Ghosts

football forum

Do ghosts exist?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do ghosts exist?

• Yes
    • No

On 21/04/2017 at 19:41, nudge said:

I'm not a believer in supernatural myself, but there is one weird ghost-story told by my grandma who normally is a pretty logical woman herself and isn't known to make shit up haha.

She was living in a remote farmstead some 70 years ago and working as a young teacher in a nearby village about 6 kilometers away. It was All Saints' Eve, so a cold, dark and windy November night, and she was walking back home from her shift at school as usual. Now, I know this village pretty well as I used to spend my summers there as a child, and I walked this road myself a million times (as that's where the closest fucking grocery shop was); it's just a straight gravel road, some trees, and a few lonely secluded farmsteads along the way. It's also an extremely boring village where everyone knows everyone and where nothing ever happens - except this one time when a farmer in one of those farmsteads murdered his own brother and then topped himself too just a few weeks before this story happened. So as she is just passing by this exact farmstead, she suddenly hears steps behind her out of nowhere - and that's definitely creepy as fuck, because normally, you don't meet anyone on that road even 70 years later haha - so she scarily turns around, sees a tall, dark figure, tries to walk faster, but the steps behind her get faster and louder too, at this point she's obviously scared to death already. As the dark figure approaches, she manages to mumble some sort of "good evening" under her breath, the figure passes her by without answering or even looking at her, my grandma tries to take a quick look at his face - yep, looks exactly like the guy who killed his brother and himself just a while ago - and then the dark figure turns right off the road where the farmstead ends and completely disappears in the dark fields. She said she ran all the way home without looking back, and then avoided that place for the rest of her life.

Loved being told this story before bed as a child, but my grandma was visibly shaken each time she told it, even 50 years after, so while I don't know what the fuck happened that night, she was definitely not making it up. 

Was your Nan into LSD?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. It's absurd. There is a reasonable explanation for everything. 

It's either people not knowing what they saw, seeing what they want to see,  or people seeking attention and have the nerve to make money off of it. AKA a douche. 

South Park did it best. 

As someone who works places where lots of people have died I only have 1 personal ghost story. Everyone has a story, some are more... intense than others. Mine is still very up for conjecture. 

So I had been working on a specific wing for oldies with dementia for 3 months or so, and one day the lady in the room at the far end of the corridor, a german chick called Ottie, died. She used to wear only red dresses and she had frizzy white hair. A few weeks later a lady called Janice replaced her. Janice had other mental health issues, and immediately took a severe disliking to the room. "it was full" she would say, and she would talk about how "the lady in red" lived there. Janice had never been at that facility when Ottie was alive, and wouldn't know her. Janice would shower in that rooms bath room, and the door to the room would often open by itself. It couldn't have been blown open by wind or loose hinges or anything, as the handle worked fine, and a couple of times I rushed out to see if a staff member or resident had opened it, but no one was ever there.

Now in aged care you occasionally got new staff, or students studying to become nurses getting some hands on. One day at lunch a student I was paired with asks "what about the other lady, is she eating in her room?" I asked who the other lady was and she said "The lady with white hair, and shes wearing a red dress, shes in the end room" I went to the photo album pulled out Otties picture and asked if it was her. "Yeah, down in room 44" I explained that room 44 was Janices room and that Ottie had been dead for 2 months. It was this girls first day at the facility and she went white as a sheet. I never saw her again after, she never wanted to work on that floor again.

So a few months later and I'm back to working casual, rather than working the same floor over and over again. I was doing lots of night shits and eventually worked that floor. At about 1 am Janice got up out of her bed (which was in the lounge room where I was watching TV) and strolled down the corridor. A few minutes later she came back and said "The lady in red is here" and went back to bed. I fucking left those fucking residents to die and went on my half hour break faster than you could fucking blink I'll say that much. This happened about once every 3 or 4 times I'd work that floor. Fucked up shit. 

Other people have claimed to have had hands on their shoulders, breath on their neck, seen figures moving around at night or faces in mirrors. 2 girls I knew swore blind that an empty bed rolled across the bedroom floor the night after it's owner had died. But I've seen none of that.

