talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Let's Talk about Attendance

football forum

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kind of surprised the Milan clubs are above 50%. They always look like they have just a few people there. 

Wait, how is Barcelona only at 67% That can't be right? 

English clubs have failed their fans for decades in terms of capacity. Liverpool are piddling along with 54k when they could easily break 70k, Everton should be aiming at something similar to Spurs, Newcastle can expand etc. It's mainly to do with greed, clubs can make more from lower attendances but more corporate bollocks.

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

English clubs have failed their fans for decades in terms of capacity. Liverpool are piddling along with 54k when they could easily break 70k, Everton should be aiming at something similar to Spurs, Newcastle can expand etc. It's mainly to do with greed, clubs can make more from lower attendances but more corporate bollocks.

I'll disagree with you there. Larger stadiums means more upkeep, higher bills, and much more points of failure. The sport has certainly become more popular and more expensive, but I don't think asking teams the shell out millions of euros to expand their stadium is proof that teams are doing a disservice to the fans. 

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'll disagree with you there. Larger stadiums means more upkeep, higher bills, and much more points of failure. The sport has certainly become more popular and more expensive, but I don't think asking teams the shell out millions of euros to expand their stadium is proof that teams are doing a disservice to the fans. 

I'm not arsed about the 'club' as you define it, the whole epicentre of the club is the fans, the people from the area and who clubs represent. Liverpool for example, content to make shit loads from the wealthy and tourists, but don't do anything for the local support. They could fill well over 70k a week if they built the capacity and made them affordable to people. The clue is in the name of these clubs, but they are all beholden to lucre of the filthy money as the game becomes less and less about the area they're from and more about twats from wherever else who can't even begin to really get what the club means.

The World Cup Germany hosted has really helped boost their attendances.

No doubt if we held one and clubs stadium capacities were upgraded (and assuming these clubs played in the Prem) you’d see the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Everton, Newcastle, Villa, Leeds etc all regularly hitting that 60k-70k mark.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Eco said:

Wait, how is Barcelona only at 67% That can't be right? 

Last season they averaged 65731 per game and their stadium capacity is 99354 so it seems right to me...even less than 67% in fact.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Last season they averaged 65731 per game and their stadium capacity is 99354 so it seems right to me...even less than 67% in fact.

The downfall of having massive stadiums. 

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah this happens in Australian football. The MCG for most games is 40-60% full.

It's a really limiting factor on the atmosphere and excitement.  

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Eco said:

True but their attendance is still disappointingly low considering the stature of the club and the population numbers in city and nearby area. I mean if Schalke can get over 60000 average attendance regularly despite struggling while Gelsenkirchen has a population of less than 300k then one would certainly expect more than that from Barcelona with almost 5 million population in its urban area?...

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

True but their attendance is still disappointingly low considering the stature of the club and the population numbers in city and nearby area. I mean if Schalke can get over 60000 average attendance regularly despite struggling while Gelsenkirchen has a population of less than 300k then one would certainly expect more than that from Barcelona with almost 5 million population in its urban area?...

I nothing absolutely NOTHING on the economics of Spain, but I know in Italy that's the economy has struggled which has hurt the attendance throughout the country. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I get the corporate part of it but I dont get the lower attendance correlation? My assumption would be more space means more 'specialized' seating/privilege options? Pardon the ignorance here.

On 19/04/2019 at 19:45, Eco said:

Or maybe because the difference between the top and say mid table teams in La liga is too much which makes a great bunch of matches boring 

I'd say a top six side vs a mid table side in EPL will be more unpredictable than Barcelona vs Getafe etc which is mostly about whether it will be 3-0 Barca win or 4-1 Barca win 

On 19/04/2019 at 16:00, Stan said:

Can Newcastle expand though? I thought they were unable to do the smaller stand because of the houses/buildings behind it being listed? 

Correct. The East Stand (the smaller one you talk about) can't be expanded much/outwards because the buildings behind are listed buildings.

However I reckon some architects would be able to come up with something to add a couple of thousand to it.

The Gallowgate on the other hand could be expanded to take capacity to 60k. However Mike Ashley sold the lease on the land behind it that had been bought specifically by the previous owners in case we needed to expand to 60k.

Instead of a bigger stadium there will be yet more student accomodation. 

Archived