talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Non-League Thread

Also worth noting the FA are still considering two (anonymous as far as I can tell) applications - one of which is belived to be from the Bury FC. Will all be finalised once the play offs are concluded in a couple of weeks.

Following on from the success of us, Harrogate Town are now through to the National League playoff final at Wembley. We've always had a nice affiliation with them.

Good on them. Hope they can do it. They'll play either Barnet or Notts County in the final.

Edited by Lucas

... and just down the road York City, who were top when football was suspended back in March but fell to second on PPG, lost to a very decent looking Altrincham side in the Conference North Play Off Semi Finals. Could well be the last ever match at the magnificent Bootham Crescent as well. Guy Mowbray (a York fan) was doing the commentary and he sounded gutted at the end. Had a shocking decade and apparently only three players (including two keepers) are contracted for the new season.

Alty meet the winners of Boston United or Gateshead, who are playing and now and I'm watching that as well. If Boston lose, like at York it will probably also be the last ever game at their ground, another proper old school ground too.

30 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Following on from the success of us, Harrogate Town are now through to the National League playoff final at Wembley. We've always had a nice affiliation with them.

Good on them. Hope they can do it. They'll play either Barnet or Notts County in the final.

On 11/06/2019 at 23:40, tlr said:

Decent little project Harrogate have going on at the moment though, they managed to slip under the radar last season because of the Salford love in, but are building to be a serious force to be reckoned with I think. 

Just posting this so I can preserve what could be the only accurate football prediction I've ever made xD

Chuffed for Harrogate. What an achievement. First time in their 106 year history to enter the Football League, it's just brilliant for them.

To think, they now gone from playing regular games against Bradford Park avenue to now playing Bradford City.

Brilliant.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

To think, they now gone from playing regular games against Bradford Park avenue to now playing Bradford City.

Nice. Didn't even clock that! Is Harrogate that far from Bradford/Leeds?

31 minutes ago, Stan said:

Nice. Didn't even clock that! Is Harrogate that far from Bradford/Leeds?

Harrogate is about half hour from Leeds, and about 40mins from Bradford. So it will be a nice little derby for them even if there is no history.

For them, just playing Bradford will be great. I'd love to see them turn them over.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a meeting tonight apparently between the FA and leagues at a certain level of the pyramid which is hopefully going to confirm one way or another which of the 'September start with fans', originally hinted by the FA and the government's 'fans not back until October' stances will prevail. The consensus is that restarting without fans send dozens of clubs to the wall, but if it is October then it's nye on impossible to complete the season... There's a whole swathe of FA competitions in September for starters.

Of all clubs, Dorking Wanderers are leading the #LetFansIn charge on social media, respect to them for actually trying to organise sustained pressure on the FA and DCMS over this. For non league it has been a shambles from start to end so far, not that we should expect owt less from the FA or Boris's mob.

Edited by tlr

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

You mean I won’t have to climb a tree to watch an FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round game on a Tuesday night? xD

Well, technically, you still can... xD 

Fans can return then, which is good news. There’s a cap on how many can attend. It’s 15% of the minimum capacity for each level, so the Southern/Northern/Isthmian is 300, the level below that 200 and the two levels below that 150. 

I was expecting to have to watch more non-league this coming season, what with not being a season ticket holder or paid member anywhere, which is fine, I’ll have to look at a few places nearby that I’ve not been to and go to them. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Stan said:

Ross McCormack has signed for Aldershot

His career has been heading one way for a while now, ever since the move to Aston Villa. Unfortunately he has has all sorts of personal issues, some self inflicted, some out of his hands, that has really limited his pitch time.

It will be interesting to see if he has the motivation to play a whole season at this level.

He was nothing but good for us so I'd like to see him have a good season anyway.