talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your Team's Unsung Hero

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Hard to say for this season as many of our squad have been consistently inconsistent or have had their praises sung at some point.

I'll probably go for Wilfried Ndidi though. Everyone knows the fuss about Vardy, Tielemans, Maddison, Pereira, Chilwell etc but Ndidi is our 'enforcer' in the defensive midfield position. Whether it's for Puel or for Rodgers, it's that position he's been employed in to break up opposition attacks and shield the defence behind him. He does that to great effect and it's been even more noticeable under Rodgers as he has sacrificed the other defensive-minded midfielder (Mendy) who Puel employed as a partnership, somewhat too defensively especially at home. So Ndidi is just left to it by himself really with the occasional help from other players. 

He joined in January 2017 so has only been here for just a bit over 2 years and made an instant impact. Last season he kind of went off the boil but I think many, especially our own fans, forget he's still only 22 years old and he's becoming fairly experienced in this league. I think he's got the highest amount of tackles in the league this season which shows he's doing his job but he does it with no airs and graces - literally just gets on with the job and when you're in a team that focuses on attacking play, it's often the defensive aspect gets forgotten about which is why I see Ndidi as an unsung hero because he puts in the hard graft where other players won't, so also provides a decent balance to the team as well. 

There's still some stuff he has to improve like his passing for example but that I'd hope would improve and develop along with the experience over the next few years.

For us, it's very difficult but if I had to choose it would be between Giroud and if I was at Stamford Bridge, I'd get shot for saying this but I'm going to go also with Jorginho.

Both haven't been consistent throughout the season, Giroud struggled in the first half a bit and Jorginho definitely struggled and was poor in the middle part. However, Giroud through his positive performances has got himself into the position towards the end of the season where he should be starting most games on merit. Giroud gets the recognition from the fans though for this but with Morata and Higuaín being about he has been unlucky to not play a lot more throughout the season considering for the most part he's done relatively well compared to his two teammates.

Jorginho despite being inconsistent and he was very poor in the middle part of the season for example, perhaps doesn't get the credit he deserves. His form dipped but it dipped with the rest of the team and he gets harshly singled out when a lot of the other players' performances lowered as well. When we've played well this season, I'm thinking of one off performances, Jorginho has normally been one of the better performers in those games and perhaps doesn't get enough credit for some of the good stuff he's done this season. Don't get me wrong, he has deserved criticism this season and I'm not saying he's immune from that but he's also done a lot of good things as well. In our good moments this season, he's gone under the radar a bit and for that reason, I'd say he gets the unsung hero tag. One of those players that could well be more appreciated by the fanbase in the future. It took a while for Drogba to win over the Chelsea fans but then again he was more suited to the football in this league. Anyway, I still have faith in Jorginho.

• Subscriber

I was going to say Ricardo Pereira for us but he's actually looking very likely to win our player of the season so he's hardly unsung.

Jonny Evans for me. I think he's been comfortably our best centre half and the results / goals conceded with and without him speak volumes. A cracking signing for just £3million.

Robertson and gini.

Maybe the best season of a Liverpool fullback that I've ever seen yet not even in the conversation for POTY.

Gini has made it so hard for naby to get into the side which is testament to the quality year he's had. Especially in the first part of the season where he was probably our best player.

• Subscriber

Probably still Gueye but even defensive midfielders aren't really "unsung" heroes anymore in this age of hipster statisticians on Twitter clamouring to show everyone how clever they are by pointing out Joe Allen's 93% pass completion or Idrissa Gueye's winning possession 8 times in the opposition half which you probably didn't notice because you're not as deep and insightful as they are.

I'd say Digne is up there as well. Gets loads of credit from our fan base but on a wider level, he gets some attention from neutrals and the media but nowhere near as much as he should. His stats are incredible, best attacking full back in the league in most areas and very solid defensively as well. Only Robertson can claim to have been a better player this season in that position.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Probably still Gueye but even defensive midfielders aren't really "unsung" heroes anymore in this age of hipster statisticians on Twitter clamouring to show everyone how clever they are by pointing out Joe Allen's 93% pass completion or Idrissa Gueye's winning possession 8 times in the opposition half which you probably didn't notice because you're not as deep and insightful as they are.

I'd say Digne is up there as well. Gets loads of credit from our fan base but on a wider level, he gets some attention from neutrals and the media but nowhere near as much as he should. His stats are incredible, best attacking full back in the league in most areas and very solid defensively as well. Only Robertson can claim to have been a better player this season in that position.

So painfully accurate.

40 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Gini, Milner and Matip.

I hope Milner is given a contract extension. Such a handy player to have in the squad and has a good influence over others. 

Milner still has a year left I think?

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

True definition of an unsung hero. 

Most here are calling a workhorse midfielder unsung, which is no surprise. But we've had the same right back since 2012/13. He's fast, he's a genuine goal threat, he can defend well, he's never injured, he's better than we deserve. But the defence is an unglamourous position. Guy is a champion, he deserves a trophy, and hopefully with the DFB cup we can give him one. 

15 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I Googled and it ends this June. 

Yeah I've just checked and that Transfermarkt site says 2019. But then there's this from the Echo:

“There seems to have been a bit of confusion around the length of James Milner’s contract but I’ve checked and it definitely runs until the summer of 2020,” he said.

“That’s why there’s no rush to think about an extension and all parties are relaxed about the situation."

Who knows? Haha

7 minutes ago, Rick said:

No doubt he will extend after that. He's still got a lot to offer, and James himself looks very happy here.

I'm kind of thinking we should let go one of Hendo or Milner tbh. Great servants of the club but I think to go to the next level we need a more clear cut best 11 and can't keep rotating equal playing time through any 3 of Gini, naby, faby, Hendo, Lallana, ox and Milner.

Archived