talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 0-1 Ajax - Tuesday 30th April, 2019 (SF 1st Leg)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After Vertonghen is literally carried off the pitch, serious questions have to be made about Tottenham's medical staff. The whole world could see he was concussed and they put him back on the pitch. Absolutely woeful.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Yes? It's weak. Doesn't make Lamela and Aurier 'key players'. 

Fucking hell Stan 3 key players are enough for you surely for that to be a lot. Considering Spurs don’t have another forward on the bench I’d say Lamela is a fairly key player at this point, the same for Aurier considering Foyth is a centre back

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Fucking hell Stan 3 key players are enough for you surely for that to be a lot. Considering Spurs don’t have another forward on the bench I’d say Lamela is a fairly key player at this point, the same for Aurier considering Foyth is a centre back

It's a few. We're talking semantics ultimately so can leave it there! 

It's all a product of Spurs' lack of activity in transfer windows. Lack of squad depth hurting them when it matters the most and games come thick and fast. As if they didn't expect it themselves to get so far and not count for a few injuries/suspensions. Ironically they've done well to get so far with such a squad. 

3 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

After Vertonghen is literally carried off the pitch, serious questions have to be made about Tottenham's medical staff. The whole world could see he was concussed and they put him back on the pitch. Absolutely woeful.

It just smacks of outright unethical behaviour.

Any medical professional should be above footballing considerations, and shouldn't have any thought but the safety of the player. 

2 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Spurs have it in them to turn this around, but what a good result for Ajax. 

Also, Spurs looked just a wee bit nervous and overawed by the occasion in the first half. 

I agree. Certainly not over yet, especially when you consider Ajax haven't gotten great results at home. With Son back it will become interesting.

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Not a great result for Spurs but not a disaster either

Vertonghen looked well shaken up when he came off but they were saying he is doing ok?? All these injuries piling up for Spurs at the worst possible time

Even something like blood piling up in his throat could have made him feel a lot sicker, hopefully it's not quite as serious as it seems. 

• Subscriber

I'm actually weirdly a bit disappointed with that. Ajax aren't at as much of an advantage as their performance deserved to be. It's a real blow for them not getting the 2nd and that chance where van de Beek doesn't cut back to Neres could cost them if they aren't careful.

They'd have taken 0-1 before the game but there was a point in that game where I thought they were going to absolutely smash it and have the tie pretty much sealed tonight.

Now it's a bit more balanced than I thought it was going to be. They defended superbly but their failure to get a 2nd I worry might do them. Spurs are a different kettle of fish with an available Son.

And that was exactly why I wanted City through. Spurs were poor.

Ajax are the people's champs. Look sexy, play sexy, what's not to love.

Them winning the Champions League would invigorate this competition in a similar way to Leicester winning the Premier League. It needs it.

On behalf of Football, I hope they do it.

• Administrator

Wonder if Vertonghen will miss next week. That's definitely a key player out for Spurs if he has bad concussion. Guessing the necessary precautions will be in place even if he wants to play next week back in Amsterdam. 

Dele Alli nowhere to be seen as well tonight, a recurring theme. 

At least for Spurs' sake they are still in it. In these cup ties, having to score can sometimes bring out the best in a team, they just need to take the chances which will come next week. An away goal there would put the pressure seriously on Ajax. The change in formation helped Spurs tonight but the biggest difference second half was that they played further up the pitch and matched Ajax's intensity.

I think Ajax will feel disappointed with only the 1 goal but it was a professional performance away from home, the first 35 minutes Ajax just played Spurs off the park.  Tottenham in the end had to rely on a physical long ball game! It was like Spurs had subbed Big Sam on to be coach, really awful from them.  Spurs also can't really complain about being tired as well, Ajax have been playing Champions League games since early July, plus they are in the Final of The Dutch cup as well as played 32 League games.    I think Ajax will just have enough in Amsterdam to get them over the line, they really need a draw or a win which is very possible.

Ajax were incredible in the first half and the difference in quality between both the sides looked huge. Unbelievable that they only scored one in that entire period as I thought they completely toyed with Spurs. However, Spurs came out much stronger in the second half. Neres unlucky to not have scored and Spurs unlucky to have missed some of their most important players. Very very entertaining match though and hope Vertonghen is alright.  

7 hours ago, Stan said:

Wonder if Vertonghen will miss next week. That's definitely a key player out for Spurs if he has bad concussion. Guessing the necessary precautions will be in place even if he wants to play next week back in Amsterdam. 

With a concussion, he'll be out a minimum of two weeks before he can even participate in training.

Well, at least he should be... Football is about 20 years behind when it comes to dealing with them. 

• The title was changed to Tottenham 0-1 Ajax - Tuesday 30th April, 2019 (SF 1st Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived