Ghosts

football forum

Do ghosts exist?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do ghosts exist?

• Yes
    • No

football forum

Do they exist? Do you have any interesting stories about the supernatural or are they just a myth that shouldn't be given the light of day?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I don't believe they exist.

I love reading about supernatural stories or historical experiences which people have xD. Sometimes ludicrous, sometimes somewhat believable but until I actually experience it myself, I don't believe that they exist. They're a product of the mind; it's all in the head and I don't know physically how they can actually 'exist'. 

• Subscriber

I'm not a believer in supernatural myself, but there is one weird ghost-story told by my grandma who normally is a pretty logical woman herself and isn't known to make shit up haha.

She was living in a remote farmstead some 70 years ago and working as a young teacher in a nearby village about 6 kilometers away. It was All Saints' Eve, so a cold, dark and windy November night, and she was walking back home from her shift at school as usual. Now, I know this village pretty well as I used to spend my summers there as a child, and I walked this road myself a million times (as that's where the closest fucking grocery shop was); it's just a straight gravel road, some trees, and a few lonely secluded farmsteads along the way. It's also an extremely boring village where everyone knows everyone and where nothing ever happens - except this one time when a farmer in one of those farmsteads murdered his own brother and then topped himself too just a few weeks before this story happened. So as she is just passing by this exact farmstead, she suddenly hears steps behind her out of nowhere - and that's definitely creepy as fuck, because normally, you don't meet anyone on that road even 70 years later haha - so she scarily turns around, sees a tall, dark figure, tries to walk faster, but the steps behind her get faster and louder too, at this point she's obviously scared to death already. As the dark figure approaches, she manages to mumble some sort of "good evening" under her breath, the figure passes her by without answering or even looking at her, my grandma tries to take a quick look at his face - yep, looks exactly like the guy who killed his brother and himself just a while ago - and then the dark figure turns right off the road where the farmstead ends and completely disappears in the dark fields. She said she ran all the way home without looking back, and then avoided that place for the rest of her life.

Loved being told this story before bed as a child, but my grandma was visibly shaken each time she told it, even 50 years after, so while I don't know what the fuck happened that night, she was definitely not making it up. 

I place ghost stories alongside watching a really good magic trick or the old Jonathan Creek episodes (back when Caroline Quentin was the sidekick).

You kind of want to believe in what you saw because it was so fantastic, but then when what you’ve seen is explained to you in a logical manner, it loses all credibility and sense of wonder.  

I was skeptical until I went to see a medium in a room of about ten of us last year. She had no idea who I was, who I knew there, or that I was coming as I went as a last minute tag along. There was no way she could have nailed a dead relative of mine who I never considered as a possible person to appear and incidents in my life like she did unless she genuinely can interact with another world.

I know a couple of people who claim to have seen ghosts and it's very out of character for them to lie about anything or try to be the centre of attention with a story. One of which we caught on cctv running out the building after seeing something. Scary to work at the building when locking up after that but still funny seeing him out of character legging it.

Im a believer but I'd rather not have my suspicions confirmed.

5 hours ago, nudge said:

She was living in a remote farmstead some 70 years ago and working as a young teacher in a nearby village about 6 kilometers away. It was All Saints' Eve, so a cold, dark and windy November night, and she was walking back home from her shift at school as usual. Now, I know this village pretty well as I used to spend my summers there as a child, and I walked this road myself a million times (as that's where the closest fucking grocery shop was); it's just a straight gravel road, some trees, and a few lonely secluded farmsteads along the way. It's also an extremely boring village where everyone knows everyone and where nothing ever happens - except this one time when a farmer in one of those farmsteads murdered his own brother and then topped himself too just a few weeks before this story happened. So as she is just passing by this exact farmstead, she suddenly hears steps behind her out of nowhere - and that's definitely creepy as fuck, because normally, you don't meet anyone on that road even 70 years later haha - so she scarily turns around, sees a tall, dark figure, tries to walk faster, but the steps behind her get faster and louder too, at this point she's obviously scared to death already. As the dark figure approaches, she manages to mumble some sort of "good evening" under her breath, the figure passes her by without answering or even looking at her, my grandma tries to take a quick look at his face - yep, looks exactly like the guy who killed his brother and himself just a while ago - and then the dark figure turns right off the road where the farmstead ends and completely disappears in the dark fields. She said she ran all the way home without looking back, and then avoided that place for the rest of her life.

Well, it was dark and all, so it was probably just some guy who was trying to rob/rape her. Maybe she was thinking about that murder story so much at the time that her mind played a trick on her when she saw the dark figure passing her, or it was just some guy who looked similar. 

I don't believe in ghosts no. Our subconscious is just very tricky. Like when a pet dies, and you keep hearing it's foot (paw?) steps on your wooden floor, or you keep hearing voices of people that you were once close to when you're dozing off. 

• Subscriber

Won't ever personally believe in one until I've seen one. Some people are convinced they have seen them but I have to see it for myself to believe it.

Saying that I have never in my life lost anyone I was really close to, which at my age is quite odd.

Yeah I think it's just overactive imaginations. People's imaginations are very good at filling the gaps in what they see, or drawing connections that aren't there. For example I'm always seeing faces or outlines of figures in shadows, which is why I prefer to keep my curtains closed to minimise the chance of me thinking I've seen something at night. 

