talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

US 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary Race

football forum

6 hours ago, Panflute said:

This is in addition to Biden having multiple relatives involved in shady shit, which means using the 'Trump is a nepotist' angle can heavily backfire for the Democrats if Biden is their candidate. With Sanders, Trump would be more forced to attack his ideas, which is generally not his strong suit.

His son was put on the board of a Ukranian company after an anti corruption shakeup.

It's a use of the name to get a cushy job. It shouldn't have happened but if he trusts his son I get why he'd do it. For sure he'll be hit with this and by the time of a convention the enquiry that the GOP have kicked off will have momentum.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I'm pretty ignorant about American politics but like many, I'd love to see the end of Trump's presidency.

From here, Sanders just looks like American Corbyn to me. An old politician with fairly extreme progressive policies that a country that voted for Donald Trump half a decade ago probably aren't ready to embrace. Tell me I'm wrong?

For both the American and British left, the path to success seems to be to come to the centre to achieve power, and then move further to the left when people realise it actually is okay to have a country that meets people's basic needs at the expense of minimal tax increases for billionaires and that it won't cause the economy to spontaneously combust.

11 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm pretty ignorant about American politics but like many, I'd love to see the end of Trump's presidency.

From here, Sanders just looks like American Corbyn to me. An old politician with fairly extreme progressive policies that a country that voted for Donald Trump half a decade ago probably aren't ready to embrace. Tell me I'm wrong?

For both the American and British left, the path to success seems to be to come to the centre to achieve power, and then move further to the left when people realise it actually is okay to have a country that meets people's basic needs at the expense of minimal tax increases for billionaires and that it won't cause the economy to spontaneously combust.

There's similarities and differences. I think one of my biggest criticisms about Corbyn was he was just simply awful at handling the media. Sanders, on the other hand, is pretty effective at getting his points across clearly when you put him in front of a TV camera. He actually did a town hall on Fox News, with what was meant to be a hostile crowd against his policies, and Fox News had a weird time with it because he actually seemed to really connect with the crowd at the town hall & even with the Fox News "moderator" basically linking him with the crowd.

But I think the biggest similarity is the media absolutely fucking hates him, like they did with Corbyn. Which is why you see the "left" press gravitating towards Biden/Bloomberg (although Bloomberg's taken an absolute beating in terms of popularity, although it looks like what he's turned to now is paying California's progressive mayors - who apparently lack all integrity - to endorse him).

I think this election and also 2016 demonstrate how much power the US media really has. In 2016, Trump's candidacy shouldn't have been given anywhere near as much coverage as it initially received - it wasn't his first time announcing he was running for president and it should have been taken as seriously as it was taken those first few times. Instead, they'd do things like show an empty stage awaiting Trump's arrival with a countdown rather than show town halls with the candidates that were occurring at the same time. You can also just compare Bernie's coverage vs. Hillary's in 2016... and then look at what the media's doing now that Bernie's looking the front runner and how they're desperate for Biden/Bloomberg to do well. Running the American media means you can pick and choose which candidates should be taken seriously and which ones shouldn't - and when someone looks to be breaking away from the script, you just absolutely tarnish their image in the media.

I've never hated a candidate in an election I can't vote in more than I hate Michael Bloomberg though. He seems like a man who's jealous of Trump and who wants to be able to be as blatantly corrupt as Trump is, while being a bit smarter about it so he doesn't get caught up in a scandal every 5 seconds. Aside from that, he's just absolutely flooded California's TV ads with his bullshit. I can't imagine how much he's spent to try to buy his way into this election, but it has to be something insane. I fear if the world gets Bloomberg after Trump, the U.S. Presidency will just be another commodity for billionaires to buy for their egos - like football clubs.

I think there's got to be something done about money in American politics. Bloomberg is only where he is in this race because he's very rich - not because he has any organic political support. He's also got his own media empire, which probably is not a good thing for expecting fair coverage (or a free press relating to this election) from those sources.

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

There's similarities and differences. I think one of my biggest criticisms about Corbyn was he was just simply awful at handling the media. Sanders, on the other hand, is pretty effective at getting his points across clearly when you put him in front of a TV camera. He actually did a town hall on Fox News, with what was meant to be a hostile crowd against his policies, and Fox News had a weird time with it because he actually seemed to really connect with the crowd at the town hall & even with the Fox News "moderator" basically linking him with the crowd.

