talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Time 100: The Most Influential People 2019

football forum

Just released. I'm always interested to see who on the list I don't know, and then try to learn a little bit about him/her. Honestly, these lists interests me as 'Influential', doesn't always mean good things. 

Two football players are on the list - 

Alex Morgan
Mohammad Salah

Pretty shit really, as Ada Hegerberg should be on there, especially after she handled the comment about twerking made to her while accepting her Ballon d'Or, plus she's the first woman to ever win the award. 

Oh well, here is the list in case you are interested. 

https://time.com/collection/100-most-influential-people-2019/

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Mo Salah and 99 people I don’t give a fuck about.

Actually there’s some pretty terrible people in this list and Time got some pretty terrible people to write reports about how great those terrible people are.

Who do you mean? 

Again, this list isn't the greatest people, just the ones that are most influential. 

21 minutes ago, Eco said:

Who do you mean? 

Again, this list isn't the greatest people, just the ones that are most influential. 

Yeah I know it’s not the greatest people, just most influential. And some of the people I think are genuinely terrible are certainly some of the most influential people in the world. I think maybe having journalists write about these people rather than some of their equally terrible peers might be better though.

15 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Just saw that 'Ninja' was on the list and decided that the list has lost any credibility it had. 

I'm not into e-Sports at all, but it's a massively growing...league? 

And he's the face of it, and it's a really exploding, so I understand why he's on it. 

But again, I don't play any video games. 

1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Just saw that 'Ninja' was on the list and decided that the list has lost any credibility it had. 

Well I always thought 'Ninja' was a well trained assassin who could glide around your room and slice body parts off in lightning quick speed like a sushi chef then disappear without trace like smoke on the evening breeze and all without making a single sound.. until I googled it

Related image

I must admit it is quite scary... to think someone like this who sits at home all day playing games can be so influential, Not since the Mr Bean Snickers ad have I seen a less scary ninja... 

Get a proper job you hippy..  

Just now, Bluewolf said:

The world's most popular online streamer made close to $10 million (£7.9m) from playing video games in 2018. Tyler Blevins, known by his online persona Ninja, revealed that 70 per cent of this income came from people viewing his Twitch or YouTube channel, with the rest coming from sponsors.

I think he's actually living the dream, mate. 

7 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'm not into e-Sports at all, but it's a massively growing...league? 

And he's the face of it, and it's a really exploding, so I understand why he's on it. 

But again, I don't play any video games. 

To me, he was simply at the right place at the right time when Fortnite exploded in popularity and became one of the games main 'representatives' (basically, it's nothing but Fortnite). 

When it all dies down, you probably won't hear from him again. 

42 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

To me, he was simply at the right place at the right time when Fortnite exploded in popularity and became one of the games main 'representatives' (basically, it's nothing but Fortnite). 

When it all dies down, you probably won't hear from him again. 

No doubt about it. But I can't fault the kid for making more money last year than I likely will in 20 years, and doing it by getting people to pay to watch him play.

Hes the face for Fortnite, and of the explosion of Twitch, so good for him for taking advantage of the situation.

39 minutes ago, Eco said:

No doubt about it. But I can't fault the kid for making more money last year than I likely will in 20 years, and doing it by getting people to pay to watch him play.

Hes the face for Fortnite, and of the explosion of Twitch, so good for him for taking advantage of the situation.

I have no issues with the money made at all. I just struggle to see how he can be classed as one of the most influential people of the world when all he's done is basically gain a huge following of kids simply by playing Fortnite while others have at least tried to do something in the world. 

7 hours ago, Eco said:

6 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I have no issues with the money made at all. I just struggle to see how he can be classed as one of the most influential people of the world when all he's done is basically gain a huge following of kids simply by playing Fortnite while others have at least tried to do something in the world. 

Yea.. it's not the money aspect of it, it is however sadly a sign of the times where someone who sits in their bedroom all day playing a game can indeed influence hundreds of other people/kids to go and do exactly the same.. sit in a bedroom most of the day playing games. Influential among his own community obviously ( because I never heard of him before Bluebird mentioned him ) but a positive influence?? not for me

I would consider someone like David Attenborough as being influential ( not sure if he is on the list or not as it would not open properly for me? ) and if he is not on the list at all maybe he could change his name to 'Viper' that might increase his influence among the younger ones and gain a bigger following... at least they would all be outside of the bedroom doing something worthwhile with their time... 

