• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

US 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary Race

football forum

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

Beto speaking spanish was funny. lol What a clown. He tries so hard to be latino. xD

His real name isn’t even Beto, he’s pulled a reverse Ted Cruz (who changed his name for the racist vote) - just changed his for the Latino vote. Not a fan of him at all because he’s got no substance to his politics, always struggles to explain policy.

There are too many fucking candidates. They get such little time and some can’t help but want to intervene and answer every question, especially the ones not addressed to them.

When do states start voting to start weeding some of these candidates out?

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

There are too many fucking candidates. They get such little time and some can’t help but want to intervene and answer every question, especially the ones not addressed to them.

When do states start voting to start weeding some of these candidates out?

Too many for sure. Pete is doing well tonight, attacking the Reps on their nonsense, which is really all centered around Trump. I think Biden is likely going to get the go ahead, as Obama was so loved, and his legacy has only grown since we got Trump afterwards. 

The narrative i'm reading here appears to be that Harris laid the smack down on Biden. Haven't caught any footage yet tho. I was wondering who would go after him tonight. 

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

His real name isn’t even Beto, he’s pulled a reverse Ted Cruz (who changed his name for the racist vote) - just changed his for the Latino vote. Not a fan of him at all because he’s got no substance to his politics, always struggles to explain policy.

I've heard him tell the name story repeatedly but never looked from that perspective.... When did he change it to Beto?

@Eco

Gabbard is one of the few politicians in the entire world that I admire. Her foreign policy is actually the best, but that is also why she will never ever win. 

You just have to look at the zeal with which journalists from mainstream media like NYT, CNN, etc attack her. And most of their reasons are just daft. For example : a lot on the right like her because of her anti-regime change stance, but that is used by these people on the other side as "Look right wing like her, danger, danger". Her other policies are fairly progressive. 

@Dr. Gonzo

Yes, it's easier for populists to win, but I believe their task is made easier by candidates on the opposite spectrum who are more interested in insulting the majority. The story is same everywhere. Therefore, all you need is a politician who wouldn't undermine, mock or insult the majority and not get swayed by the Twitter woke crowd and the likes of Trump will lose. Which is why I think Biden is the best bet against Trump. Someone like Warren is bound to lose.

Ps: I was too lazy to multi quote you two. 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

The narrative i'm reading here appears to be that Harris laid the smack down on Biden. Haven't caught any footage yet tho. I was wondering who would go after him tonight. 

I've heard him tell the name story repeatedly but never looked from that perspective.... When did he change it to Beto?

No idea when he changed it

1 hour ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

@Eco

Gabbard is one of the few politicians in the entire world that I admire. Her foreign policy is actually the best, but that is also why she will never ever win. 

You just have to look at the zeal with which journalists from mainstream media like NYT, CNN, etc attack her. And most of their reasons are just daft. For example : a lot on the right like her because of her anti-regime change stance, but that is used by these people on the other side as "Look right wing like her, danger, danger". Her other policies are fairly progressive. 

@Dr. Gonzo

Yes, it's easier for populists to win, but I believe their task is made easier by candidates on the opposite spectrum who are more interested in insulting the majority. The story is same everywhere. Therefore, all you need is a politician who wouldn't undermine, mock or insult the majority and not get swayed by the Twitter woke crowd and the likes of Trump will lose. Which is why I think Biden is the best bet against Trump. Someone like Warren is bound to lose.

Ps: I was too lazy to multi quote you two. 

I think Biden’s another Hillary where the American left are uninspired by the candidate and won’t show up to an election because they won’t just fall in line like GOP voters.

On 28/06/2019 at 17:27, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Biden’s another Hillary where the American left are uninspired by the candidate and won’t show up to an election because they won’t just fall in line like GOP voters.

I on the other hand think that a lot of democrat voters believe that not voting for Hillary got them Trump. And for most them it's anyone but Trump.

They also see Biden as an extension of Obama, whose stock has risen after he left the White House. 

• 1 month later...

The DNC will probably make the same mistake as the previous time and throw its weight behind Biden with the reasoning that he'll be more broadly supported among moderates.

Like with the 2016 elections, I made a bet with my dad that Trump will win.

A lot of these 2nd and 3rd tier candidates need to just drop out of the race but their egos won’t let them.

I can’t take a debate seriously when they’re given 30 seconds to explain a complicated issue.

Also what the fuck is up with CNN? That was appallingly bad, on both days.

Tulsi murdered Harris in the debate. 

Geez you guys have a candidate who is anti regime change, who supports medicare for all and is an actual progressive in Gabbard, and she is unfortunately not even in the reckoning. The viciousness with which journos from established newspapers like NYT, WaPo attack her for being anti regime change. 

6 hours ago, Eco said:

If Biden is the Dems selection to run against Trump, he'll get slaughtered. 

Still think Trump’s already won. Delaney made some good proposals, but Warren + Bernie did their best to enliven the audience with their snide remarks after he went into detail. 

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Still think Trump’s already won. Delaney made some good proposals, but Warren + Bernie did their best to enliven the audience with their snide remarks after he went into detail. 

I hope you're wrong - but afraid I have zero faith in the system at the moment. 

50 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Tulsi murdered Harris in the debate. 

Geez you guys have a candidate who is anti regime change, who supports medicare for all and is an actual progressive in Gabbard, and she is unfortunately not even in the reckoning. The viciousness with which journos from established newspapers like NYT, WaPo attack her for being anti regime change. 

