talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sheffield United's Incredible Rise and Even Quicker Fall in the Premier League

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.3c85fd44751488b929418e3b4b9089f2.png

Luke Freeman: Sheffield United sign QPR midfielder in a club record deal

Sheffield United have made their first signing since returning to the Premier League with QPR midfielder Luke Freeman joining for a club record fee.

Freeman, 27, scored eight goals last season for Rangers.

"He's one of the best players in the Championship and he can play in a number of positions," said United boss Chris Wilder.

"Luke is ideal to complement what we already have at the club, I think he will be a good fit for us."

The Blades broke their previous transfer record last summer when they signed defender John Egan from Brentford for a reported £4m. The fee for Freeman is undisclosed.

Former Manchester United and West Ham midfielder Ravel Morrison has also been training with the club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48854488

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

Quote.thumb.png.3c85fd44751488b929418e3b4b9089f2.png

Luke Freeman: Sheffield United sign QPR midfielder in a club record deal

Sheffield United have made their first signing since returning to the Premier League with QPR midfielder Luke Freeman joining for a club record fee.

Freeman, 27, scored eight goals last season for Rangers.

"He's one of the best players in the Championship and he can play in a number of positions," said United boss Chris Wilder.

"Luke is ideal to complement what we already have at the club, I think he will be a good fit for us."

The Blades broke their previous transfer record last summer when they signed defender John Egan from Brentford for a reported £4m. The fee for Freeman is undisclosed.

Former Manchester United and West Ham midfielder Ravel Morrison has also been training with the club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48854488

He's got a good surname (because it's also mine)

• Administrator

A real shame to lose Freeman, but you can’t blame him for wanting Premier League football. Plus, QPR are going nowhere. A total shambles and stuck in this weird purgatory where they can’t move stadium due to chasing the dream almost bankrupting the club. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.d180bb066e492d454b3139200140009b.png

A Saudi prince has won a High Court battle over the control of Premier League side Sheffield United.

Kevin McCabe and Prince Abdullah Bin Mosaad Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud were locked in a legal battle over their 50-50 ownership of the Blades.

Mr Justice Fancourt ruled Mr McCabe must now sell his stake to Prince Abdullah for £5m.

Mr McCabe, a lifelong Blades fan, said he was "bitterly disappointed" and was considering an appeal.

The court heard Sheffield-born Mr McCabe had invested £100m in the club over a number of years.

He met Prince Abdullah in 2013 while looking for fresh investment in the club, then in League One.

FULL REPORT

Not what we wanted but hopefully it works out. Wilder reportedly has a good relationship with the prince, who signed off his new deal and even invited him to his home, so who knows. He also says he'll invest in keeping us up; but we'll see. McCabe was only going to sell the club anyway and that would have taken some time.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.227280d6eb23b4877ebee2d437935a1c.png

Sheffield United: Kevin McCabe questions the suitability of new owner Prince Abdullah

Former Sheffield United owner Kevin McCabe has questioned new owner Prince Abdullah's suitability to run the club.

McCabe was forced to sell his 50% stake in the Premier League side because of a high-court ruling and says he regrets selling 50% to the Saudi in 2013.

Lifelong Blades fan McCabe said he had "hesitation and concern" and would consider a court appeal.

But Prince Abdullah, who invested £10m, said: "When fans look back in four or five years' time, they'll be happy."

McCabe, who has invested more than £100m in the club, told Sky Sports: "I have hesitation and concern over the overall management of the club off the field and more particularly management on the field.

"I question whether [Prince Abdullah] has the suitability to be the right guy to lead as the owner of Sheffield United."

But the new owner, whose full name is Prince Abdullah Bin Mosaad Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, said he had no plans to sell the club and backed manager Chris Wilder, who has led the team from League One to the Premier League in three seasons.

He said that although Belgian Jan van Winckel would remain as a technical director, the decisions of Wilder "are the ones we'll go with".

Prince Abdullah told Sky: "In every decision we face, we will make sure we do the best for the club. I'm going to invest heavily in the academy and we have a great working relationship with manager Chris Wilder.

"I know I'll do well, and I ask fans to give me an opportunity and will make them proud."

McCabe fell out with Prince Abdullah in 2017 and attempted to buy back the Saudi's 50% share for £5m.

But the original sale terms gave the prince's company, UTB LLC, the option to buy McCabe's shareholding at the same price and a counter-notice was served on January 2018.

