football forum

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
4 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Be arsed with a 28 minute video. Have you watched it and if so do you care to summarise the key points? Not sure whether to invest in this edition but I am tempted.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Be arsed with a 28 minute video. Have you watched it and if so do you care to summarise the key points? Not sure whether to invest in this edition but I am tempted.

Not brought it yet, I skimmed through the videos, there are shorter ones on youtube. It is better then last years, steady improvements on the visuals via the textures and general lightening in the game. You also have F2, something completely new. 

Personaly I buy it 2 months after release, you can save up to £12, generally though this game retains value really well, even after a newer version is released, the older one can be sold on for a decent price. 

• Subscriber

The game is out. Between F2 and the introduction of AI driver transfers in the Career mode I'm seriously tempted by this edition. However, I'm holding fire for now as the transfer system seems a bit broken e.g. Hamilton moving to Renault in the middle of the first season while leading the championship. Hopefully they give it a patch and get rid of that stuff because stupid transfers like that would really break my immersion. Imagine fighting Vettel for the title for 12 races then he suddenly transfers to Haas and the challenge completely disappears.

• Subscriber
On 28/06/2019 at 20:35, RandoEFC said:

The game is out. Between F2 and the introduction of AI driver transfers in the Career mode I'm seriously tempted by this edition. However, I'm holding fire for now as the transfer system seems a bit broken e.g. Hamilton moving to Renault in the middle of the first season while leading the championship. Hopefully they give it a patch and get rid of that stuff because stupid transfers like that would really break my immersion. Imagine fighting Vettel for the title for 12 races then he suddenly transfers to Haas and the challenge completely disappears.

Hold up, you saying other drivers move around? I never knew this.

• Subscriber
On 28/06/2019 at 20:35, RandoEFC said:

Just checked drivers moves out, Codemasters get it a secret for some reason.

Oh Codemasters.

Oh driver Transfers.

• Subscriber

Downloaded the game last night. Going to wait for a patch before I get stuck into career mode so I've started a full F2 2018 season. Won the first feature race at Bahrain from pole position. Got the difficulty right as I was only 0.15s ahead of Norris in qualifying and he ended up 3 seconds behind me at the end of the race. Tyre management was tricky though that's always been my weakness on these games.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Downloaded the game last night. Going to wait for a patch before I get stuck into career mode so I've started a full F2 2018 season. Won the first feature race at Bahrain from pole position. Got the difficulty right as I was only 0.15s ahead of Norris in qualifying and he ended up 3 seconds behind me at the end of the race. Tyre management was tricky though that's always been my weakness on these games.

What you mean 2018? Are we talking about F1 2019? If so what is Norris doing in F2? Have 8rdered it, is coming in the morning.

• Subscriber
Just now, MUFC said:

What you mean 2018? Are we talking about F1 2019? If so what is Norris doing in F2? Have 8rdered it, is coming in the morning.

The current F2 championship on there has last years teams and drivers for some reason, it's a separate mode. They're releasing a patch very soon to update it to the 2019 field.

• Subscriber

I'm not a fan of the excessive mid season transfers that seem to be prevalent in career mode. Toro Rosso to Red Bull is okay but I've seen Stroll joining Ferrari today on reddit, as well as other shit like Hamilton moving to Renault mid season while leading the championship. I'm going to finish off my full F2 season and hopefully they've done a little patch by then and I can get stuck into career mode properly.

I also like the look of the different championships you can play in solo mode.

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

In all honesty, I'll probably end up rebooting career mode from scratch once all the patches are in. 

Nobody has moved on mine yet, with the exception of Gasly but we'll see. I must admit it's dissapointing how bad they've made Toro Rosso in the game, they are literally on par with Williams and behind everyone else. 

Yeah apparently the performance levels are still based on last season but they'll update it in the patch which is due in the next week or two.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

90 was spot on for me in Bahrain, Spain, Azerbaijan. Had to go to 80 for Monaco.

I got to around 95 last year, but I don't change the level once I get going. There again for Monaco I need to move it down to 10 lol.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I got to around 95 last year, but I don't change the level once I get going. There again for Monaco I need to move it down to 10 lol.

I've found in previous versions that it varies wildly between each track but not so much this version (so far).

Just done qualifying for France and had to ramp it up to 95 to make it competitive.

