talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Time 100: The Most Influential People 2019

football forum

• Subscriber

When it comes to professional athletes, their pay (and especially prize money and bonuses) is more or less based on the revenue they generate, no?... I understand how it might seem unfair especially considering that the US Women's team is much more successful than the Men's team but I believe that even despite apparently massive following they don't generate the revenue stream anywhere near the level that Men's football does?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nudge said:

When it comes to professional athletes, their pay (and especially prize money and bonuses) is more or less based on the revenue they generate, no?... I understand how it might seem unfair especially considering that the US Women's team is much more successful than the Men's team but I believe that even despite apparently massive following they don't generate the revenue stream anywhere near the level that Men's football does?

While men do generate more money, it's not at the same percentage as they are shown via paychecks. It's a massive difference pay out for appearances, wins, etc...and what the women are saying is that they deserve the same percentage as men. So if the men's team generates 100m, and the players get paid 1m each, then the women want the same percentage. (ie. women generate 70m, so they want 700k, whereas now they would get paid something like 100k in this scenario). 

The percentage of payouts is what they are arguing, and I'm not sure how they can lose their fight against the USA FA.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

While men do generate more money, it's not at the same percentage as they are shown via paychecks. It's a massive difference pay out for appearances, wins, etc...and what the women are saying is that they deserve the same percentage as men. So if the men's team generates 100m, and the players get paid 1m each, then the women want the same percentage. (ie. women generate 70m, so they want 700k, whereas now they would get paid something like 100k in this scenario). 

The percentage of payouts is what they are arguing, and I'm not sure how they can lose their fight against the USA FA.

I obviously don't know the percentages they argue against but according to this article it's also not in their favour... https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/03/07/world-cup-soccer-pay-disparity-between-men-and-women-is-justified/#554cf8166da4

The Women's World Cup brought in almost $73 million, of which the players got 13%. The 2010 men's World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion, of which 9% went to the players.

The men still pull the World Cup money wagon. The men's World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion in revenue, with the participating teams sharing $400 million, less than 7% of revenue. Meanwhile, the Women's World Cup is expected to earn $131 million for the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams.

Just now, nudge said:

I obviously don't know the percentages they argue against but according to this article it's also not in their favour... https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/03/07/world-cup-soccer-pay-disparity-between-men-and-women-is-justified/#554cf8166da4

Interesting - I was listening to a couple of experts put it and it made it sound the way I was saying, not the way forbes does there. 

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, Eco said:

Interesting - I was listening to a couple of experts put it and it made it sound the way I was saying, not the way forbes does there. 

Yeah as I said, I have no idea if those Forbes' figures are correct or not. Obviously if the actual percentages are not equal with those of men then they certainly have a case there... 

Archived