talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Team of the Season (2018/19)

• Administrator

In line with Player of the Season and Young Player of the Season awards to be announced in the next couple of weeks, what's your team of the season? Who has impressed in each position for you?

Mine:

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold - Van Dijk - Luiz - Robertson

Gueye

Salah - Hazard - Sterling

Son - Aguero

Alternative XI

Ederson

Doherty - Stones - Laporte - Digne

Ndidi

B.Silva - Eriksen - Mane

Vardy - Jimenez

Other options:
GK - De Gea, Kepa, Lloris
RB - Walker, Pereira, Wan-Bissaka
CB - Otamendi, Boly, Alderweireld, Vertonghen
LB - Chilwell, Shaw

DM/CM/CAM - Moutinho, Pogba, Fernandinho, Herrera, Sigurdsson, Henderson, Jorginho, Maddison, Kante, Doucoure
RM/RW - Sane, Felipe Anderson, Deulofeu
LM/LW - Brooks, Fraser, Zaha

ST - Kane, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Firmino, Wilson, Jota

First XI was actually much harder to get the front players involved in the right positions. Didn't fancy going all Garth Crooks and play players out of position just to shoe-horn them in. 

Ideally there's even some players from the Other Options category I'd like to get in but can't fit them in anywhere. Guess it goes to show just how many players have had decent seasons; some more than others obviously. Consistency, or lack of, is usually the issue for many of them...

N.B - I think De Bruyne would be there had he not suffered some bad injuries this season.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Mine's going to be Liverpool and City players, tbh.

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold Van Djik Stones Robertson

Fernandinho

Henderson Silva

Salah Aguero Sterling

I did think about doing that as well xD But then thought that's unfair on some other players that have performed well in teams outside the top 2 (Hazard being the main one really).

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

I did think about doing that as well xD But then thought that's unfair on some other players that have performed well in teams outside the top 2 (Hazard being the main one really).

Yeah it's harsh on Hazard and a few others, but I mean those 3 attackers are the most productive attackers in the league. Fernandinho is probably the best defensive midfielder, Henderson/Wijnaldum were really interchangeable for me so I just put Hendo in because he's gotten a lot of shite over the years. Silva I feel like I couldn't leave out - but I could have put Eriksen in there and maybe I should have. With the defense, I know I'm a bit biased, but it's a bit hard to argue against Virgil Van Djik and our fullbacks. The other centreback is harder to pick, but I think it's got to be between Stones/Laporte. There's probably other shouts that you could make a reasonable argument for, I just don't know if I'd believe them. If Matip had started, or if Gomez hadn't gotten hurt, I'd probably pick an all LFC back 4.

And it also felt a bit wrong leaving Mane out with how good he's been this season, but I also think Salah deserves some recognition for how well he's done this season considering he's been "poor" and yet is keeping pace with Aguero and Sterling in terms of goal contributions.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah it's harsh on Hazard and a few others, but I mean those 3 attackers are the most productive attackers in the league. Fernandinho is probably the best defensive midfielder, Henderson/Wijnaldum were really interchangeable for me so I just put Hendo in because he's gotten a lot of shite over the years. Silva I feel like I couldn't leave out - but I could have put Eriksen in there and maybe I should have. With the defense, I know I'm a bit biased, but it's a bit hard to argue against Virgil Van Djik and our fullbacks. The other centreback is harder to pick, but I think it's got to be between Stones/Laporte. There's probably other shouts that you could make a reasonable argument for, I just don't know if I'd believe them. If Matip had started, or if Gomez hadn't gotten hurt, I'd probably pick an all LFC back 4.

And it also felt a bit wrong leaving Mane out with how good he's been this season, but I also think Salah deserves some recognition for how well he's done this season considering he's been "poor" and yet is keeping pace with Aguero and Sterling in terms of goal contributions.

I originally had Fernandinho in the first XI. I know stats aren't everything but I did a bit of research and comparison in to things like tackles, interceptions, duels won, defensive performance, blocks and Gueye/Ndidi both come above Fernandinho in that respect. So thought I'd switch it up but that's in no way to downplay his involvement in City's tactics. I think he's had much better seasons before though.

RE: Salah/Mane. If Salah hadn't picked up form and important goals in the last few weeks I think he'd be in the 2nd XI (which weirdly would still seem harsh?) and Mane would be ahead. I guess it could be argued either way because of how pivotal they've both been to Liverpool's success this season. A case can be made for both, really. The goals stats perhaps just have him ever so slightly ahead.