But I think the biggest similarity is the media absolutely fucking hates him, like they did with Corbyn. Which is why you see the "left" press gravitating towards Biden/Bloomberg (although Bloomberg's taken an absolute beating in terms of popularity, although it looks like what he's turned to now is paying California's progressive mayors - who apparently lack all integrity - to endorse him).

I think this election and also 2016 demonstrate how much power the US media really has. In 2016, Trump's candidacy shouldn't have been given anywhere near as much coverage as it initially received - it wasn't his first time announcing he was running for president and it should have been taken as seriously as it was taken those first few times. Instead, they'd do things like show an empty stage awaiting Trump's arrival with a countdown rather than show town halls with the candidates that were occurring at the same time. You can also just compare Bernie's coverage vs. Hillary's in 2016... and then look at what the media's doing now that Bernie's looking the front runner and how they're desperate for Biden/Bloomberg to do well. Running the American media means you can pick and choose which candidates should be taken seriously and which ones shouldn't - and when someone looks to be breaking away from the script, you just absolutely tarnish their image in the media.

I've never hated a candidate in an election I can't vote in more than I hate Michael Bloomberg though. He seems like a man who's jealous of Trump and who wants to be able to be as blatantly corrupt as Trump is, while being a bit smarter about it so he doesn't get caught up in a scandal every 5 seconds. Aside from that, he's just absolutely flooded California's TV ads with his bullshit. I can't imagine how much he's spent to try to buy his way into this election, but it has to be something insane. I fear if the world gets Bloomberg after Trump, the U.S. Presidency will just be another commodity for billionaires to buy for their egos - like football clubs.

I think there's got to be something done about money in American politics. Bloomberg is only where he is in this race because he's very rich - not because he has any organic political support. He's also got his own media empire, which probably is not a good thing for expecting fair coverage (or a free press relating to this election) from those sources.

Yeah Bloomberg is terrible. The biggest statement you could ever make about what's wrong with money in politics. Not even remotely a Democrat, the worst candidate in the field for the democratic nomination.

Last reports were 500m of his own money spent. Look at the level of field offices setup for him across the 14 states.

I think the ability to get money out of politics has been lost for twenty years due to the election of trump in 2016 and the impact it's had on the supreme court balance of power. If Garland had been confirmed it's have been different but instead it's seeing back to the Conservatives and will get worse by 2020.

20200305_000530.jpg

Biden winning big on Super Tuesday. In many of the articles released before it, Biden campaigners and Sanders opponents were quoted as saying that a 'best-case' scenario for them would be that Sanders would win, but with not enough delegates to really widen the gap. Now Biden has even won Texas (where Sanders had been topping the polls for weeks), so surely this means this is the beginning of the end for Sanders, unless something drastic happens.

1 hour ago, Panflute said:

Biden winning big on Super Tuesday. In many of the articles released before it, Biden campaigners and Sanders opponents were quoted as saying that a 'best-case' scenario for them would be that Sanders would win, but with not enough delegates to really widen the gap. Now Biden has even won Texas (where Sanders had been topping the polls for weeks), so surely this means this is the beginning of the end for Sanders, unless something drastic happens.

It could still go either way. The biggest single piece of Super Tuesday is California and Bernie will win that.

Biden's momentum peaked in the 24 hours before so it turned alot of undecideds but they can swing a different way depending on external events. Like burisma being back in the news.

Bloomberg and Warren are both still big variables that will likely mean no candidates gets a plurality of delegates.

It's amazing how the Democratic Party rolled over so naively for Trump, but then the moment a moderately left-wing candidate threatened to get remotely close to power, they snapped into action with such unbelievable ruthlessness and political cunning. 

I am clearly out of touch with everyone politically - but this is baffling to me, that so many democrats could think going with the status quo establishment democrat that has a scandal the right-wing will just run away with. Hillary and her emails; Biden and Burisma. 

I think America just really wants 4 more years of Trump. At least the media and the moderates do.

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I am clearly out of touch with everyone politically - but this is baffling to me, that so many democrats could think going with the status quo establishment democrat that has a scandal the right-wing will just run away with. Hillary and her emails; Biden and Burisma. 