It's like when people witness a crime and they're absolutely convinced they can remember certain details about the suspect, which turn out to be either slightly off or entirely imagined. But after the shock and surprise their mind has bee able to convince them that their eyes physically saw certain things. 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Tsubasa said:

Well, it was dark and all, so it was probably just some guy who was trying to rob/rape her. Maybe she was thinking about that murder story so much at the time that her mind played a trick on her when she saw the dark figure passing her, or it was just some guy who looked similar. 

Haha, I'm absolutely sure her mind played a trick on her regarding the face of that man, it's just that the circumstances of the encounter were just completely weird. Firstly, the figure appearing and then disappearing completely out of nowhere, as it's just a long straight road with no bushes on the side of the road, no side paths, no houses anywhere near, and also no crops in the fields as it's November. Also, strangers do not ever arrive there; not now, and certainly not 70 years ago, that is like the most remote village in the fucking universe haha; and if they do, everyone knows it. I think the most likely explanation is that it was one of the partisan fighters who were very active in the area at that time (my grandpa was one too, hehe); it was just a few years after the war and there were a lot of guerrilla activities going on, that would explain an unknown mysterious person walking around secretly in the dark.  Tell that to my grandma though xD 

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber

Yes, I have had experiences and have seen 2 ghosts in my time, living in this flat about 7 years ago I went to bed early as I was up for work the next morning around 04.30 and left the wife sitting in the lounge, I fell asleep then suddenly woke up and saw a white figure of a women standing at the end of my bed, after about 20 seconds it faded so I jumped out of bed and made my way into the lounge.

I opened the lounge door and stuck my head in and the wife was sitting there watching tv which I could not see and I said (and I didn't know what made me say it) "You are watching 'Most Haunted' aren't you?" Liz replied yes and then I told her what I had seen and then went back to bed, I have never seen or heard the wife move so fast in 3 minutes she had turned the tv and lounge light off and jumped in bed, she will never watch 'Most Haunted' or spooky programmes to this day unless I am sitting beside her.

The other experience was around 1989/90 when I was working in an old factory that made truck tyre retreads and I was on a back shift, winter time around 19.30 at night on a tyre machine, just in front of me was a broken glass window that looked into the other part of the factory which no one was working in that night, I looked up and seen a figure of an old man walking past then disappeared out of view.

I never thought much of it for a few seconds then thought "Who was that?" as I was the only person working at that end of the factory that night so I put my tyre tool down and made my way into the other part of the factory and looked around and no one was there, I checked with the foreman who was working that night and he assured me that I was the only one working in that section that night.

Over the years this ghost, if you could call it such, would annoy me like moving my work tools and truck tyres,  switching lights on and off until I got used to its games and I would end up saying "Fuck off, I am busy trying to make a bonus!!" , it whatever never did me any harm though and what I have typed here is the truth, whether you believe in ghosts or not go by the saying 'Seeing is Believing". 

On 21/04/2017 at 20:41, nudge said:

I'm not a believer in supernatural myself, but there is one weird ghost-story told by my grandma who normally is a pretty logical woman herself and isn't known to make shit up haha.

Loved being told this story before bed as a child, but my grandma was visibly shaken each time she told it, even 50 years after, so while I don't know what the fuck happened that night, she was definitely not making it up. 

Yea, thanks. Not leaving my house when it's dark outside for a while.. 

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Tommy said:

Yea, thanks. Not leaving my house when it's dark outside for a while.. 

Yeah. I posted that over 1.5 year ago and you replied to it back then; how come a reply now again? xD Weiiiiird. Especially considering the grandma in the story actually passed away last week.

• Subscriber

My mother told us, kids, this ghost story that happened to her during WW11 during a German Blitz when she lived in a house in Essex, I was not born then but there was 9 of us in our family 7 sisters & me and my brother, during that time in WW11 3 of my sisters were young kids then but one night after a Blitz was over my mother made her way to bed with my 3 sisters then, she did not want to turn the lights on and left the curtains closed and was going to use a candle, my father by the way was serving in the navy then and away at war.

My mother said that above the bedroom door was a small glass window partition and she said she always felt if someone was looking at her from the glass partition, on this night she lay in bed with my 3 wee sisters and lit a match to light the candle and then she felt a breath of wind and the match blew out, she tried lighting a match 3 more times and something kept blowing the match out.

She then said "Whatever you are I am more worried about the German bombers than you so piss off and leave us alone", she said she then waited for a few seconds and then tried striking the match to light the candle and she lit the candle ok and she said she felt a lovely warm feeling after that. A few weeks later she moved into another house a few miles away and heard that the house she had been living in was destroyed by a German air-raid and when they started to clear the bomb damage up they found the skeleton of a women in the ground from an old grave that had died years ago.    

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Yeah. I posted that over 1.5 year ago and you replied to it back then; how come a reply now again? xD Weiiiiird. Especially considering the grandma in the story actually passed away last week.

Oh wow, I completely forgot about it. Someone posted here recently, and I thought it was a recent topic and didn't look at the dates xD

On a sidenote: I did leave the house in the dark today, and I survived. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nudge said:

Sorry for your loss Nudge :( 

No. We have never had the technology available to us that we do now, CCTV everywhere, TV programmes of people going to haunted houses every week and still no proof at all that ghosts exit. Because they don't.

There are weird stories that are hard to explain but also there would have been something that's real actually causing these things to happen and whoever it is that thought they saw a ghost has just walked in on an anomaly.

Ghosts are just stories people like to believe in and if someone's not making it up, hasn't confused what they've seen then their minds just playing tricks because they want it to be a ghost.

Archived