For me I had to have Sterling and Hazard in, as well as Son over Bernardo Silva, even though he (Silva) has made more of an impression than he ever has at City this season. Hard to believe he's only 24 and what kind of player he could still become.

Van Dijk and your full-backs simply have to be in. Dare I say though that if Van Dijk wasn't in your central defence then the full-backs may not get a mention. Just goes to show the impact VVD has had for Liverpool. Not only made you defensively stronger but perhaps given confidence to the full-backs knowing they have some kind of stalwart at the back to protect them when they go and attack.

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

I originally had Fernandinho in the first XI. I know stats aren't everything but I did a bit of research and comparison in to things like tackles, interceptions, duels won, defensive performance, blocks and Gueye/Ndidi both come above Fernandinho in that respect. So thought I'd switch it up but that's in no way to downplay his involvement in City's tactics. I think he's had much better seasons before though.

RE: Salah/Mane. If Salah hadn't picked up form and important goals in the last few weeks I think he'd be in the 2nd XI (which weirdly would still seem harsh?) and Mane would be ahead. I guess it could be argued either way because of how pivotal they've both been to Liverpool's success this season. A case can be made for both, really. The goals stats perhaps just have him ever so slightly ahead.

For me I had to have Sterling and Hazard in, as well as Son over Bernardo Silva, even though he (Silva) has made more of an impression than he ever has at City this season. Hard to believe he's only 24 and what kind of player he could still become.

Van Dijk and your full-backs simply have to be in. Dare I say though that if Van Dijk wasn't in your central defence then the full-backs may not get a mention. Just goes to show the impact VVD has had for Liverpool. Not only made you defensively stronger but perhaps given confidence to the full-backs knowing they have some kind of stalwart at the back to protect them when they go and attack.

I think with Salah a lot of it is just perception. Yes, he hasn't been as good as he was last season. But last season he was unreal - this season he's still playing great football. And then there was that goal drought before he hit 50 league goals for us (in 69 games, the madlad went on a goal drought so his record would have 69 in it - legend). Meanwhile Mane went on a fantastic scoring run. And I think that's more fresh in people's memories, especially around the time for voting for player of the year.

I think realistically though, only one of our front 3 can make the team of the season this year... and it's really between Salah and Mane who've both been outstanding. It's harsh for either one to be left out of the team. I think you can make an argument for both of them, I think there's a better argument for Salah though. Love them both mind you.

It's pretty easy this year.

Alisson - Kept the most clean sheets in his debut season and bar a couple memorable cock up's, has kept things pretty simple in goal and learnt from earlier errors. Liverpool's achilles heel has finally been solved.

Alexander Arnold - A great follow up season for the kid after bursting onto the scene last year, he's shown his critics that he's starting to add consistency to his game and looking like making the England RB slot his own too.

Van Dijk - Best centre back in the league and the lynchpin of Liverpool's success. Just grown and grown as the season has gone on. Has an outstanding chance of being PFA Player of the Year and it's time a defender was recognised for his importance again.

Laporte - A real come of age season for the young Frenchman who has established himself as the first choice centre back and shown great versatility in filling in at Left Back also. Pep plays him every league game and pretty much every Champions League game which shows how much he is valued above Kompany, Stones and Otamendi.

Robertson - The best full back domestically and one of the best now in Europe. Was neck and neck with Mendy at the start of the season till the Frenchman got injured and has maintained his high level of performance. Continues to add another dimension to Liverpool's attack's with regular assists and never seems to get tired. Would love to see him add a few goals to his game.

Bernardo - This season has very much seen one Silva gradually on the decline and another taking over his shoes. Bilva is always at the heart of City's attacking play and in a year where David Silva has been a little off, De Bruyne has often been missed for injury, Mahrez has struggled and Sane has been in and out the team, Bernardo has thrived on his role as chief creator. Most improved player in this line up for me.

Fernandinho - He continues to be the general in midfield, doing the dirty work and allowing others to do what they are best at. His importance is felt everytime he is absentwhich speaks volumes.

Eriksson - A driving force behind Spurs' relatively successful season despite all their off field issues and still their best player. 

Sterling - For someone so heavily criticised, he has been phenomenal, not only improving on last season but also showing signs his finishing is getting better and better. Still so young, he has been devastating in all competitions and no one will complain if he is awarded PFA Player of the Year.

Aguero - Rolled back the years again with another solid season. Pep has managed his minutes very carefully to get the best out of him and once again, he's ever dependable when City need him.

