• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chernobyl (2019)

football forum

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

The divers didn't die within weeks. In fact, two of them are still alive while one passed away a bit over decade ago. All three (one of them posthumously) were awarded the Order For Courage (3rd degree) by the President of Ukraine in 2018. https://www.ukrinform.ru/rubric-society/2449795-prezident-vrucil-nagrady-geroamlikvidatoram-i-rabotnikam-caes.html

Борис Александрович Баранов (Boris Aleksandrovich Baranov) - continued his work at Chernobyl until his death in 2005 (died of heart attack). Here's his entry in the Chernobyl memorial book:

2019-05-30_12-54-57-332x500.jpg

And an interview with him in 2000 while he was still working (five years before his death):

1524750526-3671.jpeg

(the photo of his grandson accepting his award)

Валерий Олексійович Беспалов (Valeryi Oleksyovich Bespalov). Continued his work at Chernobyl; since 2012 has been working in the NNEGC "Energoatom" as a dispatcher of a group responsible for monitoring of nuclear installations.

1524743085-8523.jpeg

Алексей Михайлович Ананенко  (Alexey Mikhailovich Ananenko).  Continued his work at Chernobyl until 1989; later worked at Kyiv branch of the Atomenergoproject Institute, Scientific and Technical Center for Nuclear and Radiation Safety, State Nuclear Committee of Ukraine, Ministry of Environmental Protection of Ukraine, the Nuclear Regulatory Administration and the Ministry of Environmental Resources of Ukraine, until he retired last year.

630_360_1524743089-2483.jpeg

And interview with him about the events is available here: https://www.souzchernobyl.org/?id=2440 (in Russian only; sorry). He played down his role saying that the "diving" operation wasn't that complicated and the water levels were just up to knee level.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Cicero said:

That's good to see that their bravery has been acknowledged and forever immortalised. 

But how on earth were they not effected? 

They were most likely affected just not to an extent of it being lethal or causing significant health issues.

I'd imagine water down there wasn't as contaminated as expected; and water is also a good shield that absorbs and blocks radiation very well - so given that they were using some sort of scuba/wet suits and masks/respirators and underwent decontamination procedures thoroughly upon their return as well as the fact that they spent "only" minutes in the knee-deep water, it's not that surprising that they survived.

1 minute ago, True Blue said:

Wikipedia fucking lied to me

By the time the men surfaced from under the reactor, all three were showing signs of severe radiation poisoning. Tragically, none of them survived for more than a few weeks.

Like other victims of the Chernobyl disaster, the three men were buried in lead coffins.

What makes their actions unique in comparison to those of the disaster's first responders is that these men were warned outright of the danger radiation posed — firefighters weren't given any background on radiation poisoning before running to put out the flames. They're all heroes, but these three men knew they'd die; they did it anyway, saving the lives of hundreds of thousands.

Their story has been mostly lost to time, with references only popping up in books about catastrophe, danger, and disaster. But the names of these three men shouldn't be forgotten.

• Subscriber

Just watched the last one. Very impactful, educational and well acted mini-series.

Top rated TV show on IMDB right now, it wont last as it'll get down voted by fanboys and fangirls of other stuff but it really was very good. 

Just now, JOSHBRFC said:

I'm just referring to the ratings for it and social media. 

Yeah i know, they made it look like the greatest thing ever. However the Imdb ratings are shit, they made half of the Marvel movies excellent.

9 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

So.... is this really the greatest TV show of all time? 

Thinking of starting it next with the missus.

It's probably the best non-fiction miniseries I've ever watched. 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

DcXS0JPVQAASB6B.jpg

Na, kidding. I'll check it out tonight :)

I'm a bit biased as the show was actually mainly filmed in Lithuania (including the closed down actual nuclear power plant!) using mostly Lithuanian consultants and a few Lithuanian actors; and I can even recognise numerous places that were chosen for filming (the railroad bridge in Episode 1 where the locals gathered to watch the fallout being the best example as we used to climb it and drink beer there as teenagers) ^_^

It's a very good series at any case...

• Subscriber

Watched this with the missus and enjoyed every episode! Very good stuff and interestingly horrifying. It's made me want to watch real life video's and documentaries on it. Might have a search on Youtube.

How can the Soviet's get away with lying about deaths and not reporting deaths etc? I was completely unaware this event even happened to be honest, but i want to know more about it after this brilliant TV show. 

On 19/06/2019 at 19:25, Dr. Gonzo said:

This show makes me want to go to Pripyat, which is inexplicable

I know what you mean though. I went to Famagusta in Cyprus when I was staying over there and that was deserted, for different reasons.

There is something very eerie but compelling about it all. The kind of place you can smell the history, like Auschwitz etc.

18 hours ago, Lucas said:

I know what you mean though. I went to Famagusta in Cyprus when I was staying over there and that was deserted, for different reasons.

There is something very eerie but compelling about it all. The kind of place you can smell the history, like Auschwitz etc.

There’s this place I read the Wikipedia of for some reason, Centralia, Pennsylvania... it’s a ghost town because of a coal fire raging under the town since the 1960s. Apparently it’s what Silent Hill’s setting is based off. And a few weirdos still live there.

I want to go so bad

Archived