• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Joe Biden Running for US Presidency in 2020

football forum

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Does anyone still take such demagoguery, platitudes and empty rhetoric seriously?... I don't know anything about his policy nor do I care but I'm perplexed by the essence of the video: "Nazis bad!" "Orange man bad!" "America great!" + poorly acted scenes and dramatic music in the background. WTF.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Does anyone still take such demagoguery, platitudes and empty rhetoric seriously?... I don't know anything about his policy nor do I care but I'm perplexed by the essence of the video: "Nazis bad!" "Orange man bad!" "America great!" + poorly acted scenes and dramatic music in the background. WTF.

Basically it made him sick to see Trump failing to call out racism after the Charlottesville riots. 

It was a pretty key moment where Trump seemed not to see it as the role of the president to stand up for "American values" in such situations.

I can understand why that would outrage those who take the symbolic nature of the role of the president seriously.

Looks like his message is pick me because I'm a heavyweight and I will beat him.

But he'll need to grapple with being an straight old white centrist man of the establishment in a moment where there is a strong appetite for a progressive and or diverse choice of candidate.

• The title was changed to Joe Biden Running for US Presidency in 2020
  • Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Basically it made him sick to see Trump failing to call out racism after the Charlottesville riots. 

It was a pretty key moment where Trump seemed not to see it as the role of the president to stand up for "American values" in such situations.

I can understand why that would outrage those who take the symbolic nature of the role of the president seriously.

Looks like his message is pick me because I'm a heavyweight and I will beat him.

But he'll need to grapple with being an straight old white centrist man of the establishment in a moment where there is a strong appetite for a progressive and or diverse choice of candidate.

Yeah it's all cool but his campaign announcement video just looks like a propaganda tape with empty platitudes and big words with no substance. I mean is it too much to ask of presidential candidates to actually highlight at least the main points of their policy?... Because to put it mildly, "I'm Joe Biden, I'm against racism, Trump sucks and god bless America" is a comical way to present your candidacy imo. But maybe that's what American voters love, I don't know.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nudge said:

I'd rather read in-depth about any candidate's policies (in UK at least) because you just know the video is gonna be absolutely cheesy and ultimately a cringe-fest of cliches and standard promo stuff. I get that they have to do it in this world of social media and propaganda but it's worthless and pointless to any sane voter. 

The only American candidate I like is Tulsi Gabbard. Her views on pretty much everything are great. She is also willing to accept her mistakes (the anti gay past because of her father) She is an actual progressive (and  not someone who panders to the vocal left) and anti regime change (but believes in defending the country and its military) and therefore would never win. 

She would be good for America and the world. 

Biden is no different to the past American Presidents. He will find an excuse to ruin one or two Middle Eastern countries. Or maybe look at South America. 

12 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

The only American candidate I like is Tulsi Gabbard. Her views on pretty much everything are great. She is also willing to accept her mistakes (the anti gay past because of her father) She is an actual progressive (and  not someone who panders to the vocal left) and anti regime change (but believes in defending the country and its military) and therefore would never win. 

She would be good for America and the world. 

Biden is no different to the past American Presidents. He will find an excuse to ruin one or two Middle Eastern countries. Or maybe look at South America. 

What about her alleged links with the RSS ? 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Yeah it's all cool but his campaign announcement video just looks like a propaganda tape with empty platitudes and big words with no substance. I mean is it too much to ask of presidential candidates to actually highlight at least the main points of their policy?... Because to put it mildly, "I'm Joe Biden, I'm against racism, Trump sucks and god bless America" is a comical way to present your candidacy imo. But maybe that's what American voters love, I don't know.

There will be more detail to come. This will likely just have been the Twitter video announcement.

Most who have announced have spoken at length.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

People vote based on emotions everywhere rather than on some solid policies and with the current right wing jingoistic nationalism on the rise around the world we will see a lot of Trump like campaigns.

For a guy with his record on race issues it's either hilariously naive or brutally cynical for him to centre his campaign on race. 

Centrist Dems are really quite unebelievable. The entire political atmosphere has turned against their kind, and yet they just can't bring themselves to make way for progressive policy-driven candidates like Warren.

Warren “I’m 1/628th Cherokee” 🤣 

its all about race for the dems, they want ethnic block votes  that’s why they don’t have any real radical system policy and campaign on the “equality” ticket them when they control an area it turns to shit. 

13 hours ago, Inverted said:

For a guy with his record on race issues it's either hilariously naive or brutally cynical for him to centre his campaign on race. 

Centrist Dems are really quite unebelievable. The entire political atmosphere has turned against their kind, and yet they just can't bring themselves to make way for progressive policy-driven candidates like Warren.

Moderate Dems have won the popular vote in 6 of the last 7 presidential elections, with the only exception of 2004.

Honestly mate I think some of those candidates would as good as guarantee Trump 4 more years. He'll run on a track record of solid economic performance and the economic anxiety system overhaulers like Warren and Sanders create will drive most purple states to red imo.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Moderate Dems have won the popular vote in 6 of the last 7 presidential elections, with the only exception of 2004.

Honestly mate I think some of those candidates would as good as guarantee Trump 4 more years. He'll run on a track record of solid economic performance and the economic anxiety system overhaulers like Warren and Sanders create will drive most purple states to red imo.

Donald Trump was a national joke 3 years ago and now he's President. Times have changed. 

You can also talk about America's bizarre anti-democratic electoral system, but until the Democrats get power and change that, the popular vote is technically speaking irrelevant. 

Bernie also enthuses a lot of the working class types in your Michigans and Pennsylvanias who probably voted Trump as a protest vote and who now don't really have any huge attachment to a candidate or party, if they would even turn out. Im aware that Biden polls the best, but when dealing with issues that affect fringe voters or normally politically disengaged people, we've seen how badly polling can fail. Biden isn't good on those types of issues, and his image is too tied to the old democratic establishment to get those types of voters out to vote. 

Edit: also to touch generally on the prisoners voting thing.

If America has imprisoned so many people that they're scared they will dramatically affect results if they're allowed to vote, then I think there's a much bigger problem at play. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Machado said:

A good first chuckle of the day.

It's mind boggling how this man fails to see how absurd and rude it is to make such a promise, even if it is a noble aspiration.

"We need some policies to show we're serious about the issues"

"What about getting behind medicare for all?"

"Green New Deal?"

"Break up the tech monopolies?"

"Financial regulation?"

Joe: "WE'RE GONNA CURE CANCER, FOLKS"

1 hour ago, Burning Gold said:

Top notch centrism from Joe. No one's going to disagree with curing cancer

The American Cancer Association might disagree with it. Nobody's going to fund them if cancer's been cured.

Archived