Mane - Out of Liverpool's front three, Mane has been the standout performer this year over Salah and Firmino grabbing what I'd call the more 'important' goals. I also feel he's been the most consistent performer. 

This is pretty much the team of the year bar a couple changes based on individual preference IMO. But this would certainly be my pick.

• Administrator

Happy Blue's Team

Ederson

Walker - Otamendi - Stones - Laporte - Kompany - Zinchenko - Mendy

Gundogan - Fernandinho

B. Silva - D. Silva - De Bruyne - Foden - Sane - Mahrez - Sterling

Jesus - Aguero

Manager: @Happy Blue

• Subscriber

Think Digne has a better claim to the left back slot than he'll get credit for just because Robertson has been a part of that Liverpool team. Don't know whether it's quite enough to put him ahead of Robertson but it's a lot closer than people will acknowledge. I'm going to get around this by putting both of them in as I don't think there's been a standout right back as consistent throughout the season.

My team:

Alisson

Digne Van Dijk Laporte Robertson

Fernandinho Wijnaldum

Salah Son Hazard

Aguero

Honourable mentions: Mane, Eriksen, Fraser, Vardy, Aubameyang.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Think Digne has a better claim to the left back slot than he'll get credit for just because Robertson has been a part of that Liverpool team. Don't know whether it's quite enough to put him ahead of Robertson but it's a lot closer than people will acknowledge. I'm going to get around this by putting both of them in as I don't think there's been a standout right back as consistent throughout the season.

My team:

Alisson

Fernandinho Wijnaldum

Salah Son Hazard

Aguero

Bellend forgot Sterling. He can replace Son with Son joining the list below.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

My team:

Alisson

Fernandinho Wijnaldum

Salah Son Hazard

Aguero

No Sterling?

EDIT: Just seen latest post.

• Subscriber

Allison

TAA - van Dijk - Laporte - Robertson

Fernandinho

Bernardo - Wijnaldum

Sterling - Aguero - Hazard

It was extremely hard to leave out Salah mind but I just think Hazard's carried Chelsea a bit.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

My team:

Alisson

Fernandinho Wijnaldum

Salah Son Hazard

Aguero

Have to say if I didn't put TAA in, I'd have gone for Matt Doherty at Wolves. I think he's had a brilliant season. Two of my Wolves supporting pals have raved about him all season and from what I've seen, I can understand why.

Such a driving force going forward for Wolves and chipped in with valuable goals and assists. Crazy how he get's himself in tje 6 yard box so much for a wing back.

Not sure if he can repeat that next season but this is about his year and he's been one of the finds of the season and pretty consistent in my eyes. 

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Have to say if I didn't put TAA in, I'd have gone for Matt Doherty at Wolves. I think he's had a brilliant season. Two of my Wolves supporting pals have raved about him all season and from what I've seen, I can understand why.

Such a driving force going forward for Wolves and chipped in with valuable goals and assists. Crazy how he get's himself in tje 6 yard box so much for a wing back.

Not sure if he can repeat that next season but this is about his year and he's been one of the finds of the season and pretty consistent in my eyes. 

Yeah I really rate Doherty, perfect for their system.

Not sure why Salah makes so many peoples team TBH. Some have admitted he's been poor for long stretches of the season. Probably doesn't deserve to be in the best 11, and it's not as though there isn't loads of options with other players who have been top top performers (Hazard, Eriksson, B Silva, Son Sterling KDB)

---------------------------------------Alisson---------------------------------------

Doherty---------Van Dijk-------------Laporte--------------Robertson

-----------------------Fernandinho-------Wijnaldum------------------------

Hazard-----------------------------Erkisson--------------------------Sterling

------------------------------------------Aguero----------------------------------------

4 man city

4 liverpool

1 spurs

1 Chelsea

1 Wolves

9 hours ago, Stan said:

Happy Blue's Team

Ederson

Walker - Otamendi - Stones - Laporte - Kompany - Zinchenko - Mendy

Gundogan - Fernandinho

B. Silva - D. Silva - De Bruyne - Foden - Sane - Mahrez - Sterling

Jesus - Aguero

Manager: @Happy Blue

Saved me a job :twothumbsup:  ..Sterling & Bernardo should be in everyone's team

• Administrator

No fucking way?!

Seriously how the fuck has Pogba got there but players like Hazard, Eriksen, Son aren't?! 

Makes a mockery of however that's been selected including Pogba there. 

Archived