talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Non-League Thread

6 hours ago, Lucas said:

His career has been heading one way for a while now, ever since the move to Aston Villa. Unfortunately he has has all sorts of personal issues, some self inflicted, some out of his hands, that has really limited his pitch time.

It will be interesting to see if he has the motivation to play a whole season at this level.

He was nothing but good for us so I'd like to see him have a good season anyway.

Pretty much echo this for us as well. Formed a ridiculous attack with Chopra and Bothroyd as well at the time. 

The FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round is drawn today. Normally, that’s a fairly inconsequential day. However, this is the round where National League North and South teams join the competition and those levels aren’t allowed fans in to their games, so what happens now is unknown. Forcing these clubs to play behind closed doors is pointless, they may, without financial remuneration from The FA or government, cancel their season. It’s all up in the air. 

Either way, I’m hoping to get to an FA Cup game when they’re played next weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hertford Town 1-0 Harlow Town - Isthmian Division One South Central

Have you watched the Only Fools and Horses where they go on a “Jolly Boys Outing” to Margate? Of course you have. Unbridled joy and entertainment for the hour and a bit that it’s on your screen. It almost makes you want to go on a Jolly Boys Outing to a crap seaside town in the UK, doesn’t it? 

Alan Parry going on it, much to the disdain of his wife, Denzil’s “disease”, Trigger making all the sandwiches despite Sid having a cafe, Uncle Albert inadvertently smashing Sid’s escape boat from a Greek Island during the War, Mike meeting his old mate, “Ruud Gullit, nowhere” and then Rodney twatting a ball off a copper’s head and then...the bus exploding. Comedy gold. And that’s before they’ve even got to Margate. 

Then the scenes on the rollercoasters and other rides at the seaside. A load of blokes enjoying themselves like they’re children. It’s something we all do. Then Del, Albert and Rodney having to stay at the Villa Bella and Del’s attempts to get Rodney out for a few drinks, it works and they end up watching Raymond-o the Magician and Raquel before getting locked out of their hotel and having to go to Raquel’s. It’s a televisual masterpiece. 

If you’ve made it this far and are wondering why I’m talking about Only Fools and Horses instead of Hertford Town v Harlow Town, it’s because I went to the game yesterday and I thought I’d talk about something more interesting than the game of Football I paid to watch. 

Now, I didn’t expect the standard of the eighth tier of football to be particularly high but this was two very poor teams with very little attacking threat between them. The fact the game was settled by a goal from the penalty spot sums that up, I think. Barring a shot that hit the crossbar from Hertford, the only other two bits of goalmouth action were a disallowed goal for Harlow, which was well offside and the home team keeper coming out to collect a high ball and wiping out Harlow’s utterly woeful striker and his centre back, who he put to sleep. 

Nice little ground though, surrounded by trees and you can see a train viaduct so it was, at times, more fun watching a train pass than the football on offer. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Dover Athletic: National League club places entire staff on furlough as the season continues

Dover Athletic have placed their management, players, and staff on furlough despite the National League season continuing.

They will play no fixtures until "appropriate funding" is available.

Club chairman Jim Parmenter has funded Dover since government grants ended in December, but said financial reserves are now exhausted.

"We are operating in unprecedented times. We have to make difficult decisions," he said.

"We wanted to leave the decision that has been made as long as possible before making this final announcement in the hope a support package may appear.

"Unfortunately no support has been forthcoming, so it is with the deepest regret that the club must now furlough all staff and players and reduce operations to a bare minimum."

National League clubs were told grants would be replaced by loans from January.

Parmenter told BBC Radio Kent on Wednesday that the club had "run out of money" and warned they would only continue with fresh grant funding as "small clubs like Dover just can't afford to take large loans".

League officials have pledged to publish the results of resolutions on how the season will be resolved following last month's vote by National League clubs.

Last August, Dover's 14 contracted players were made available on free transfers in a bid to cut costs and ease financial pressures caused by the pandemic.

The Kent club have sent their three loan players - Harry Ransom (Millwall), Ryan Hanson (Hull City), and Oliver Webber (Crystal Palace) - back to their parent clubs.

"For 15 years, I have run the club without debt and I do not intend to change that now," Parmenter added.

Dover are second from bottom of the National League having only played 15 games this season - the fewest in the division - and have not played since 30 January.

They were scheduled to face Sutton United on Tuesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56061802

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

There's now talk of North and South resuming but merged together for those that want to complete the season.

It’s a proper basket case at that level and the National League. I’ll be surprised if someone doesn’t go bust in that National League. 

Much further down, the Essex Senior League is going to run a competition during April and May for clubs, so I may have football to watch live, should crowds be allowed. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Dover Athletic: National League club hit with fine, points deduction and results expunged

Dover Athletic will play no further part in the National League this term with their results expunged after failing to meet fixture obligations from 16-27 February.

The National League club have also been issued a 12-point deduction for the 2021-2022 season and fined £40,000.

The club, which has the right to appeal, placed all management, players and staff on furlough on 14 February.

An independent panel charged 18 clubs for alleged breaches of league rules.

Dover, who have not played a fixture since 30 January, were one of seven clubs to vote to stop the season in mid-February.

FULL REPORT

• Subscriber
  • Subscriber
54 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Bloody hell, only 32 years old, our thoughts go out to all the loved ones he left behind, R.I.P. Lee.

Edited by CaaC (John)

• Administrator
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Right so who else do we have that supports non-league teams? 

I watched two Harlow Town games this season, before it was curtailed. They were bottom of the 8th tier when the season was ended and were free falling to county level football. I’ll probably do a few of their games again next season, because it’ll be easy if there’s still restrictions on crowds.

I’ll also, hopefully, just be able to get to league football in places next season. 

• Subscriber

Looking forward to getting to a few more games next season too. Now I'm living in Leeds, I'm a bit more central in terms of being able to travel to more matches. Hoping Halifax don't get promoted just so I've got one pretty close by!

• Subscriber

Sad, R.I.P. James

James Dean: Missing 'goal machine' footballer found dead

download.thumb.png.c7078d15a7cc6879944d7c55b73d0138.png

An ex-footballer, whose body has been found four days after he went missing, was a "gentle giant" and a "goal machine", his teammates have said.

James Dean, who played for a number of clubs including Stalybridge Celtic, Chorley and FC Halifax Town, was last seen in Oswaldtwistle on Wednesday.

Lancashire Police said his death was "not being treated as suspicious".

Ex-Blackburn Rovers star Matt Jansen, who played with the 35-year-old at Chorley, said he was "devastated".

Paying tribute on Twitter, former Halifax captain Danny Lowe said he had been a "big gentle giant" and a "goal machine", while former strike partner Jansen added that he had been "such a great guy".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-57055578

• 2 weeks later...

The league allocations for Step 3-6 have been released this afternoon. Step 3 has not changed at all, whereas Step 4 has expanded and now covers eight divisions rather than seven. 

My local side Harlow are now in the Southern League Central, having moved across from the Isthmian South Central. I’m sure 70% of the places in their new league are completely made up.