talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lionel Messi

List of a select few of the records held by the best player in the world:

-Record for most goals scored in a calendar year: 91

-First player ever to score consecutively against all teams in a professional league

-Only player to win four Ballon D'Or in a row and only player to have won five

-First player to ever score five goals in a Champions League match

-Most goals scored in a single season: 73

-Joint most hattricks in the Champions League

-El Clasico top scorer 

-Player with the most away goals scored in La Liga history

-Only player to have scored 50 goals in a single La Liga season

-Joint most hattricks in a single La Liga season

-Youngest player ever to score 200 La Liga goals

-Only player to ever score two hattricks in El Clasico ( one at Camp Nou and one at the Santiago Bernabeu )

-Youngest player to ever score an El Clasico hattrick: 19 years old

-Most assists in La Liga

-La Liga's all time top scorer

-FC Barcelona's all time top scorer ( and he became their all time top scorer at just 24 years old )

-Argentina's all time top scorer

-Only player to have been top scorer of the Champions League four years in a row

-Youngest player to ever win 3 Ballon D'Or

-Only player to have netted in 21 consecutive matches in a domestic league

-Player to have netted the most braces in La Liga history

-First player to ever reach 300 goals in La Liga history

-Youngest player to ever score 200 goals in La Liga history, he did it when he was just 25 years old

-Joint most goals for Argentina in a calendar year

-Only Argentine to score against all CONMEBOL teams

-Youngest Argentine to ever play in a World Cup game at just 18 years old

-Only player to ever become top scorer in three consecutive La Liga seasons

-Only player to ever score 40+ goals in 8 consecutive seasons 

-Only player to ever score in six separate competitions in the same season twice ( 2011 and 2015 )

-Most appearances in the Ballon D'Or final three

-Joint most international goals scored in a single year for both club and national team

-Only player to ever score 60+ goals in two consecutive seasons

-Joint most goals scored in the Champions League against a single opponent, having netted 9 goals against Arsenal

-Youngest player to ever reach 100 Champions League appearances

-Joint most Champions League top scorer awards

-Only player to ever score in 23 different cities in the Champions League

What have some of the biggest names in football have to say about Lionel Messi?

"Once they said they can only stop me with a pistol. Today you need a machine gun to stop Messi"~Hristo Stoichkov

"For me, to watch Messi is play is a pleasure-it's like having an orgasm-it's an incredible pleasure"~Luis Figo

"They tell me that all men are equal in God's eyes, this player makes you seriously think about those words"~Ray Hudson

"Messi is class. There's him, and then there is the rest. What he does is extraordinary"~Franck Ribery

"For the world of football, Messi is a treasure because he is a role model for children around the world… Messi will be the player to win the most Ballons d’Or in history. He will win five, six, seven. He is incomparable. He’s in a different league"~Johan Cruyff

"He is always going forwards. He never passes the ball backwards or sideways. He has only one idea, to run towards the goal. So as a football fan, just enjoy the show"~Zinedine Zidane

"Who is the Best Player in the World? Leo Messi. Who is the Best Player Ever? Leo Messi"~Arsene Wenger

"I have seen the player who will inherit my place in Argentine football and his name is Messi. Messi is a genius"~Diego Maradona

"Messi or Ronaldo best player in the world? In the world, I would say Ronaldo. Messi is from another planet"~Arda Turan

"Messi does not need his right foot. He only uses the left and he’s still the best in the world. Imagine if he also used his right foot, Then we would have serious problems"~Zlatan Ibrahimovic

"Who’s better, Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo? Messi. Ronaldo is good, but Messi is 10 times better"~Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

"Lionel Messi is quite clearly the best player ever. It’s a pleasure to pit myself against him and when I finish my career it’s something I can look back on and know I’ve tested myself against the very best"~John Terry

"In my entire life I have never seen a player of such quality and personality at such a young age, particularly wearing the ‘heavy’ shirt of one of the world’s great clubs... Before a game, you can plan for everything. But Messi can produce a move that no-one expects and change the game in an instant"~Fabio Capello

"Is Messi a real player or a PlayStation character?"~Radamel Falcao

"Messi is a genius. He has everything. When I watch him, I see a player who is very, very, skilful, very clever and his left foot is like Diego Maradona’s"~Franz Beckenbauer

"If he is so good, how can you express that? The superlatives ran out ages ago. On these pages, swearing has been tried. Or perhaps a symbol, something to signify that we have gone beyond words now"~Sid Lowe

"Don't write about him, don't try to describe him. Just watch him"~Pep Guardiola

"Messi is God, as a person and even more as a player. I knew him when he was a boy and I’ve watched him grow. He deserves it all"~Samuel Eto'o

"I think he reached and surpassed the level of Maradona. He does incredible things, at a speed that is insane"~Paolo Maldini

"Messi is a Joke, for me he is the Best Ever!"~Wayne Rooney

"Every time he plays, Leo Messi reminds me more of Maradona, both left-footed and short, Messi is the best player in the world.. For us it is not a surprise. Since he began to come and train with us and we knew we would go down this path. Someday I will explain that I was at the birth of one of the footballing greats: Leo Messi"~Ronaldinho

"I am not ashamed to admit that in the games against Barcelona I spent a lot of the time just hoping he would take up positions as far away from me as possible. Elusive is the word that immediately springs to mind when I think about Messi’s style of play. You think you have an eye on him and then – blink – he has gone, only to reappear somewhere else in space, with the ball"~Paul Scholes

"Messi is on a different level. The fact he is doing what he is year after year says that he is the best of all time"~Ruud Van Nistelrooy

"Messi is a once in a generation player. It’s unlikely that any human being will repeat his numbers"~Gianluigi Buffon

