talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Potential Impact of Man City on the Premier League's Future

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

As long as the other big clubs in the league prevent City from being the Bayern Munich to our Dortmund, I think the league will be more competitive. And when Pep leaves challengers probably won’t need to pretty much shoot for perfection to win

When Pep leaves in 5+ years we are getting Klopp :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

City could probably win 4 or 5 out of 10 though. But you’d assume Chelsea will come back, Liverpool will stay strong at least under Klopp, etc. Only Spurs and Arsenal are content not winning the title. At least 4 of the six expect to compete for it so would not tolerate one team at the top breaking away for a sustained period.

3 hours ago, Danny said:

Bayern, Juve and PSG all poor comparisons.

City’s money has been around for ages, they’re only this dominant because of Guardiola who won’t be around for ages.

I disagree. They're dominant because Sheikacola has a long term plan and the patience to implement it. 

• Subscriber

I think not but do think this season is an indicator of what is to come in the next few years and don't think that Liverpool challenging for the title will be out of the ordinary.

As others have stated, the difference here is that Man City aren't going to be able to pick off the stars from the other teams. If Van Dijk, Hazard or Kane went to Man City then I think you've got a bit of a problem but ultimately, the rest of the top six are just too powerful to allow it to happen and nor do I think there would be as big a clamour for players to move to Man City as those at Dortmund would have to move to Bayern. I know Sterling left Liverpool for Man City but I think it's a sign of Liverpool's progression that if this situation arose again, it wouldn't happen now.

Liverpool have gotten their act together after years of under-performance to the point I considered them how I probably consider Arsenal today - a strong side for the league but not a particularly intimidating one, nor a serious trophy threat. That's changed now and I consider them, along with Man City in the best 5 teams in the world and ultimately very powerful. Those two are going nowhere anytime soon even if Guardiola does leave.

Tottenham I think will continue to be what they are now - an admirably good side who have over-performed massively to get where they are given their outlay, but will ultimately fall short of the biggest prizes. This Champions League is as far as I'm concerned their best shot under Pochettino at serious silverware.

Arsenal I honestly just don't know. I think Emery's probably going to be a transitional manager for them for 2/3 years before they move onto someone a bit better.

Chelsea I think won't win anything serious for a long time now and think they've had their day a bit. Probably a bit harsh but I feel with them that they relied on financial muscle which they don't really have in relation to the others anymore, and there's a lot structurally wrong with them that means they're some way off competing again. The difference with Chelsea now is they're not buying the top players anymore. I think they've signed three top players in seven years and that's not good enough.

Manchester United. They're the biggest conundrum and they're absolutely fucked as far as I'm concerned, and I've said it for ages that they are fundamentally broken as a club - they have their priorities not actually with winning trophies and in an era where the top sides are this strong you can't be that complacent. I predict a rise in anti-Glazer rhetoric in the next few years, but no serious trophies in the process.

Basically now I think unless something drastically changes, Man City and Liverpool will be the only winners of this league for the next 5 years.

Unless Leicester fancy just turning brilliant again for no reason at all.

7 hours ago, Danny said:

Bayern, Juve and PSG all poor comparisons.

City’s money has been around for ages, they’re only this dominant because of Guardiola who won’t be around for ages.

While this is true, it has taken some time to attract the top players in the world so the money has only really be used to it's full for the last 5 years in which time we have won more silverware than any other Premier League team and Pep will be with us for at least another 5 seasons

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I disagree. They're dominant because Sheikacola has a long term plan and the patience to implement it. 

This is very true. Having money isn't what got this City team where it is. It was the careful planning of Shk. Mansour's committee and the Abu Dhabi group that got them where they are. Those papers that leaked months ago which exposed all the dealings they did, while scandalous, outlines one very important point, they had everything in line before they started to make big strides towards bringing in the best players and eventually one of the best managers they could afford. If they had gone the gung-ho route like lets say Fulham they'd have collapsed within a season but they bided their time and did it slowly and methodically. Even if you hate them as a footballing entity you have to admire how they went about doing their business with the shell companies and setting up feeder clubs to allow transfers to look stupid on paper but then turn those around as well.

I imagine they'll go in for at least two big names in the summer and not to win the league but to try and make a push in Europe. The domestic league will continue to be a target but they want to win a European cup to be classed as a modern elite footballing club. I'd even go so far to say they'll bring in a big name player who is experienced and not a new runner as they'll need better rotation in the defensive half of their game to overcome the inherent Guardiola flaw that has seen them fail in the CL.

5 hours ago, Mel81x said:

This is very true. Having money isn't what got this City team where it is. It was the careful planning of Shk. Mansour's committee and the Abu Dhabi group that got them where they are. Those papers that leaked months ago which exposed all the dealings they did, while scandalous, outlines one very important point, they had everything in line before they started to make big strides towards bringing in the best players and eventually one of the best managers they could afford. If they had gone the gung-ho route like lets say Fulham they'd have collapsed within a season but they bided their time and did it slowly and methodically. Even if you hate them as a footballing entity you have to admire how they went about doing their business with the shell companies and setting up feeder clubs to allow transfers to look stupid on paper but then turn those around as well.

I imagine they'll go in for at least two big names in the summer and not to win the league but to try and make a push in Europe. The domestic league will continue to be a target but they want to win a European cup to be classed as a modern elite footballing club. I'd even go so far to say they'll bring in a big name player who is experienced and not a new runner as they'll need better rotation in the defensive half of their game to overcome the inherent Guardiola flaw that has seen them fail in the CL.

I remember I was talking about shell companies with @LFCMadLad once. He was getting worked up with me because he thought I was talking about the petrol station. Haha, good times.

12 hours ago, Dan said:

I think not but do think this season is an indicator of what is to come in the next few years and don't think that Liverpool challenging for the title will be out of the ordinary.

As others have stated, the difference here is that Man City aren't going to be able to pick off the stars from the other teams. If Van Dijk, Hazard or Kane went to Man City then I think you've got a bit of a problem but ultimately, the rest of the top six are just too powerful to allow it to happen and nor do I think there would be as big a clamour for players to move to Man City as those at Dortmund would have to move to Bayern. I know Sterling left Liverpool for Man City but I think it's a sign of Liverpool's progression that if this situation arose again, it wouldn't happen now.

Liverpool have gotten their act together after years of under-performance to the point I considered them how I probably consider Arsenal today - a strong side for the league but not a particularly intimidating one, nor a serious trophy threat. That's changed now and I consider them, along with Man City in the best 5 teams in the world and ultimately very powerful. Those two are going nowhere anytime soon even if Guardiola does leave.

Tottenham I think will continue to be what they are now - an admirably good side who have over-performed massively to get where they are given their outlay, but will ultimately fall short of the biggest prizes. This Champions League is as far as I'm concerned their best shot under Pochettino at serious silverware.

Arsenal I honestly just don't know. I think Emery's probably going to be a transitional manager for them for 2/3 years before they move onto someone a bit better.

Chelsea I think won't win anything serious for a long time now and think they've had their day a bit. Probably a bit harsh but I feel with them that they relied on financial muscle which they don't really have in relation to the others anymore, and there's a lot structurally wrong with them that means they're some way off competing again. The difference with Chelsea now is they're not buying the top players anymore. I think they've signed three top players in seven years and that's not good enough.

Manchester United. They're the biggest conundrum and they're absolutely fucked as far as I'm concerned, and I've said it for ages that they are fundamentally broken as a club - they have their priorities not actually with winning trophies and in an era where the top sides are this strong you can't be that complacent. I predict a rise in anti-Glazer rhetoric in the next few years, but no serious trophies in the process.

Basically now I think unless something drastically changes, Man City and Liverpool will be the only winners of this league for the next 5 years.

Unless Leicester fancy just turning brilliant again for no reason at all.

Chelsea...Do we know why that is?

