talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Non-League Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Really enjoying watching my local non-league team, AFC Fylde, this season. They have a new ground and lots of financial backing, and it is paying off with them 11 points clear at the top of the league. Top scorer Danny Rowe has over 40 goals already this season and their games are very entertaining. They got a valuable last minute equaliser to 2nd place Kidderminster at the weekend which pretty much sealed promotion bar a complete collapse. They can then test themselves in the conference next season.

• Administrator

Think the run of games and catching up on re-arranged games is taking its toll on the side, as expected.

Hate the in-game interviews with the managers though!

Imagine doing that with Mourinho - 'get the fuck outta my face, Geoff!' 

Just now, Romesh said:

Think the run of games and catching up on re-arranged games is taking its toll on the side, as expected.

Hate the in-game interviews with the managers though!

Imagine doing that with Mourinho - 'get the fuck outta my face, Geoff!' 

Yeah and probably the increased expectation will be hindering them a bit too.

Only had it on a couple of minutes so didn't see an in-game interview but have seen them before, it's something different but they'd be a bit annoying if you were a manager.

The Non-League Thread will be sponsored by Francesco Becchetti in 2017/18.

If Becchetti is still at the club, I won't be buying a season ticket, I and many others have already stopped spending any money at the club on matchdays, and others won't be buying a season ticket from what people have said. I'll attend a few away games next season and will try to follow the Orient Youth Team when they're at home. Otherwise, I'll probably pick and choose a few games of non-league football at various levels when I fancy watching a game.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to my first non-league away game yesterday - Halifax v AFC Fylde. Massive result for Fylde, winning 1-0, which means they are 6 points clear at the top with just 3 games left. A win at home on Monday and they will pretty much be champions regardless of the Kidderminster result as their goal difference is very good. Danny Rowe scored his 44th league goal, just the 22 ahead of second place in the goalscoring charts! 

• Administrator

Lincoln play Macclesfield live on BT Sport, kick-off 12.15pm.

Win and they're back in the Football League.

Draw and they need Tranmere to draw/lose later on against Southport, who are bottom of the league. However, Southport did beat Forest Green in 3rd last week...

Dulwich Hamlet lost in the Isthmian play-off final… for the second season in a row (last season they lost it to East Thurrock; in the 14/15 season Dulwich lost in the semis to overall winners Margate). But congratulations have to go to winners Bognor Regis, who will battle it out in the Conference South next season. 

Final result: 2-1 to Bognor Regis, who it seems were the better team on the day, and were probably a better team all season (finishing 2nd in the table overall with 92 points; 2 points behind league winners Havant & Waterlooville).

Hamlet might also be in for a tough summer, since budget cuts from the owners might result in long-term (and consistent) manager Gavin Rose walking away from the club. 

I used to live in Dulwich, hence my interest of them in the lower divisions. And it’s true, Dulwich Hamlet do get a decent following at Champion Hill. But is being a ‘hipster’ club a bad thing? If folk are helping a non-league club keep afloat by coming through the turnstiles, then that’s good for the game, surely. 

14 minutes ago, Storts said:

Going to be an experience, been ages since we've been at that level

And with the problems that have gone on this season, it's not going to be a quick return. That's presuming it's the Ryman and not the Southern League. 

I'm quite excited about the Harlow games though. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

And with the problems that have gone on this season, it's not going to be a quick return. That's presuming it's the Ryman and not the Southern League. 

I'm quite excited about the Harlow games though. 

That's very true - think it may be a struggle again, everything still so up in the air. Fingers crossed for the Ryman. Harlow games would be fun