• Subscriber
22 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

The other experience was around 1989/90 when I was working in an old factory that made truck tyre retreads and I was on a back shift, winter time around 19.30 at night on a tyre machine, just in front of me was a broken glass window that looked into the other part of the factory which no one was working in that night, I looked up and seen a figure of an old man walking past then disappeared out of view.

I never thought much of it for a few seconds then thought "Who was that?" as I was the only person working at that end of the factory that night so I put my tyre tool down and made my way into the other part of the factory and looked around and no one was there, I checked with the foreman who was working that night and he assured me that I was the only one working in that section that night.

Over the years this ghost, if you could call it such, would annoy me like moving my work tools and truck tyres,  switching lights on and off until I got used to its games and I would end up saying "Fuck off, I am busy trying to make a bonus!!" , it whatever never did me any harm though and what I have typed here is the truth, whether you believe in ghosts or not go by the saying 'Seeing is Believing". 

In ref to the above in the old factory, I worked in, the foreman of that factory named Steve would go in early morning around 04.00 at start the boilers up getting the factory ready for the day shift ahead.

One morning he went is with his dog, started the boilers up and sat in a chair in his office waiting for the boilers to 'kick in', he said he put his feet up on another chair to doze off for a while and he said the chair he had his feet on started to move, he thought he must have been pushing it with his feet so he took his feet off the chair but it still kept moving back and forward, his dog sitting beside him in the chair started growling with his fir on his back up and looking at something beside the chair, Steve got the shits up then and just left his office and went around the factory and turned all the lights on.  

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

As someone who works places where lots of people have died I only have 1 personal ghost story. Everyone has a story, some are more... intense than others. Mine is still very up for conjecture. 

So I had been working on a specific wing for oldies with dementia for 3 months or so, and one day the lady in the room at the far end of the corridor, a german chick called Ottie, died. She used to wear only red dresses and she had frizzy white hair. A few weeks later a lady called Janice replaced her. Janice had other mental health issues, and immediately took a severe disliking to the room. "it was full" she would say, and she would talk about how "the lady in red" lived there. Janice had never been at that facility when Ottie was alive, and wouldn't know her. Janice would shower in that rooms bath room, and the door to the room would often open by itself. It couldn't have been blown open by wind or loose hinges or anything, as the handle worked fine, and a couple of times I rushed out to see if a staff member or resident had opened it, but no one was ever there.

Now in aged care you occasionally got new staff, or students studying to become nurses getting some hands on. One day at lunch a student I was paired with asks "what about the other lady, is she eating in her room?" I asked who the other lady was and she said "The lady with white hair, and shes wearing a red dress, shes in the end room" I went to the photo album pulled out Otties picture and asked if it was her. "Yeah, down in room 44" I explained that room 44 was Janices room and that Ottie had been dead for 2 months. It was this girls first day at the facility and she went white as a sheet. I never saw her again after, she never wanted to work on that floor again.

So a few months later and I'm back to working casual, rather than working the same floor over and over again. I was doing lots of night shits and eventually worked that floor. At about 1 am Janice got up out of her bed (which was in the lounge room where I was watching TV) and strolled down the corridor. A few minutes later she came back and said "The lady in red is here" and went back to bed. I fucking left those fucking residents to die and went on my half hour break faster than you could fucking blink I'll say that much. This happened about once every 3 or 4 times I'd work that floor. Fucked up shit. 

Other people have claimed to have had hands on their shoulders, breath on their neck, seen figures moving around at night or faces in mirrors. 2 girls I knew swore blind that an empty bed rolled across the bedroom floor the night after it's owner had died. But I've seen none of that.

that's all well and good and scary and shit, but did you eat Ottie's ashes or not?

• Subscriber

NIDDRY STREET VAULTS

Niddry-Street-Vaults-1.jpg

Of all the Edinburgh ghosts, The Niddry Street Vaults is by far the most popular, and the amount of paranormal activity reported herein almost unheard of.

The vaults were first opened during the 18th Century when Edinburgh was in a period of unprecedented growth. The vaults were initially intended to house taverns and cobblers and other above-board but ironically underground businesses. However, things began to go awry around 1795 when flooding led to a mass exodus and the Niddry Street Vaults fell into a state of abandonment. Eventually, the vaults became home to some less-than-legal practices, including a number of brothels. Many of the city’s poor were forced to take up residence in the vaults and it has been reported that notorious serial killers Burke and Hare would visit one part of the vaults to find their victims and use another part of the vaults to store their bodies. Though this claim is unsubstantiated, the level of paranormal activity which occurs here on a daily basis would suggest that there has indeed been some evil dealings beneath Edinburgh over the past couple of centuries.

Much poltergeist activity has been reported in the vaults, particularly in one room which is today in a state of perpetual darkness as any lightbulb installed in the past would instantly explode. An investigation of the wiring turned up no logical explanation for the repeated rejection of light, and the general consensus among the paranormal community is that it was caused by the same spirit which has been known to push and pull anybody who dares to venture into its part of the vault.

https://www.hauntedrooms.co.uk/most-haunted-places-in-edinburgh

Strange this has popped up now... 

In the early hours of Monday morning something woke me from my sleep, not unusual I might add, It happens to me a lot these days, but once awake I find it hard to settle back down so as normal I headed off downstairs to make myself a drink, As I was passing my daughters room I glanced in to see her sound asleep with Leelah also sound asleep next to her... Anyway I headed off down the stairs and had taken about 4 steps when I heard "hello" in a girls voice clear as day.. I stopped straight away and just listened... the whole house was dead silent... I waited a bit thinking I would hear something else but nothing, I went back up and looked into my daughters room again thinking it might have been her or Leelah awake maybe but they were well asleep.. 

Freaked her out a bit when I told her about it in the morning... very odd I have to say.. 

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Strange this has popped up now... 

In the early hours of Monday morning something woke me from my sleep, not unusual I might add, It happens to me a lot these days, but once awake I find it hard to settle back down so as normal I headed off downstairs to make myself a drink, As I was passing my daughters room I glanced in to see her sound asleep with Leelah also sound asleep next to her... Anyway I headed off down the stairs and had taken about 4 steps when I heard "hello" in a girls voice clear as day.. I stopped straight away and just listened... the whole house was dead silent... I waited a bit thinking I would hear something else but nothing, I went back up and looked into my daughters room again thinking it might have been her or Leelah awake maybe but they were well asleep.. 

Freaked her out a bit when I told her about it in the morning... very odd I have to say.. 

Bet you’re up pissing every hour these days?

My mum worked at a government site back in the early 90’s and this one story always stuck with me because her face was serious whenever she told it.

There was a series of offices with a long hallway each side called corridor B. It had swing fire doors approx every 20ft along the length of the whole corridor, maybe 5 or 6 in total. These doors were locked every night at 9pm by security.

Anyway, one random evening the security guard on site (1 of 8) goes about the task of locking each double door an B Block. He gets to the last door and is heading for the exit when hears a click. He checks the door and it’s unlocked. He locks it again, walks away. Click. Goes back, unlocked. Then click, click, click, click, click. 

He gets straight on his walky talky and shouts for assistance. He’s met by 2 guards within 5 minutes. They all walk back up the corridor and every door is unlocked. Apparently he quit on the spot it fucked his mind up that much. To this day she tells that story and it hasn’t changed in 30 years. 

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Anyway I headed off down the stairs and had taken about 4 steps when I heard "hello" in a girls voice clear as day.

We lived in a house in Australia when I was a young lad that was spooky as hell and we only lived in it for about a month and our parents moved out with us (6 children) and gave us no reason why we had a black cat then called Xmas and for some reason he would never enter inside the house and would stay outdoors and we fed him outdoors, we tried bringing him a couple of times but he nearly scratched the hell out of us, his back went up and he hissed and screeched and would run back outside.  

One night I was lying in bed half-asleep when I heard an almighty 'thump' which woke me up, I then heard my mum & dad talking in their bedroom and I presumed at the time my old man had fallen out of his bed and I went back to sleep, only when we moved into a new house our mother told us the truth why we made a sudden move and Xmas the cat settled into our new house ok. 

