talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sheffield United's Incredible Rise and Even Quicker Fall in the Premier League

16 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Quote.thumb.png.ab21a3e9e1e10aa082d5a0227ce4b10e.png

Jack Rodwell training with Sheffield United after leaving Blackburn in summer

Former Everton and Manchester City midfielder Jack Rodwell is training with Sheffield United.

The 28-year-old, who has three England caps, is a free agent after leaving Blackburn Rovers in the summer and was linked with a move to Roma in October.

"He is obviously a very talented player who should be playing in the Premier League regularly, but for one reason or another isn't," said boss Chris Wilder.

"Jack is looking at us and we are looking at Jack."

Rodwell's move to Blackburn came after the cancellation of his £43,000-a-week contract by Sunderland following their relegation to League One in June 2018.

He had joined Sunderland for £10m in August 2014 from Manchester City.

"It's not a trial. Jack is in for a few days. We know about Jack. He's without a club at the moment," added Wilder.

"He is obviously a talent because of the teams he's played for and he's looking for a home and it's something that might develop along the way."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50853697

No idea why we seem to be on a mission to resurrect these types, I had hoped after signing Ravel Morrison it would have been lesson learned, clearly not.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Has he even featured for you this year?

He came on as a sub for the last 10 minutes of our loss against Leicester in the league. Also had a run out in the good ol' carabao cup against Blackburn, didn't exactly pull up any trees.

Posted a lot of cryptic teenage girl type stuff on social media.. then he disappeared, not injured, barely features on match days. On a serious note, I think he has mental health problems.

6 hours ago, DNA said:

He came on as a sub for the last 10 minutes of our loss against Leicester in the league. Also had a run out in the good ol' carabao cup against Blackburn, didn't exactly pull up any trees.

Posted a lot of cryptic teenage girl type stuff on social media.. then he disappeared, not injured, barely features on match days. On a serious note, I think he has mental health problems.

That last sentence is a definite. The most talented youngster we saw in the United academy for simple raw skill. Attitude stinks, too many gangsta mates from Wythenshawe, criminal damage conviction, along with intimidation at knifepoint. That talent is the only reason he wasn't fucked off before he got to the first team. Warning signs have been there since he was 14.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

:congrats: 

Quote.thumb.png.3ea3c2e42ab690c45306facde37cacd2.png

Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder extends his contract until 2024

Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder has extended his contract with the Premier League club until 2024.

Wilder, 52, joined the club in 2016 and has guided the Blades from League One into the English game's top flight.

The boyhood Blades fan was under contract until 2022 but both he and his assistant Alan Knill have signed new deals.

"Naturally, I'm delighted to sign a new deal until 2024 and commit to the club that is close to my heart," he said.

"We've had a great few years and hopefully we can continue the upward curve - let's see how far we can go on this journey."

Wilder spoke about the possibility of leaving the club in 2018 as a result of boardroom tensions that eventually led to a court hearing that allowed Prince Abdullah Bin Mosaad Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud to take full ownership.

He has received widespread praise for guiding the Bramall Lane club to eighth place in their first season back in the Premier League since 2006-07.

Prince Abdullah said: "Chris has played an integral role in our recent and current success and we want him at the helm in the future driving us forward, hence the new long-term contract.

"He is a dynamic leader, with whom the supporters connect and it is important we have someone of his stature leading this club on the field. January is a very important month but securing the signature of Chris was paramount and underpins all the plans we have for the next few years."

Before Friday's home game with West Ham, Wilder has a 51.4% win ratio with Sheffield United - his highest percentage in a career that has also seen him manage Northampton, Oxford United and Halifax Town.

Wilder, who played for Sheffield United between 1986 and 1992, began his managerial career with Alfreton Town in 2001.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51069883

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

You got me confused? couldn't find him in the transfer bit so I stuck it in here, have I been a naughty boy again. :shutup:  O.o

xD no but there doesn't always have to be a screenshot from BBC.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

xD no but there doesn't always have to be a screenshot from BBC.

They are not from the BBC, just a link to EPL page? O.o

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1530906

I always put a link in as some companies are funny with copyright material if there is no link to any article. :ay: 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

They are not from the BBC, just a link to EPL page? O.o

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1530906

I always put a link in as some companies are funny with copyright material if there is no link to any article. :ay: 

Either way, it's not the end of the world if there's no screenshot :twothumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

@DNA usually when I get promoted to the prem in FIFA with the Tranmere sides I take up, my first season in the top flight is pretty similar to the one you're having now. At this rate, you'll be champions by the end of next season.

Exciting times ahead.

36 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@DNA usually when I get promoted to the prem in FIFA with the Tranmere sides I take up, my first season in the top flight is pretty similar to the one you're having now. At this rate, you'll be champions by the end of next season.

Exciting times ahead.

I've just took Mansfield all the way to the Prem, made them £148m, won the CL and won the FA Cup.

I've just been threatened with the sack for not reaching their expectations ffs hahaha 

Good on them. No bitterness on my part having lost out to them last year and actually chuffed they have justified my pick as the surprise of the season.

Going strength to strength. Hope for their sake they can finish strong now and claim a Top 8 spot which is no more than they deserve.

Even more satisfying is seeing all the deluded Wednesday fans, cold in their shadow, watching on in envy. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Exciting times ahead.

It's incredible really, not quite the heights of Southampton, Leicester or Bournemouth rises, but certainly up there, the sheer scale of the task Wilder had when he arrived and what has transpired is Fifa-esque for sure. 

We were 11th in League One whilst Sheffield Wednesday were in the Play-Off final for the Premier League. 'WAWAW' & 'mind the gap' being shouted at us... now look.

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Wilder has publicly criticised his players for lacking bottle.

Now I really like Wilder and think he's done a great job... but that seems really harsh to me? 

You should see his interview after their game with us a couple weeks ago. Scathing would be an understatement.

28 minutes ago, Stan said:

You should see his interview after their game with us a couple weeks ago. Scathing would be an understatement.

Yeah I saw it. Think he's being really harsh on players that were expected by most to be relegated.

• Administrator
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah I saw it. Think he's being really harsh on players that were expected by most to be relegated.

I think that's fair but then it's one of those where you work so hard to get to a great position in the league like they have then from his point of view it looks like they've 'bottled' it and just let that hard work go to waste. But take everything in to perspective and it's a fantastic season - he's got his standards though and feels they're not met.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think that's fair but then it's one of those where you work so hard to get to a great position in the league like they have then from his point of view it looks like they've 'bottled' it and just let that hard work go to waste. But take everything in to perspective and it's a fantastic season - he's got his standards though and feels they're not met.

I get that, and if he had bollocked them in private I could understand. But publicly... nah, I think that's harsh. 

Its like one of his players going on talksport and saying "Wilder had us in a great position and then fucked it all up for us with his tactics". 

Archived