talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

René Adler retires

Injuries really fucked up his career. He would have been Germany's first choice goalkeeper 2008 instead of Neuer, he would have signed for Bayern instead of Neuer. Big shame. In his prime he was one of the best goalkeepers I've ever seen. Insane reflexes. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Yeah, I remember when both him and Neuer were upcoming talents and I thought Adler would be definitely the more successful one... Haha. 

It's a pity how his career turned out. Could have been worse of course, but still so much unrealised potential there.

6 hours ago, Spike said:

Wait, a minute. I thought there was another goalkeeper that would have been the first choice in 08 but he unfortunately committed suicide?

It's true. Enke. 

There's a story about the 2010 world cup I heard that the German goalkeeping staff and Yogi had a sit down and had to decide between Wiese, Adler and Neuer, but due to injurys he missed the WC all together.

6 hours ago, Spike said:

Wait, a minute. I thought there was another goalkeeper that would have been the first choice in 08 but he unfortunately committed suicide?

I confused 2008 with 2010. 2010 was what I meant. 

24 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Tommy - Tommy - Those Steins are beginning to affect your memory - slow down a little - please!

Huh?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

We don't call them that here. But I knew what it was. 

The Brits taking yet another German word and using it completely wrong. What a shocker :ph34r:

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, nudge said:

The Brits taking yet another German word and using it completely wrong. What a shocker :ph34r:

Educate me :D 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Educate me :D 

"Stein" just means "stone" in German... I suppose it's a loanword that originally referred primarily to those old style stoneware beer mugs like this:

Steinkrug-BAYERN-mit-Zinndeckel-hochglan

Those used to be called "Steinkrug" (literally meaning "stone mug") so I guess the English simply took the first part of the word and just started using it for any beer-related drink container...

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

Our use of the word Stein seems legit then to be fair :ph34r:

How so? You're literally calling it "beer stone" :what:

Reminds me of that image Tommy posted in the 'Schland topic a while ago; a pack of sausages that were apparently sold in the UK and were marketed as "German" and they actually managed to get absolutely EVERYTHING wrong (what was possible to get wrong) on the label xD 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Now that we're on the topic. My  beer of choice for tonight:

5a4e5716-cacb-4057-ae3f-6d10f6a2b301.jpg

Fancy, pancy. 7 Euros for a six pack 0,33l :35_thinking:

Looks good...

My choice for tonight:

05576fca8a37770e.jpg

In my defence I would advise that I spent quite some time in Belgium in the Drongen/Ghent area and sometimes in the evening would join papa De Bruyne in his local where he would always refer to and offer me a 'Stein' so I got used to it.  Accept the above comments and the old references to the origin in Germany, but after a while  we 'immigrants'  tend to form local uses of speech without specific reference to origins -  On holiday I am often mistaken for a resident of the Ruhr due to my use of 'ne' during normal speech - and I have yet to hear Leroy use Eckball when he is asked to go to the flag to take a corner.  While the Germans loyal to the language have adopted Saturday and Sunday as Wochenende - even sometimes without the capital W - the French - in their usual style simply use Le Weekend. I always work on the principle that those of use who try to use another language as much as possible do it out of respect to those for whom it is their Heritage - I am starting another 0ver 50's course in basic German in September (already almost fully subscribed) and when I taught French to groups of young boys locally here (mainly Indian/Pakistani boys) they insisted on 45 minutes French and the last 15 for Urdu and Gujurati so Ich heisse became mira nam or marun name.  It  made the lessons easier as they accepted the respect for all four methods of speech equally.  Accept that we all err occasionally in each others language - the use of the f word in English is something I have never accepted but I know it is not regarded with the same disgust amongst my young German Students so rather than chastise it merely needs a slight 'tut' on hearing it.  Anyway it has almost become a sort of 'norm' on here and after 12 years I have got used to not bothering too much about it.   Service in restaurants in Spain, Italy and Portugal is better and sometimes fun when the locals realise you are trying and it breaks the 'ice' and starts up a respectful conversation.  As a final thought perhaps I should start using the f word more - particularly as an adjective to the noun Brexit!:censored:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEe47M0wafE

Archived