Was Romans bank accounts frozen when Russia annexed Crimea or something...? Or has he just lost interest?

United... I don't disagree with your assessment but I challenge the belief that a big name player and 6th place puts United in better marketing position in Asia than 2nd place with no big name to speak of... I'm not sure they would disagree but I think they will have realised this year that you can't just expect success and they need to be a bit more patient. They still may have more lessons to learn there though as I think their desire for Zidane was suggessive they are still off chasing shiny objects in the hope of instant success.

What are you losers talking about? Abramovic is hiding in Israel because he was linked with the assassination of a former oligarch and partner Berezovsky in London.  Abramovic reportedly tried to offload the club due to being a persona non grata in the UK. Besides at this point in time it is obfuscsted as to how much money is being spent by the billionaire as opposed to balooning tv deals and sponsors. Chelsea is a big enough entity to survive without Abramovic which is why other investors have baulked at his inflated valuation of the club.

I really doubt Abramovic is thinking about the club too much these days with his involvement in clandestine Russian politics. The only reason Abramovic is the on of the last remaining Yeltsin oligarchs is because he threw his lot in with Putin instead of opposing him. He is a Putin stooge and I doubt any of his assets were frozen as long as he remains so

City won't become Juventus or PSG. Yes, they have the money, but they had the money when Chelsea, Leicester & Utd won the league in recent years. Once Guardiola leaves they will end up with a manager who isn't as good. 

Even with Guardiola, we have pushed them the full way. 

On 23/04/2019 at 19:23, Rick said:

City won't become Juventus or PSG. Yes, they have the money, but they had the money when Chelsea, Leicester & Utd won the league in recent years. Once Guardiola leaves they will end up with a manager who isn't as good. 

Even with Guardiola, we have pushed them the full way. 

I think the difference between Juve, PSG or Bayern compared to City, is that the continental giants' competitors are the type of teams who can't reliably hold onto players, even to clubs on the same or lower level as them.

Dortmund not only lose their very best players to the likes of Bayern and Barcelona, but they also lose important players like Mkhi and Aubameyang to other just-below elite teams like Arsenal and United. Napoli might push Juventus close but ultimately they'll lose players and their manager to Chelsea, who are at the moment fighting for top-4. Likewise, Monaco got ripped apart not just by PSG and City but also by Liverpool, Atletico and Chelsea.

The big English clubs don't have that problem, except with the likes of Barcelona, Madrid and PSG. They can keep building and building without being forced to start from scratch. City on the other hand you must think are somewhere near the peak of performance that is possible - they can buy more players, but surely to god they can't get much better. 

You do wonder what next season will be like, or any season while Guardiola is there. Liverpool have done supremely well to keep up with them, but I can't see Manchester City getting under 90 points with Guardiola at the helm, will Liverpool do it again next season, will anyone else? I think next season might be like Serie A this year, where Napoli fell away from an immense year last year (albeit losing their manager and key player) and it might be even more routine for Manchester City.

26 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

You do wonder what next season will be like, or any season while Guardiola is there. Liverpool have done supremely well to keep up with them, but I can't see Manchester City getting under 90 points with Guardiola at the helm, will Liverpool do it again next season, will anyone else? I think next season might be like Serie A this year, where Napoli fell away from an immense year last year (albeit losing their manager and key player) and it might be even more routine for Manchester City.

At Barcelona they did drop in points every season I think, though I don't think they went below 90. Bayern likewise had a big drop off in one season though that was Dortmund's disaster season. 

Still, it's undeniable that Liverpool's squad has a lot of room for improvement. I don't think Liverpool could challenge for the title in the same style as they have season but they will presumably just be an overall better team. 

It's less obvious what we need to do to improve in the summer relative to what was required last year. And any such improvement will be more incremental.

City should again be looking more at the CL next year but still going to be the team to beat. What's needed is a strong United Chelsea and Arsenal to make things more unpredictable and provide more opportunities for the top team to drop points....

Archived