• Subscriber

Bit of a write-up on my first half of a Formula 2 season. I was disappointed you can't play a full F2 season as part of your career so I'm doing one myself, driving as Sean Gelael, but plan to let my success in this season determine how well I 'let myself do' in the three F2 career events. Playing 100% race distance with an AI difficulty of 80 (Monaco), 90 (Bahrain, Azerbaijan, Spain) or 95 (France, Austria). The idea is to choose a difficulty level where, if I drive a perfect lap (for me) in qualifying, I'll just about sneak pole position.

Round 1: Bahrain

Qualifying: Pole Position

Feature Race: This was a relatively straightforward opening race. I had the pace to win comfortably but did struggle with tyre degradation enough that it wasn't comfortable until the very end. First 25 points in the bag. 1st.

Sprint Race: Followed the team's advice in planning a one-stop strategy, despite the general rule in sprint race, unbeknownst to me, being to go without any stops. Things got worse when the safety car came out and the team suggested switching to a 3-stop strategy instead of just pitting early, don't know why, but I obviously didn't take it. Then the safety car stayed out for ages, some of the guys left in front of me weren't stopping at all and the other guys who were taking a pit stop had already got it done under the safety car. After I stopped I was second from last but didn't get a sniff of a point from there. 15th.

Round 2: Azerbaijan

Qualifying: 16th

Feature Race: Having been overzealous in the difficulty level increasing it to 95 for qualifying, which contributed to my awful grid position along with a sloppy performance anyway on my part, I reduced the difficulty back to 90 and survived the tricky, fast street circuit for the duration of the feature race, which is an achievement in itself given my history in Baku. I was faster than anyone through the kinks leading onto the back straight and combined this with DRS to good effect to fight back and grab some points. 8th.

Sprint Race: With a much better feel for the track, I fancied my chances of converting my 1st position on the grid due to the F2 'reverse grid' format for the top eight cars in the sprint race. It was a tricky one and my team-mate Nyck De Vries was my closest competition for most of the race. I learnt from Bahrain to take the 0-stop strategy approach this time and managed to lead from lights to flag. Again, this was never comfortably as the greatest gap I enjoyed at any point in the race was barely over 3 seconds. 1st.

Round 3: Spain

Qualifying: Pole Position

Feature Race: My hard-fought pole position didn't translate into the race lead after a poor start saw me drop to 4th place. I was unable to make any headway in the opening phase of the race before the safety car was called out around 8 laps in. My team didn't call me in to get our mandatory pit stop out of the way so my heart sank when I realised everyone apart from myself and backmarker Nico Kari had opted to stay out. Thankfully, it turned out that the rest of the field had converted to a 2-stop strategy, meaning that I was the net leader, albeit on degraded tyres. Kari's presence in 2nd place at the restart proved to be decisive for me, as he held De Vries and co behind him while I built a 7-second advantage before my stop. On fresh tyres, I posted enough quick times to ensure that I was back in the lead once my rivals made their second stops, and while Lando Norris was chasing me down on fresher rubber later on in the race, I was able to hold on to a rewarding victory. 1st.

Sprint Race: Starting in 8th place, I was caught up in an opening lap scrap on the outside of turn four, got a wheel just slightly on the grass and spun around, falling to last place. It was a difficult fightback for the rest of the race, and I just missed out on scraping a point as Latifi was able to keep me behind on my very worn tyres for the last few laps. 9th.

Round 4: Monaco

Qualifying: 2nd

Feature Race: Monaco is my greatest nemesis in any Formula 1 game, so you can imagine my delight when I was fastest in qualifying, less than a tenth of a second ahead of my closest title rival Norris, only to discover that F2 Monaco qualifying runs in two separate groups, and that George Russell pipped me to pole position in the other group. We maintained position at the start, and I matched Russell stride for stride in the opening laps, while the rest of the field, tucked up behind Sette Camara, were slowly dropping back. Around lap 12, I got on the throttle too early leaving the Loews Hairpin and clipped my front wing on the barriers. While it wasn't bad enough to require an emergency pit stop, the loss of pace allowed Russell to cruise out of sight and the wing change made at my scheduled pit stop saw me drop to 8th, right in the midst of the Sette Camara train. As is usually the case at Monaco, I was unable to get close to passing Markelov in front of me so had to settle for the achievement of (mostly) negotiating 42 laps of Monte Carlo without serious incident. 8th.

