talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Team of the Season (2018/19)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Machado said:

D48wu6IWwAACxjh?format=jpg

Hmmm... Hazard missing here.

Eriksen and Ramsey to name two, have had better seasons than Pogba.

This team is my team apart from Pogba, how the fuck has he got in??  ...it's like one of them pictures with a random guy popping up in the back ground xD

18 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Eriksen has been largely dreadful for months. Weird list.

Oh sorry, that's Inverted's own pick.

I picked him because he's basically Spurs' only properly creative player. Their style of play is a huge burden on him and he mostly manages it. 

• Administrator

'Dreadful' is a bit of a stretch as well.

Son's been better and probably Spurs' best player this season but Eriksen hasn't been as bad as dreadful. 

Arguably could perhaps score more given his attacking position but 12 assists isn't bad.

If anyone has been dreadful it's probably been Dele Alli given how well he's played in previous 2 seasons. But then again, a season that's been hampered by injuries is bound to have an effect.

Either way, Eriksen has been better than Pogba which is the main comparison point; Pogba should be nowhere near that team of the season and Eriksen has more of a reason to be there. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Hazard leads assists and scored 16 goals. Only Messi leads him in chances created this season. 

So if Pogba is there on 'stats', it makes the whole thing incredibly contradictory. 

Whether we like it or not, he's there based on votes from his fellow pros. They've probably been influenced by his form around the time of the vote

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Hazard leads assists and scored 16 goals. Only Messi leads him in chances created this season. 

So if Pogba is there on 'stats', it makes the whole thing incredibly contradictory. 

I guess it's who he's competing against, Hazard would be seen as a forward now by most, who would he get in over that front 3? I think he's a better player than all 3 and then there's an argument for Mane but I think over the season you can argue the decision logically. If Eriksen is Pogba's competition then you can see why he'd win it, they've had similar seasons in terms of being in and out of form but Pogba's burst of form was more impressive than Eriksen's. Eriksen has been noticeably off form for a while now, though starting to come back, and was widely criticised by Spurs fans during their horrific slump. It's not some gulf between him and Pogba.

• Administrator

All the more reason to have these kinds of awards done at the end of the season, so that not just a short period of time where a player can pick up form are in voters' (is it players?) minds. 

Whole season's form (even if Eriksen did go off the boil for about a month; compared to Pogba's majority of the season of underwhelming form):

Goals:
Pogba - 13 (7 being penalties; goals are goals though). 
Eriksen - 7

Assists:
Pogba - 9 
Eriksen - 12

They're the main stats for me to be fair. 

Why would a 'burst' of form (for nearly 2 months) be worth more than a whole season of decent form (I don't think Eriksen's been that bad this season but for some matches which coincided with the team being poor; he's certainly the most creative of Spurs' midfielders). 

Common consensus that Pogba has been fairly poor and should be doing so much better. I just don't think he's deserving of being in team of the year. Even if Eriksen wasn't to be there, why not someone like Henderson or Moutinho who have arguably been more consistent and influential for their teams?

Was more than a month, have a word with Spurs fans about his form from January going forward. Eriksen also plays as an attacking midfielder, not a box to box like Pogba does. He's generally been the architect of all that's been good at Manchester United this year, even on Sunday when he was largely absent he played the ball of the match to put Rashford through early on. I'm not denying his stuttering form and frustrating periods but not having Eriksen over him, especially when they play different positions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I'd probably have Alisson over Ederson but can't really complain at this from Shearer:

Did anyone see Garth Crooks' team?! He chose Rudiger as one of his centre-backs xD xD 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I'd probably have Alisson over Ederson but can't really complain at this from Shearer:

Did anyone see Garth Crooks' team?! He chose Rudiger as one of his centre-backs xD xD 

Not sure how Salah doesn't get in ahead of two players who scored less than him and a teammate who finished level.

I'd have an actual midfielder instead of Hazard as well. Probably Fernandinho

18 hours ago, Stan said:

To be fair to Garth Crooks, he's a pioneer when it comes to his team of the week.

I bet no one was smart enough to play a 3-1-1-5 formation before, but yes, this man has.

Genius.

Yeah, his team might not see any of the ball, or get overrun in midfield but that doesn't matter when you have 5 forwards up front. Does it?

Archived