Gabbard's got skeletons of her own. Firstly, far right Steve Bannon's a fan of hers and she's got a pretty poor track record on both Islamophobia and homophobia; she also made a weird unannounced trip to Syria, without telling the U.S. State Department (because the U.S has no relations with Syria, so they'd probably have made sure she didn't go) or without disclosing who funded her trip. And as for not being pro-regime change, she certainly supported the Egyptian military retaking control of the country and Al-Sisi's autocratic government.

She's got good foreign policy views and good healthcare views. But there's candidates with those same views that also have more views in line with a normal democratic candidate. Not some weird hodgepodge of far right and left.

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

I hope you're wrong - but afraid I have zero faith in the system at the moment. 

I don't know how many candidates there were for the GOP exactly, but early on the GOP primary race also looked like an absolute shitshow with it looking likely that Geb Bush would be the GOP candidate. I don't think there were as many candidates as there are now for the democrats though.

But I can see it being the case that the likely candidate at the end won't be one of the big names that's being thrown about now (namely Biden). Having said that, the DNC does tend to be pretty heavily swayed by who the media wants - and you can see that CNN either wants Biden or someone else dead in the centre or another 4 years of Trump (which, I honestly think they do want because Trump has probably been so good for ratings with his chaotic way of running the federal government).

But I also have 0 faith in the system here and I can see America voting for more of this shite.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Gabbard's got skeletons of her own. Firstly, far right Steve Bannon's a fan of hers and she's got a pretty poor track record on both Islamophobia and homophobia; she also made a weird unannounced trip to Syria, without telling the U.S. State Department (because the U.S has no relations with Syria, so they'd probably have made sure she didn't go) or without disclosing who funded her trip. And as for not being pro-regime change, she certainly supported the Egyptian military retaking control of the country and Al-Sisi's autocratic government.

She's got good foreign policy views and good healthcare views. But there's candidates with those same views that also have more views in line with a normal democratic candidate. Not some weird hodgepodge of far right and left.

Don't know about her history with Egypt, but Bannon supporting her is not her fault. A lot on the alt-right are anti regime changes and that probably attracts them to her. The moment they hear her policies on other matter (like medicare for all, regulation, etc) they will abandon or abuse her. 

There's a lot of bullshit spread about her visit to Syria. She went there on a diplomatic/fact finding mission. Found out the reality which independent journalists like Eva Bartlett have been telling for years - which is rebels armed by US are actually worse than Assad. The proof behind chemical attack is suspect. Groups like White Helmet are suspect. Unsurprisingly Bartlett is also called Assad's stooge. 

Assad is a monster, but the alternative is worse. Gabbard has acknowledged his poor human rights record, but has constantly stated that the way to deal with such regimes is to talk and negotiate, something which even Obama advocated for the likes of NK, Iran, etc when he first ran for the Presidential election. 

She has the balls to call out Saudis, as well. A lot of misinformation is spread about her. 

1 minute ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Don't know about her history with Egypt, but Bannon supporting her is not her fault. A lot on the alt-right are anti regime changes and that probably attracts them to her. The moment they hear her policies on other matter (like medicare for all, regulation, etc) they will abandon or abuse her. 

There's a lot of bullshit spread about her visit to Syria. She went there on a diplomatic/fact finding mission. Found out the reality which independent journalists like Eva Bartlett have been telling for years - which is rebels armed by US are actually worse than Assad. The proof behind chemical attack is suspect. Groups like White Helmet are suspect. Unsurprisingly Bartlett is also called Assad's stooge. 

Assad is a monster, but the alternative is worse. Gabbard has acknowledged his poor human rights record, but has constantly stated that the way to deal with such regimes is to talk and negotiate, something which even Obama advocated for the likes of NK, Iran, etc when he first ran for the Presidential election. 

She has the balls to call out Saudis, as well. A lot of misinformation is spread about her. 

I just don't think I can ever trust a candidate on the left that's the preferred left wing candidate of libertarians and the alt-right.

Harris' campaign is going about as well as I would expect a campaign headed by this moronic chode to be. 

At least she's secured the loyalty of students, with her promise to forgive some debt for graduates who run a start-up in deprived areas for at least 3 years, and who are Sagittariuses who have completed Temple Run without dying. 

Harris has no business running for President. She’s only been a senator for half a minute and her track record as a prosecutor in California makes all of her progressive policies probable bullshit because actions speak louder than campaign promises.

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Harris has no business running for President. She’s only been a senator for half a minute and her track record as a prosecutor in California makes all of her progressive policies probable bullshit because actions speak louder than campaign promises.

Almost all progressive policy commitments are bullshit as things stand with an almost certainly hostile Republican senate and strong conservative majority on the supreme Court post 2020. It will be even harder to implement significant policy wins than it was under Obama.

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Almost all progressive policy commitments are bullshit as things stand with an almost certainly hostile Republican senate and strong conservative majority on the supreme Court post 2020. It will be even harder to implement significant policy wins than it was under Obama.

I imagine if a progressive wins the presidency the senate will likely be more blue than red.

Having said that, I do think a progressive has no shot. And if they do have a shot, it likely doesn’t matter because we’ll probably see more of what we saw in 2016 as Congress refuses to increase election security

Archived