talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Non-League Thread

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Eco said:

I didn't know England was having bad weather, but I did see a hand full of games that were already postponed.

mate, England is notorious for shit weather even in the summer :D

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, Eco said:

Well I know that, but not shit enough to postpone football. xD

December/January you're guaranteed to get games postponed. 

Pretty sure there was a game postponed in August a couple years ago cos of a waterlogged pitch xD 

10 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Non-League Football in England suffers badly through the winter months and there’s always one side somewhere in the country left playing 5 games in 12 days or something equally as daft as that. 

Yeah - While I was listening to York vs Telford, it was snowing and the guy on the radio was praying to the football gods for them to be able to finish the match since York was up by 3 early.

AFC Fylde beat the leaders 6-0 at the weekend! they are having a fantastic season and with their game in hand tomorrow evening they could go into the play offs. They are such a good team to watch and have some very talented players. The club keeps growing and I can see them doing similar to the likes of Fleetwood slowly making their way up the leagues.

Their wiki history has been edited to say

"After winning this division, it then won the Northern League Premier Division in 2011–12 and the Conference North in 2012–13. They were again wound up in 2018, after manager Jon McCarthy spent all the budget at the pub."

xD

• Haha 1

My local non-league side Hayes and Yeading Utd are finally at the Skyex Stadium (originally Yeading FC's home stadium), I believe they moved in this season. Originally there were two clubs locally, one Hayes FC (ex players are Cyrill Regis, Les Ferdinand and Jason Roberts to name a few) and the other Yeading FC (notable ex player includes DJ Campbell and the club's stadium was used for the filming of Bend It Like Beckham, Yeading FC also played Newcastle Utd in the FA Cup 3rd round at Loftus Road in the early 2000s). Both were struggling financially and received decentish crowds for the division, the idea was a merge and the doubling up on crowds may help the club out but instead a load of Yeading FC supporters never came to support the team (the club moved to Hayes FC's ground first) and the last time I went to a match about 5 years ago which was about 5 years after the merge happened, the fans were still singing "we're Hayes, not Yeading, we'll kick your fucking head in xD).

Anyway to say the least the club didn't fare as expected, hit money problems again, fortunately still owned Yeading FC's old ground which had better potential for facilities so sold Hayes FC's ground to property developers and planned to upgrade the new ground to current standards as it fell well below. The old ground was demolished in 2011 and the club have moved back to it's home ground this season and have spent the last few years playing "at home" at Woking and Maidenhead.

The club hovered around Conference Prem/South for the first 8 years and after a couple of more relegations are now in the Evo-Stik League South (which apparently is split up into East and West???)

• Subscriber

Chester apparently need £50,000 to be saved, yet are due £55,000 from us in June through an installment on defender Sam Hughes that we signed off them in the summer.

While I hope we just let them have the money, I do worry that it's not actually helping solve the problem, and more just patching over it before it comes back again in future. Clubs who end up in these scenarios have something fundamentally wrong with them and giving them the money doesn't fix that. It's akin to giving someone homeless some money to spend and they go and buy alcohol.

But as stated, I hope we bring forward the payment and let them have it. We probably pay Kelechi Iheanacho that money in about 4 days and we're due to pay it to them anyway.

Would be a shame for them if they did end up resorting to selling their sell-on clause to us as I think that's the single best way a smaller club can make money nowadays. Their fans really rate him as well and he's having a good year in our youth team.

6 hours ago, Dan said:

Chester apparently need £50,000 to be saved, yet are due £55,000 from us in June through an installment on defender Sam Hughes that we signed off them in the summer.

While I hope we just let them have the money, I do worry that it's not actually helping solve the problem, and more just patching over it before it comes back again in future. Clubs who end up in these scenarios have something fundamentally wrong with them and giving them the money doesn't fix that. It's akin to giving someone homeless some money to spend and they go and buy alcohol.

But as stated, I hope we bring forward the payment and let them have it. We probably pay Kelechi Iheanacho that money in about 4 days and we're due to pay it to them anyway.

Would be a shame for them if they did end up resorting to selling their sell-on clause to us as I think that's the single best way a smaller club can make money nowadays. Their fans really rate him as well and he's having a good year in our youth team.

Really? That's your justification? Just pay it early and hope they learn.

Southend learned from the twenty grand debt that nearly put them out of business because of the public shame that John Terry was on seven times more a week.

23 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Really? That's your justification? Just pay it early and hope they learn.

Southend learned from the twenty grand debt that nearly put them out of business because of the public shame that John Terry was on seven times more a week.

What the fuck does John Terry’s wage have to do with Southend United? Terry played at the top of his game and in his prime was a multi-medal winning, highly respected footballer in Europe and therefore, justified his wages. 

Southend United used to regularly flout tax bills, then gain a winding-up order, only to pay the bill and subsequent fine once money had been sourced from directors, it was regular for them to do that for a few years. 

I’ve never understood the “[Player X] earns £250,000 a week whilst little old [Team Y] need £75,000 by the end of the month to survive, why doesn’t Premier League players stump up” argument, if that’s the argument you’re trying to make. Top players shouldn’t have to help clubs who have been mismanaged. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

What the fuck does John Terry’s wage have to do with Southend United? Terry played at the top of his game and in his prime was a multi-medal winning, highly respected footballer in Europe and therefore, justified his wages. 

Southend United used to regularly flout tax bills, then gain a winding-up order, only to pay the bill and subsequent fine once money had been sourced from directors, it was regular for them to do that for a few years. 

I’ve never understood the “[Player X] earns £250,000 a week whilst little old [Team Y] need £75,000 by the end of the month to survive, why doesn’t Premier League players stump up” argument, if that’s the argument you’re trying to make. Top players shouldn’t have to help clubs who have been mismanaged. 

It was an example that Paul Sturrock and others have used about the situation, and not for the reasons you've just ranted about. They were ashamed of the way the club was previously run when there's people in the same industry making a lot more money. It was a case of "we can't be in that situation again when this is happening a couple of league's above us". If Leicester pay off their debt early there' every chance Chester will develop that attitude.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

It was an example that Paul Sturrock and others have used about the situation, and not for the reasons you've just ranted about. They were ashamed of the way the club was previously run when there's people in the same industry making a lot more money. It was a case of "we can't be in that situation again when this is happening a couple of league's above us". If Leicester pay off their debt early there' every chance Chester will develop that attitude.

Don't let facts get in the way of a Smiley Culture rant 

https://twitter.com/HackneyWickFC/status/957555658399846401

Hackney Wick, a team founded in 2015 and 'merged' (basically they just took their place) with London Bari in the Essex Senior League in 2017, will play their home games next to the Olympic Stadium next season. Looks an interesting venue, I had a brief look at it when walking round the Olympic Stadium before West Ham v Leicester in November, I might get over for a game there next season.

Macclesfield Town's players have told Sky Sports News they have not been paid their January wages.

The Silkmen lead the race for a return to the EFL, sitting one point ahead of Aldershot Town at the top of the Vanarama National League with 15 games remaining.

Macclesfield's form has taken something of a nosedive since the turn of the year, with draws against struggling Solihull Moors and Torquay United, a 6-0 hammering at the hands of AFC Fylde and a first-round FA Trophy exit against FC Halifax Town.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Blair Turgott, formally of West Ham and Leyton Orient, has been at court today after being charged with 'fraud by false representation' for gambling £16,000 on some other poor fuckers credit card.

He’s not been charged for impersonating a Footballer, too? That’s a shock. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...