10 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Well I always thought 'Ninja' was a well trained assassin who could glide around your room and slice body parts off in lightning quick speed like a sushi chef then disappear without trace like smoke on the evening breeze and all without making a single sound.. until I googled it

Related image

I must admit it is quite scary... to think someone like this who sits at home all day playing games can be so influential, Not since the Mr Bean Snickers ad have I seen a less scary ninja... 

They are making a statement that they are somewhat in touch with youth.

He has a lot of followers but there are people on Instagram with hundreds of millions of followers that haven't appeared on the list.

Juan Guaido xD Turns out that driving around Caracas calling yourself the President is a position of world influence.

Also props to them for devising the most horrid thing I could imagine reading: a profile of Nancy Pelosi by Hilary Clinton. 

Liberalism is a hell of a drug. 

50 minutes ago, kapisevicius said:

I don't know if he's influential but he doesn't only call himself a president, he actually is.

I understand his legal argument but to me, a President is the head of his country's executive. 

A man who doesn't control the police and the army and has no means of implementing policy isn't a President as I understand the term. 

He's an opposition leader. Of course that doesn't in itself mean he's not influential. 

2 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

No disrespect to lady footballers but I had to Google that name wondering who the hell it was. :D

Really? 

She is one of the main players leading the charge about equality between the pay between men and women in football. Women's get paid a fraction of what they men do, even though their popularity is almost even, crowds are massive, and they are way more successful. 

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Eco said:

Really? 

She is one of the main players leading the charge about equality between the pay between men and women in football. Women's get paid a fraction of what they men do, even though their popularity is almost even, crowds are massive, and they are way more successful. 

Aye, don't get me wrong but I am one of a lot more nowadays that enjoy watching ladies football just that name never rung a bell and straight away I thought "Who is that? [man]", I have even watched a ladies rugby match and quite enjoyed it and some of them lady rugby players I would not fancy bumping into one and start a fight, gulp. :shutup: :eek:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8tQllvMhNZLEueznC4RJ

180801124546-02-verity-smith-transgender

6 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Aye, don't get me wrong but I am one of a lot more nowadays that enjoy watching ladies football just that name never rung a bell and straight away I thought "Who is that? [man]", I have even watched a ladies rugby match and quite enjoyed it and some of them lady rugby players I would not fancy bumping into one and start a fight, gulp. :shutup: :eek:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8tQllvMhNZLEueznC4RJ

180801124546-02-verity-smith-transgender

But Alex Morgan is....well....hot. 

r446906_600x400_3-2.jpg

r304941_800x450_16-9.jpg

220px-Alex_and_Tobin_(36822026703)_(crop

13 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Well do doubt that e-sports, and the whole twitch scene has generated a lot money and a space for other companies to start to focus on the idea of streaming games. Google has just recently gotten into the field, as have other major players.

Plus - let's be honest, they try to reach all kinds of people, and which such a massive following, I was a little surprised to see him, but not really the more I think about. 

Do I think he is changing the world for the better/worse? Not that I can tell. But to be his age and get so much money from people paying to see you..means that he has a giant following.  

39 minutes ago, Eco said:

Really? 

I knew who she was but not aware she's been as influential as ninja. I don't like the equal pay idea tbh. It's well intentioned and could be fair in some instances but unless equal means paying the same proportion of earning to wages as in men's football, then I am not on board.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I knew who she was but not aware she's been as influential as ninja. I hate the equal pay idea tbh. It's well intentioned and could be fair in some instances but unless equal means playing the same proportion of earning to wages as in men's football, then I am not on board.

I think pay should based on output. If all things being equal and you aren't getting paid anywhere close as another group because of your gender, then that's wrong. 

Not many places around the world could do it, but our women's team has a massive following so looking at the numbers, it does appear our women are getting screwed out of a lot of money. And she, Alex, is the face of this movement (along with Hope Solo)

Might be one of the situations I support it then.

I'm on board with tennis having equal pay (and I don't give a shit about the 5 sets). Tennis is also structured in a perfect way to showcase female tennis with many eyeballs on it where it is near enough to equal.

I support measures from other sports to pursue ways to do things like that out similar that can help build the income stream for the female competition.

Archived