Sprint Race: For the second time, a mediocre finish in the Feature Race puts me on pole position for a street circuit's Sprint Race. Markelov started 2nd and kept good pace with me, more than I expected, meaning that this was a tricky race as I was watching the barriers flash past me while keeping an eye on whether or not I'd managed to add another tenth of a second to my slender advantage over the Russian. My team tried to call me into the pits for a tyre change but naturally, I ignored this utterly ridiculous strategy call and held on to take victory. This time a truly successful 30-lap run of the street circuit without even damaging a front-wing end-plate. 1st.

Round 5: France

Qualifying: 1st

Feature Race: I ended up really enjoying this track, which I've never driven in a game before and can initially be quite a pain to get used to. The feature race was exciting after a close qualifying session, and George Russell was all over me in the opening laps before he used DRS to get past me on lap 5. He didn't pull away though for whatever reason and I took advantage of a mistake by him to retake the lead at the same point of the track two laps later. Russell then developed a minor mechanical problem and dropped behind Norris ahead of the pit-stop window, where I managed to stretch the lead out to 3.5 seconds by coming in a lap early than the two British drivers. Out comes the safety car then, and after the restart I have to fight off an attack from Norris who get side-by-side on the back straight but couldn't quite make it stick. Once the race settled back down, I was faster than the rest of the field on the Medium tyres and was able to bring it home without further drama. 1st.

Sprint Race: The downside of Sprint Races in F2 is that sometimes you get two slow guys at the front who finished 7th and 8th in the Feature Race. This leads to the 1st guy being slow, the 2nd guy being unable to overtake him even with DRS, and the 3rd guy being unable to take advantage of DRS to pass the 2nd guy because he also has DRS. This continues down the field until the first 6-8 cars are all following each other in a massive train, and if you're a part of that train, it's fucking infuriating because you have to pull off made overtaking moves in strange parts of the track to get anything done. The AI are aggressive bastards when they defend but they aren't prone to slinging one up the inside, which makes this situation worse. Anyway, I pulled off some cheeky overtakes on the outside of turn three and simply by out-dragging guys out of the last corner, but I also ended up running wide on three occasions, losing a position each time, because I was so much faster going into a corner than the driver in front of me, cruising at the Maini/Markelov-controlled pace, that I had to take avoiding action. After bumping wheels with Albon, making a slightly controversial, didn't quite stay on the track, pass on the outside of George Russell at turn three, and forcing my team-mate off the track at turn two, ruining his chance of a podium, I managed to at least join Markelov and Maini on the rostrum myself, knowing that with a bit more care at key moments, I had the pace to take another victory. 3rd.

Round 6: Austria

Qualifying: 1st

Feature Race: I wasn't quite sure how to set the difficulty here after a dry-wet-dry practice sessions ruined any opportunity to compare my times with the rest of the field, so I was relieved to have to throw the car around to beat Albon to pole by 0.2 seconds. The Feature Race was a full wet race, and I didn't start well, running slightly wide at the first corner and allowing Albon into the lead. The two of us were comfortably faster than the rest of the field and I spent most of the race within a second of him or slightly more. Without DRS though, and struggling compared to Albon in the traction zones, I wasn't able to get a good run on him into any of the big braking zones, and had to settle for 2nd place after we also pitted on the same lap in the middle of the race. Norris had a woeful day, dropping from 9th on the grid to 14th at the end of the race, making this a great day in the championship battle for us. 2nd.

Sprint Race: This was just like the French Sprint Race, with Gunther and Markelov messing around in the first two positions and holding up all of the other drivers who were for some reason incapable of passing. Thankfully, it's a lot easier to find overtaking spots in Austria than France, so I was able to pick my way through the field, including a pass on Albon at last, finally picking off Gunther on lap 22 out of 28. A comfortable final few laps and 9th place for Norris means that I have over 50 points in my pocket ahead of him heading into the second half of the season. 1st.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Love charging the battery up and saving some fuel during a race. When there a few cars ahead, new lap starts on the straight. Crank fuel mode up to max and battery to overtake for most of the lap. All this with DRS allows a few overtakes, if you manage the ERS well during the race. You really can hunt quicker cars down over a few laps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Say F1 on PS4, what's the best race you've all had? On F1 2017 in Canada on the full wets. Was 3rd after tge first 6 laps, when there was 10 laps to go the 2 cars ahead were fighting each other but still I couldn' get close but stayed with 1.5 seconds.

Second to last lap, they got close and kind of, lost control but stayed on track, managed to go around tge outside of tgem both and went on to win the race.

Archived