talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Barcelona 3-0 Liverpool - Wednesday 1st May, 2019 (SF 1st Leg)

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Do fancy us to score there and think we can get a positive result to take back into the second leg.

What's at the lower end of a positive result? A narrow defeat in which we score 1 or 2?

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

What's at the lower end of a positive result? A narrow defeat in which we score 1 or 2?

I think a score draw although a narrow defeat with an away goal or two isn't a bad result at all. Scoring over there is important because there's every chance they do at Anfield

I can see this going 2 ways. I don't think this will be a particularly close game actually.

Barcelona with 60+% possession and a bit of creativity. They use their far superior midfield and passing structure to remove Liverpools attacking energy as a factor. 2-0 or 3-0. To Barcelona. MAYBE liverpool score. But it's not in the script. The idea here is that Barca play Liverpool off the park and Liverpool would be lucky to get a goal.

OR

The opposite. Barcelona struggle to contain Liverpools explosive style and industrious midfield.  Liverpool score 2 or 3 to Barcas 0-1. 

I just can't see 2 teams with such opposing philosophies having a harmonious draw. 

3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I can see this going 2 ways. I don't think this will be a particularly close game actually.

Barcelona with 60+% possession and a bit of creativity. They use their far superior midfield and passing structure to remove Liverpools attacking energy as a factor. 2-0 or 3-0. To Barcelona. MAYBE liverpool score. But it's not in the script. The idea here is that Barca play Liverpool off the park and Liverpool would be lucky to get a goal.

OR

The opposite. Barcelona struggle to contain Liverpools explosive style and industrious midfield.  Liverpool score 2 or 3 to Barcas 0-1. 

I just can't see 2 teams with such opposing philosophies having a harmonious draw. 

The Barca fans I know have stated that their team this season has struggled against sides who press at high intensity, hence the Liverpool side worries them. 

Our result depends on Firmino's availability. If he plays we will do well. If we doesn't, then we will struggle. 

1 hour ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

The Barca fans I know have stated that their team this season has struggled against sides who press at high intensity, hence the Liverpool side worries them. 

Our result depends on Firmino's availability. If he plays we will do well. If we doesn't, then we will struggle. 

This Barcelona team hasn't truly convinced me this season for some reason. I see fragilities in the team. But then again, no loss in La Liga since November and no loss in the Champs league since against Roma last season shows that they must be doing something right!

The only losses this season(2 in la liga, 2 in the copa, which was practically the B team, and 0 in Champs league) have also been by a single goal in games which were very nearly a draw, so it's obviously a strong team and Valverde is obviously getting it right. The problem is that all it takes is one bad result and you're out.

Liverpool are easily the worst opponent that Barcelona could face and I would in fact say that they are the only team who I don't fancy Barcelona beating over 2 legs. I reckon Barcelona would be favourite in a final, but Liverpool over 2 legs.

Roberto Firmino looks set to play in Liverpool’s Champions League clash with Barcelona.

The no.9 participated in Tuesday’s open training session at Melwood before Liverpool travel to Spain to face the Catalan giants.

Mohamed Salah also joined Firmino in training, putting to bed rumours he had picked up a knock this week.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/roberto-firmino-mohamed-salah-injury-16201757

Can't find anything on Fabinho

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Does Fabinho start even if he is fit? I'd fully expect Klopp to go with the three he usually does in these type of games regardless.

This is a good point. Klopp will look for continuity here but theres nothing to suggest the Brazilian will be on the bench in a game where we need more disruption. I think he starts with Hendo and then lets Fabinho play the closer if we're up and need more grit and midfield disruption. 

I'd like to see Alex get some game time too, I think hes hungry for it and he can cause them problems with the more direct approach he has.

This will be the best team we've faced in a year. The LFC old boys in Suarez and Coutinho, with the best player in the world on their side.

We haven't ever beaten Barca in the Champions league so I'm not at all confident for this one but hopefully we can score a goal and contain the damage inflicted.

Best guess 3-1 to Barcelona

59 minutes ago, Harry said:

This will be the best team we've faced in a year. The LFC old boys in Suarez and Coutinho, with the best player in the world on their side.

We haven't ever beaten Barca in the Champions league so I'm not at all confident for this one but hopefully we can score a goal and contain the damage inflicted.

Best guess 3-1 to Barcelona

Not that a match 12 years ago has any relevance to the current sides but that's incorrect. Beat them 2-1 in Barcelona under Benitez

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Not that a match 12 years ago has any relevance to the current sides but that's incorrect. Beat them 2-1 in Barcelona under Benitez

That was a cracking Liverpool team too.

50 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Surry I meant won a 2 leg tie against them. 

They are a European giant that we haven't seemed to run into much over the years...

26 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

That was a cracking Liverpool team too.

It was. I remember Arbeloa marking a young Messi out of the game

Just now, Harry said:

Surry I meant won a 2 leg tie against them. 

They are a European giant that we haven't seemed to run into much over the years...

We went through in that tie.

You're right that we've not played them much in the Champions League though. Only other time I can remember is in 2001/2 in the second group stage i think (who remembers that second group stage by the way, how weird was that? Think it only lasted for a session or two). Think we drew in the Nou Camp and lost at Anfield that season.

6 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It was. I remember Arbeloa marking a young Messi out of the game

We went through in that tie.

You're right that we've not played them much in the Champions League though. Only other time I can remember is in 2001/2 in the second group stage i think (who remembers that second group stage by the way, how weird was that? Think it only lasted for a session or two). Think we drew in the Nou Camp and lost at Anfield that season.

Gosh. I could almost swear we went out on away goals in that one. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Gosh. I could almost swear we went out on away goals in that one. 

Made it to the final that year mate. Alvaro Arbeloa had a little baby Messi in his pocket at Camp Nou, Bellamy attacked Riise with a golf club the night before... then scored and celebrated with a golf swing celebration. It was fantastic.

We lost the home leg, I think, 1-0. But we'd won 2-1 away, so we went through on away goals. That final was the Milan - Liverpool rematch, where Pippo Inzaghi Pippo'd us.

Riise - Bellamy golf thing. Momo Sissoko having probably his best match in a Red shirt at Anfield, where Ronaldinho hit the bar. And we went through on away goals. Good times those. 

I hope Fabinho, if fit, starts. Milner will struggle against this Barca side, Keita can be a sub and it's too early for Ox. A Hendo-Fabinho-Gini midfield is our best bet. 

• The title was changed to Barcelona 3-0 Liverpool - Wednesday 1st May, 2019 (SF 1st Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived