talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sheffield United's Incredible Rise and Even Quicker Fall in the Premier League

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Chris Wilder's done an absolutely outrageous job. League Two to Premier League in four years.

I've quite warmed to Sheff Utd. A city befitting of top flight football.

As you can imagine the whole city is buzzing, even last season there was a sense early on and to the mid-way point that a potential promotion was in the air for this side; and this season a few smart additions were made to realise that. Wilder has done an outstanding job, galvanised the whole club.

It's been 12 years... 12 damn years :hh:

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, DNA said:

As you can imagine the whole city is buzzing, even last season there was a sense early on and to the mid-way point that a potential promotion was in the air for this side; and this season a few smart additions were made to realise that. Wilder has done an outstanding job, galvanised the whole club.

It's been 12 years... 12 damn years :hh:

Hmmmmmmm.....

Fair play to them, couple of ex-Bees in there who I'm glad are in the Prem. Egan one of those players who didn't really do amazingly for us and maybe at times a bit exposed on and off the ball with our style of play, but has fitted well into Wilder's fairly direct style that has got them results. I don't think Leeds should be too down...obviously Leeds spend money but any side who goes up and can afford to pay Hogan's wages and have him come off the bench are a side who should be where they are, regardless of it being a loan.

• Administrator

Really happy for Chris Wilder - seems to be a really good manager and almost gone under the radar despite how successful he's been? So many promotions recently and this one must surely top it all off.

I've no doubt they'll be more promising to watch than Norwich. Probably stay up ahead of them. I can just see Norwich scoring and conceding lots which will be their downfall. Sheff Utd seem a bit more resolute and organised. Probably grind out a few victories and Bramall Lane seems more intimidating to go to than Norwich does (look at the weekend's atmospheres at the respective grounds despite the latter winning the fucking league!). 

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

More promising to watch than Norwich? Norwich play some of the best stuff I've seen from a side at that level.

I agree. I bit my tongue when Pukki scored from forty yards out against Birmingham back in January, and thought Moritz Leitner was an act to follow. They have some quality players and shouldn’t be underestimated. That’s how they’ll be able to run past the big guns in the Prem. They’re just absolute shite at defending.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Dan said:

More promising to watch than Norwich? Norwich play some of the best stuff I've seen from a side at that level.

So did Fulham last season as well... 

I think what I meant was that they have a more promising chance of staying up. 

Good on them for chasing us down like a dog with a bone, winning at Elland Road when we battered them in what was a key game, and not folding like a pack of cards at the crunch like we did over Easter.

Happy for them, I've got great respect for Chris Wilder too, although he's gone down in my estimation a little for the unclassy comments he made to Blades IFollow TV having a dig at us. Talk about your team that got promoted mate, not about us. You beat us fair and square.

To be fair, we can all say things when we are emotional but I didn't like that. Part from that, I'm happy for them.

Really hope we can follow but we have probably blown it now.

On 28/04/2019 at 18:07, Danny said:

Fair play to them, couple of ex-Bees in there who I'm glad are in the Prem. Egan one of those players who didn't really do amazingly for us and maybe at times a bit exposed on and off the ball with our style of play, but has fitted well into Wilder's fairly direct style that has got them results. I don't think Leeds should be too down...obviously Leeds spend money but any side who goes up and can afford to pay Hogan's wages and have him come off the bench are a side who should be where they are, regardless of it being a loan.

Disagree, I think they've played some wonderful stuff going forward. Their full backs in particular have been exceptional in transitioning from defence into quick, flowing counter attacks. 

I'd say they're direct but it's far from mindless, speculative stuff like the term is normally used for. 

They soak up pressure well and then they prefer to smartly and quickly exploit space left behind as opposed to building extended moves. 

• Subscriber

Do they not play this very peculiar overlapping centre back system? They play a three at the back and the wide centre backs will occasionally overlap in the style of a full back. Watch this space when this is mentioned a lot next year.

11 hours ago, StefBWFC said:

Disagree, I think they've played some wonderful stuff going forward. Their full backs in particular have been exceptional in transitioning from defence into quick, flowing counter attacks. 

They’re no Burnley in the Prem but they are a pretty direct side, long balls, crosses from wide positions etc. I guess more old school of English football but they’ve made it work for them so fair play.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 16:08, Dan said:

Do they not play this very peculiar overlapping centre back system? They play a three at the back and the wide centre backs will occasionally overlap in the style of a full back. Watch this space when this is mentioned a lot next year.

There's a pretty interesting video highlighting it on YouTube. Pretty interesting stuff. I don't know if it'll be as effective in the top flight though - if an overlapping centreback loses possession in a league with better players, technically and physically, I can see them conceding on the counter pretty frequently. But also with the right midfielders dropping back, you could probably still maintain defensive stability... so maybe it'll work out fine in the prem.

Will be interesting to see next season.

Nice to see Sheffield United players focussing on what means more to them.

Totally can't understand why they don't focus on what they have achieved than sing about us.

This is a prime example of why we need to exit The Championship.

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Nice to see Sheffield United players focussing on what means more to them.

Totally can't understand why they don't focus on what they have achieved than sing about us.

This is a prime example of why we need to exit The Championship.

Says something about how you're still a massive club even after all this time out in the wilderness.

• 3 weeks later...

To understand this you have to go back to when dem Blades moved into second spot ahead of Leeds, and Patrick Bamford went public saying that Leeds knew how to handle the pressure and questioning whether We would. The response from Wilder at the promotion party (albeit partly about Bamford’s cheating as well) and the players on the Bus was their response to that. 

The Spygate “Stop Crying Frank Lampard” song clearly motivated Derby as well if you listened to Lampard after the game

SO, next season don’t cheat, shut up, drop that clown Bamford ( who let the  pressure get to him  more than everybody) and worry about playing football, and you might go up. 

I think we can surprise a few people. I see many people who haven’t seen us assume we are a direct “hoof ball” team, which we have been to win the 2 previous promotions, but we are far from that. Wilder will know that we have to choose our battles, accept the beatings against the big 6 but try and take what we can against the other 13. 4th bottom will do me for year 1 but I’m hopeful of finishing a bit higher than that. 

Archived