After winning the case, the high court judge said UTB LLC would also have to buy the club's property assets, including the Bramall Lane stadium, the academy and the Sheffield United hotel.

McCabe has previously also questioned why Prince Abdullah had been to only four Sheffield United games in six years.

But Prince Abdullah said: "I've seen every game in the past three or four years. I don't like to attend games really. I like to watch games in mute and alone. I will appoint my son-in-law as chairman of the club. He will move to Sheffield.

"I'll be there when I need to be."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49726916

To be fair, they are mostly seen in the middle east as owners of a massive construction company so in reality it's no different to doing business with any other crazy rich group of people. Obviously Osama has disgraced their name in the west though, not many are aware of them just being the type of capitalist pigs that we love...

23 minutes ago, 6666 said:

To be fair, they are mostly seen in the middle east as owners of a massive construction company so in reality it's no different to doing business with any other crazy rich group of people. Obviously Osama has disgraced their name in the west though, not many are aware of them just being the type of capitalist pigs that we love...

I mean given the questions about the Saudi government's involvement with the September 11th attacks and their backing of Salafist extremists... it's pretty easy to question whether the view that the Bin Laden family just have a "black sheep" (well... two if you include Hamza Bin Laden) or if it's something that's just been tacitly approved of by the Bin Laden family and other powerful Saudis.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean given the questions about the Saudi government's involvement with the September 11th attacks and their backing of Salafist extremists... it's pretty easy to question whether the view that the Bin Laden family just have a "black sheep" (well... two if you include Hamza Bin Laden) or if it's something that's just been tacitly approved of by the Bin Laden family and other powerful Saudis.

Saw a documentary on the family some time ago after that white lady married a Bin Laden. Just seem like regular rich bastards. Also don't think the Saudi government and the Bin Laden family are that closely linked especially when it comes to decisions the Saudi government make. I'd say the Bin Laden family actually come off better when compared to the Saudi government.

9 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Saw a documentary on the family some time ago after that white lady married a Bin Laden. Just seem like regular rich bastards. Also don't think the Saudi government and the Bin Laden family are that closely linked especially when it comes to decisions the Saudi government make. I'd say the Bin Laden family actually come off better when compared to the Saudi government.

I mean you've got a member of the Saudi royal family defending the Bin Laden family name here... so I think they're fairly closely linked on at least some level. I imagine if they're one of the biggest construction firms in Saudi Arabia... they get a lot of business from the government.

In any case, it's a bit mental to say that the surname of probably the most prominent terrorist in the last 20 years or so isn't "disgraced" - I'm sure the Bin Laden family would prefer not to change their names... but yeah, that name will be forever tarnished in the West... so if they want to avoid that disgrace, maybe a "rebranding" of the family is the best thing to do.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean you've got a member of the Saudi royal family defending the Bin Laden family name here... so I think they're fairly closely linked on at least some level. I imagine if they're one of the biggest construction firms in Saudi Arabia... they get a lot of business from the government.

In any case, it's a bit mental to say that the surname of probably the most prominent terrorist in the last 20 years or so isn't "disgraced" - I'm sure the Bin Laden family would prefer not to change their names... but yeah, that name will be forever tarnished in the West... so if they want to avoid that disgrace, maybe a "rebranding" of the family is the best thing to do.

In the west it definitely is disgraced but the Sheffield United owner is from Saudi Arabia so from his point of view I can see why it'd be different. Maybe they can call themselves the Lin Badens when doing business in the west.

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.ab21a3e9e1e10aa082d5a0227ce4b10e.png

Jack Rodwell training with Sheffield United after leaving Blackburn in summer

Former Everton and Manchester City midfielder Jack Rodwell is training with Sheffield United.

The 28-year-old, who has three England caps, is a free agent after leaving Blackburn Rovers in the summer and was linked with a move to Roma in October.

"He is obviously a very talented player who should be playing in the Premier League regularly, but for one reason or another isn't," said boss Chris Wilder.

"Jack is looking at us and we are looking at Jack."

Rodwell's move to Blackburn came after the cancellation of his £43,000-a-week contract by Sunderland following their relegation to League One in June 2018.

He had joined Sunderland for £10m in August 2014 from Manchester City.

"It's not a trial. Jack is in for a few days. We know about Jack. He's without a club at the moment," added Wilder.

"He is obviously a talent because of the teams he's played for and he's looking for a home and it's something that might develop along the way."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50853697

Archived