now 40 odd years old with a wee laddie Alexanda who is 12 years old and plays footie for my son's team he manages in the local league and our son brought the kit home to wash as it was his turn, but the wife said she would wash it, it's pissing down with rain outside so Liz washed it and stuck it in the lounge here to dry off as he needs it for footie training tonight, the grandsons (Alexanda) top is hanging there, how time flys.

thumbnail_20200113_143454.thumb.jpg.875540a51a1e6eed9181c9a3c6752481.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • Subscriber

Looking back at the first post in this thread and to think I have been retired now for 8 years and funny enough I ended up back in town (Edinburgh) the other day and happened to walk past the old building I use to help manage and it's changed a wee bit.

Where there was a bank sub-office outside it's now turned into a pub, 3 of the companies that leased offices in there are now gone, walking inside to the atrium and the main desk has new security officers sitting there, how time flys.

download (1).png

Archived