We moved because as our mother said she was lying in bed with our dad one night and there was a fireplace in a 3 corner angle against the wall and it kept moving back and forward from the corner angle to the middle of the room and she woke my old man and told him but he said you must be imagining it and went back to sleep, this kept happening for a few more nights until our dad got sick of mum keep telling him of the moving fireplace and one night he woke up when he heard the almighty crash that he decided to change rooms.

The next day they moved into a back room and made that their bedroom and the room with the moving fireplace into the lounge, one night they were lying in bed and my mother was lying next to an open bedroom window as it was a hot Australian night, must have been around 35c, my mother nudged my dad and said I am freezing and she was shuddering, my dad called  her a silly old cow as it was Australian summer time and he was hot, so he told her to change sides to stop her moaning.

After about 5 minutes my mother settled in lovely and warm until my old man said to her "Nell...I am bloody freezing now" and he was shivering, they both stayed awake that night and the next day they went around in search of another house to rent. 

On 31/10/2018 at 17:53, nudge said:

Yeah. I posted that over 1.5 year ago and you replied to it back then; how come a reply now again? xD Weiiiiird. Especially considering the grandma in the story actually passed away last week.

Sorry to hear that, Inga.

My condolences. 

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

This is a very important thread, from the age of 7 I have been hooked on horror chiller movies. Reading the thread, there are many variables. Personal experiences and the unseen from peoples religious prospective's. Has anyone witnessed anything creepy themselves? Some people claim to have been to areas which are haunted, or haunted places houses and castles etc. 

Dartmoor and Cornwall is suppose to be creepy, aside from ghosts and demons etc, people seem to see strange various animal sightings in these regions, also has anyone ever done a Ouija? Some people do it next to graves, but people say they are staged.

Have provided a link below, type your region in and it brings up places in your which which are suppose to be haunted, if you browse, do it at night, with the lights off, curtains and doors closed. Maybe you recognize you places?

https://www.hauntedrooms.co.uk/haunted-places

4 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Whilst I'm not discounting the existence of ghosts why do they always seem to appear in scary places such as graveyards and dungeons? Why are there no phantoms stalking the cheese aisle at Morrisons or a headless horseman wreaking havoc at PC World? 

Many animals like to live away from humans, like crows despite being a very common bird ever seen a crow's nest where you live?

Even we humans like to live away from our own species. 

Black neighborhoods or Turkish neighborhoods in Germany or Paki neighborhoods in England.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Well Leelah has been freaking everyone out by saying there is a lady in red wandering around the house that no-one else can see.... my 2 girls are getting proper spooked by it and then reminded me that about a month or so ago I was coming down the stairs to make a drink at about 3 or 4am and clearly heard the words "hello"  just as I was starting to walk down the stairs... I stopped at the time wondering who that was that was still awake and backtracked and checked the rooms but everyone was sound asleep... It was a girls/womans voice for sure but I shrugged it off thinking it was very late/early and probably just my imagination.. taking recent accounts into consideration now though I am beginning to wonder..  spooky stuff

For further discussion 

• Subscriber

Might as well post this in here as it is spooky.

Ghost ship's spooky SOS call before crew found dead with faces 'frozen in fear'

Charlotte Neal

BBTFF9F.img?h=532&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited The SS Ourang Medan was found with the entire crew dead and their faces frozen in fear in one of the world's greatest maritime mysteries

A spooky SOS call from on board a ship where the entire crew was found dead and 'frozen in fear' has been revealed in a chilling secret memo as the maritime mystery continues to baffle the world.

The entire crew of the SS Ourang Medan and its captain were found strewn around the ship with expressions of "convulsive horror" but no obvious injuries that could have killed them.

Before investigations could determine what happened, a fire broke out and the vessel sunk without trace, reports the Sun.

A secret CIA memo detailed the eerie "frenzied" SOS call from on board.

"All officers, including captain dead, lying in chartroom and on bridge... probably whole crew dead," the call said.

Written by C.H Marck Jr, assistant to the Director of the CIA Allen Dulles, in 1959, to an unknown recipient, the memo continues: "There followed a series of indecipherable dots and dashes and then came quite clearly: "I die"."