"My record stood for 40 years and now the best player in the world has broken it. I’m happy for him. Messi is fantastic. An incredible player, a giant. And such a nice and modest guy"~Gerd Muller

"Messi is the Best. There must be life out there somewhere, on some other planet. Because he is too good and we are just too bad for him"~Jurgen Klopp

"There is no doubt that Messi is the best player in the world"~Ronaldo (Brazil)

"Critics have always questioned whether players like Pele from the 50s could play today. Lionel Messi could play in the 1950s and the present day, as could Di Stefano, Pele, Maradona, Cruyff because they are all great players. Lionel Messi without question fits into that category"~Sir Alex Ferguson

"Messi is like a PlayStation. He can take advantage of every mistake we make. He made the impossible, possible. He has something exceptional. In the biggest games, exceptional players still make the difference. Messi is the best player in the world, and by a distance"~Arsene Wenger

Messi.jpg

Messi 2.jpg

messi 3.jpg

messi 4.jpg

messi 5 ballon d'or.jpg

messi.PNG

messi 10.jpg

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

4813be35fb60c70a91296e795e39faf4.jpg

Lionel Messi to renew for 4 years and a €400m buy-out clause

According to Cadena SER (Spanish radio station), Lionel Messi's signature on his contract renewal is a matter of days away and everything has already been agreed.  The only thing both the club and the player are waiting for is for the new fiscal program for the new year to kick into action so as to make the new contract fiscally apt.

Lionel Messi will sign a new contract that will take him to 2021 with an optional two years if the player sees fit which would in effect be a six year contract.  His buy-out clause will be raised from €280m to €400m if sources are to be believed and it does actually seem to be legitimate due to his latest statements this morning in Argentina where he's with his national team preparing for a series of games with Argentina and World Cup qualification.

On an Argentinian radio station Lionel Messi had this to say...

On his contract renewal;

"It's what I've always wanted and what I've dreamed of...  I want to finish my career at Barça.  All I think about is my life in Barcelona wth my family and friends.  My children are happy and at school there, my wife has a successful business there and I've been there since I was a child.  Right now all I see is hoping to help Argentina qualify for the World Cup in Russia and then my life in Barcelona and doing everything I can for my club to win as many titles as possible for the fans."

"It has been a gift from God for me to have ended up this way because destiny seems to have been at play and my destination being Barcelona.  It's God that has gifted me these things I enjoy now from a time when my family was suffering and made the correct decisions."

On Argentina losing the Copa América, Barça this season and Cristiano Ronaldo;

"At Barça we start every season with a project that is planned out to compete for every honour we are participating in.  So obviously only winning the Copa del Rey has been a disappointing season because at Barcelona only winning matters.  We made some errors along the way and some decisions didn't help us either, but that's football and where you're hindered one season, another you're benefited and so it goes the other way.  Without some modem of luck along the way you don't win the top honours because perfection doesn't exist.  But be sure that the club are working hard to give our new coach all the tools possible to be more effective next season."

"Losing with your country is a devastating feeling.  Losing on penalties is even worse and I will forever feel that it was my fault when I messed my penalty kick...  I can only strike the ball as best as I can from a dead spot.  It's different when you're running on goal and you are thinking so many things in such a short space of time which can benefit you.  On a penalty kick, you strike it, try and put it on target and hope the keeper doesn't guess the right way.  It's not easy to recover from something like that because you feel the weight on your shoulders of a whole nation especially a country like Argentina that lives for its football.  But we are the players that we are and with what we have we can only try...  I am part of a team and I am not the one and only factor for deciding football matches.  I can only do my best."

"Cristiano Ronaldo is a magnificent footballer.  I don't exactly understand why you guys keep on asking me this because it seems you are searching for a headline that just doesn't exist.  That rivalry the press go on about has been totally fabricated by the press, by you guys.  There is no individual rivalry, at least not from me!  There is club rivalry, yes, and we want to win everything and win more than they do, but there is no bitter feeling from myself toward Cristiano and I've never felt it coming from him to myself either. All of this is only important for you guys to sell your news and both Cristiano and myself can only give our best for the benefit of our clubs."

On when Messi will be signing the new contract;

"Everything will be made public when the club decides it's the best moment.  Right now I'm on duty for my country and then I will await for instructions as to when we will finalise everything."

Good news, the team as a whole could have been much better last season, but you couldn't have really asked much more from Messi really. From an individual perspective, he had a brilliant season. He's arguably more important to the club than he's ever been to be honest.

Good news. Barcelona gave him everything so it only makes sense he gives them everything. 

Despite the nonsense people saying that he needs to switch clubs, I'm glad he will finish off at Barcelona. 

• 3 weeks later...

It looks as if Lionel Messi could be officially signing his contract renewal with FCB today. He is currently on his honeymoon after being married over the weekend in Rosario, Argentina.

Messi has arrived this morning in the city of Barcelona as a stop-off before continuing his honeymoon.

So anytime this morning could be the moment the club officially aanounces Messi's continuance at FC Barcelona. 

2 minutes ago, True Blue said:

He will be on 500k+ a week? Well fuck me lot of tax to be evaded there.

That tax is paid directly by the club. The tax these players get done for is their own personal dealings such as sponsorships and what not. 

It's not like going to Barcelona is an interruption in anyone's holiday... :P

But in all seriousness... Messi himself was the one that decided all of this. Barça wanted to wait until the players are due for return on the 20th I think. 

On 7/6/2017 at 0:08 PM, Viva la FCB said:

This is great and all but does he have an ugly disfigured statue made after a far fetched likeness of himself? checkmate.

That is a contradiction for Messi.

• The title was changed to Messi Renews Barça Contract

Archived