talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Non-League Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

We've signed Shaun Pearson back from Wrexham as our first signing of the summer. Glad to have him back as he's a sold defender and knows the league having played there with and captained Wrexham over the last few seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Fixtures for the National League have just been released. Trying to get to a few more away games this year and Halifax is pretty close to where I'm living now so that's promising.

The very early rounds of the FA Cup preliminary rounds have been released this afternoon. I am actually around and free for both the first two rounds and there’s a couple of local games to me and now I’m half tempted to see how many rounds in I get before I can’t a ticket somewhere. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Starting to get a lot of our fixtures rearranged now due to either BT Sport, safety reasons or just to simply inconvenience our fans. A couple moved to Friday nights and another couple with moved kick off times for BT Sport.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Surprised at some of these. The Grimsby ones are correct but are reduced for season ticket holders from the last two seasons so that price is for completely new season ticket holders. It's amazing how high some of the other teams are like Kings Lynn.

• 3 weeks later...

We beat Tonbridge Angels 5-1 yesterday, we were 4 nil up after 25 minutes. Dominic Poleon (formerly of Leeds) scored a first-half hat-trick. 

I've rarely seen us play such attacking football. we played the standard 4-4-2 with Chris Solly and Sido Jombati at centre half, but Jombati was allowed to roam up field with the enthusiasm and freedom of a right/wing back. Quite a bold strategy as it left Solly as the single defender back defending, but thrilling to watch. 

I watched Harlow beat Hertford 2-1. The reverse fixture was the last competitive game I saw prior to last seasons non-league season being cancelled and both sides then were very youthful and both looked like they’d struggle. Harlow now have 5/6 more experienced heads whereas Hertford still look very young and will struggle against experienced sides. That said, it could have quite easily ended 4-2 on another day as Hertford had a penalty saved, hit the post twice and were in the ascendancy in the second half. 

• Subscriber

Really excited for our season to start. We won't be tearing up the league but the players we have and Paul Hurst's record with us in non-league mixed in with our great new owners, gives me a little bit more optimism than usual.

58 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Really excited for our season to start. We won't be tearing up the league but the players we have and Paul Hurst's record with us in non-league mixed in with our great new owners, gives me a little bit more optimism than usual.

You going to Bromley on Saturday? I might have gone if it was a 3pm kick off. 

• Subscriber

Can't find the tweet now but some absolute clown on Twitter was having a go at Grimsby fans saying we're 18th in the National League. It's because we've not played a game! :D And he was being serious, not even trolling.

My mate, Mambwe Chilufya, plays for Kendal Town now at left back and scored against Morecambe the other week(who are now in League 1), fair play to him. He's 27 but always played for your local pub like teams so he's done quite well to make the step up to non league and then score on his debut(albeit being a friendly) against a football league side.

• Upvote 1

On 19/08/2021 at 09:50, Ploughendplonker said:

Our game at Chippenham also postponed for the same reason. Had already purchased train tickets as well. Utterly farcical. They may as well call the season off now to be honest. 

Who do you support?