BBTFEc7.img?h=532&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited A spooky SOS call was picked up by another ship, but when rescuers boarded they were greeted with an eerie sight

The document reveals that the agency believed the doomed boat could hold the key to a series of other disappearances in one of the world's busiest shipping lanes.

It was penned years after the dutch vessel is said to have sent a distress call in 1948 while sailing the Strait of Malacca - where Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 vanished in 2014.

The distressing Morse code SOS call, made by a signaller on board SS Ourang Medan, was heard by the crew of nearby ship the Silver Star.

Rescue ships rushed to find the stricken vessel, finding her just 50 miles from the position given.

But investigators "found an eerie sight" when they boarded, the memo continues.

BBTFpk4.img?h=532&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited A memo by C.H Marck Jr, assistant to the Director of the CIA Allen Dulles, in 1959

"There wasn't a living creature on the ship," it said.

"The captain lay dead on the bridge. The bodies of the other officers sprawled in the wheelhouse, chartroom and wardroom.

"The faithful 'sparks' was slumped in a chair in the radio shack, his hand still on the sending key.

"The bodies of the crew lay everywhere, in the rooms, in the passageways, on the decks.

"And on all the dead faces was a look of convulsive horror."

Referencing a report by Merchant Marine Council, C.H Marck Jr added that their frozen faces were upturned to the sun with mouths open and staring eyes.

The ship's dog, a small terrier, was also dead with its teeth bared 'in anger or agony'.

BBTFpk6.img?h=532&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited Mystery surrounds what happened on board the ship, and how it came to 'explode' then sink

The boarding parties decided to tow the vessel to port to continue investigations, but, according to the memo, "at that very moment smoke and flames belched forth" from the hold.

They abandoned the ship and there was an explosion, before it sunk without trace with all the dead crew, never to be seen again.

Strangely, the coast guard didn't report it until 1954 - six years after it sank.

Some question if it ever existed, with no mention in the Lloyds List of shipping and no record of the Silver Star attempting a rescue.

Conspiracy theorists question if several countries worked together to cover the mysterious incident up, while others believe a noxious gas bubbled from the seabed.

The secret CIA document, released to the public in 2013, questioned whether an unknown entity was to blame.

"I feel sure that the SS Ourang Medan holds the answer to many of these aeroplaneaccidents and unsolved mysteries of the sea," the author wrote, pondering the mysteries of the stretch of sea home to many shipwrecks.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/ghost-ships-spooky-sos-call-14007356

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

There is a game out/coming out about that ship. I read about it and the story is really, really chilling.

Just read some more on that SS Ourang Medan, some theories, I would imagine Theories 1&2 below would be most logical...I think? :o

Theories

Unsecured hazardous materials cargo

Bainton and others hypothesize that Ourang Medan might have been involved in smuggling operations of chemical substances such as a combination of potassium cyanide and nitroglycerin or even wartime stocks of nerve agents. According to these theories, seawater would have entered the ship's hold, reacting with the cargo to release toxic gases, which then caused the crew to succumb to asphyxia and/or poisoning. Later, the sea water would have reacted with the nitroglycerin, causing the reported fire and explosion.

Another theory is that the ship was transporting nerve gas which the Japanese military had been storing in China during the war, and which was handed over to the U.S. military at the end of the war. No U.S. ship could transport it as it would leave a paper trail. It was therefore loaded onto a non-registered ship for transport to the U.S. or an island in the Pacific.

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning

Gaddis puts forward the theory that an undetected smouldering fire or malfunction in the ship's boiler system might have been responsible for the shipwreck. Escaping carbon monoxide would have caused the deaths of all aboard, with the fire slowly getting out of control, leading to the vessel's ultimate destruction.

Paranormal phenomena

The story has appeared in various magazines and books on Forteana, beginning with a 1953 article in Fate Magazine. Authors such as Jessup speculate that the crew might have been attacked by UFOs or paranormal forces prior to their deaths. Circumstantial evidence cited by these sources includes the apparent absence of a natural cause of death, the reportedly terrified expressions on the faces of the deceased, and rumors that some of the dead were "pointing" towards an unknown enemy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ourang_Medan

Archived