I think America just really wants 4 more years of Trump. At least the media and the moderates do.

I think Buttigieg and Warren are the best general election candidates. But Joe isn't terrible.

He has a lot of good will and will only be subject to character assassination for a much shorter time than Hillary Clinton who copped it for about 12 years so there won't be the same level of fatigue. He also wasn't handed the nomination he had to arm wrestle some quite attractive candidates running on his same lane so I don't see this election having the same level of apathy as 2016 if Biden is the trump alternative.

He isn't a good candidate but he can still make a good ticket with the right VP choice and is capable of beating trump.

12 hours ago, Panflute said:

I hope the $500 million was worth it, lol

Supposedly he's going to turn his finding into an anti trump super PAC now and run anti trump ads in red and purple states

Like this one

Elizabeth Warren drops out of the race.

In a field with some brilliant female candidates like Warren klobuchar and Harris who would have thought Tulsi would be the last woman left in the race.

13 hours ago, Panflute said:

I hope the $500 million was worth it, lol

It's a ridiculous amount of money... but a drop in the bucket for him.

His financial backing is now going to go behind Biden, which I think is a win for him even if he's not in contention to be President anymore - I think for him, just seeing someone that's not Warren/Sanders as the front runner was the end goal. He managed to buy his way into almost 15% of the vote for the democratic primary in California - which is pretty remarkable considering his policies are so centre right he's basically a moderate republican... and California's meant to be a democratic stronghold.

Biden's most likely going to get the nomination with Bloomberg funded PACs backing him, imo. I think Biden's biggest impediment to the nomination is likely what I think would be his downfall if he were to be the nominee... it's that when he opens his mouth he does so much to turn off voters. His best public appearances have been in the VP debates where he made Paul Ryan look like an absolute intellectual lightweight - which Trump surely is, so maybe that could go well for him. But on the other hand, Trump's debate performances don't really seem to matter, judging by his debate performances against Hillary Clinton. He can control a narrative through twitter or by just saying crazy shite to the media - debate performances aren't likely to sway too many voters.

But you can just feel that Biden will make a stupid gaffe, because that's what he's done throughout his political career, and then there will be memes that go viral from those gaffes. Weirdly, that shit doesn't seem to make any impact when it's Trump acting like a moron on a day to day basis - but we've seen that the facebook political meme machine just has different effects on different politicians.

55 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's a ridiculous amount of money... but a drop in the bucket for him.

His financial backing is now going to go behind Biden, which I think is a win for him even if he's not in contention to be President anymore - I think for him, just seeing someone that's not Warren/Sanders as the front runner was the end goal. He managed to buy his way into almost 15% of the vote for the democratic primary in California - which is pretty remarkable considering his policies are so centre right he's basically a moderate republican... and California's meant to be a democratic stronghold.

Biden's most likely going to get the nomination with Bloomberg funded PACs backing him, imo. I think Biden's biggest impediment to the nomination is likely what I think would be his downfall if he were to be the nominee... it's that when he opens his mouth he does so much to turn off voters. His best public appearances have been in the VP debates where he made Paul Ryan look like an absolute intellectual lightweight - which Trump surely is, so maybe that could go well for him. But on the other hand, Trump's debate performances don't really seem to matter, judging by his debate performances against Hillary Clinton. He can control a narrative through twitter or by just saying crazy shite to the media - debate performances aren't likely to sway too many voters.

But you can just feel that Biden will make a stupid gaffe, because that's what he's done throughout his political career, and then there will be memes that go viral from those gaffes. Weirdly, that shit doesn't seem to make any impact when it's Trump acting like a moron on a day to day basis - but we've seen that the facebook political meme machine just has different effects on different politicians.

I think primarily Bloomberg just wants trump out, and wants a candidate that wins.

Secondarily he wants a candidate that's not going to fuck the economy.

He's undertaken to give away almost 100% of his wealth before he dies so not sure he'd care that much about a wealth tax 

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Lol Tulsi Gabbard, why is she still in this? Her whole presidential run is just a job audition for Fox News.

She'll pick up some voters due to error and/or due to apathy and whatever that amounts to will ultimately it'll end up displayed under her Fox news byline.

Archived