talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

41 killed on Aeroflot Jet In Moscow

football forum

• Subscriber

I read this a few hours ago and the report said it landed, passengers were evacuated and only reported 1 dead, now we hear this, Jesus.

225420842_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.ba48da56a24ba7cab9920f02430c0c2e.png

At least 41 people were killed after a Russian plane made an emergency landing and burst into flames at Sheremetyevo airport in Moscow.

Videos on social media show passengers using emergency exit slides to escape the burning Aeroflot aircraft.

Two children and a flight attendant were among the dead, Russian media reports.

One witness said it was a "miracle" anyone escaped the jet, which was carrying 78 passengers and five crew.

Aeroflot, Russia's national carrier, said the plane was forced to return to the airport "for technical reasons", but did not elaborate.........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48171392

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the emergency landing is what went wrong after the initial technical problems due to lighting strike? Pilot at fault? He hit the ground hard three times which lead to the fuel tank exploding? 

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So the emergency landing is what went wrong after the initial technical problems due to lighting strike? Pilot at fault? He hit the ground hard three times which lead to the fuel tank exploding? 

So many theories being quoted but we won't really know what actually happened until the Air Crash Investigation Team piece together the puzzle and come up with an answer.

1333480598_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.acf12a01fb4b3ba8a9f8af3cafad1757.png

Survivors suggest the plane was struck by lightning, but Russia's national carrier said only that it returned to the airport for technical reasons.

Initial reports suggested the plane had landed on fire, but sources quoted by Russian news agency Interfax said the jet caught fire after a very bumpy landing.

The aircraft landed with full fuel tanks because the crew lost contact with air traffic controllers and decided it was too dangerous to dump fuel over Moscow, Interfax added.

Its crew sent a distress signal when "malfunctions" occurred in bad weather shortly after take-off.

After making an emergency landing at the airport, the plane's engines caught fire on the runway, Aeroflot said, adding that the crew "did everything to save the passengers".

One passenger who survived the crash, Petr Egorov, was quoted by the Komsomolskaya Pravda daily newspaper as saying that the flight "had just taken off and the aircraft was hit by lightning", adding: "The landing was rough - I almost passed out from fear."

_106807518_moscow_plane640-nc.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48171392

• Subscriber
58 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Wouldn't blame the pilot without proper investigation; hard emergency (crash) landing is always going to be very risky; especially with lost controllability and comms... 

Apparently many of the casualties could have been avoided if the passengers obeyed the crew instructions and didn't try to get their carry on bags instead of just getting off the burning plane as fast as possible.

RIP.

• Administrator

Damn. There's a rumour it was struck by lightning which may have scrambled the onboard equipment causing the landing gears to fail. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Batard said:

Damn. There's a rumour it was struck by lightning which may have scrambled the onboard equipment causing the landing gears to fail. 

Not going to show the Videos in the link, it just makes me shudder to think people died in the crash and fireball. 

644991895_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.86216f73b86253ea27f5020b340b36e8.png

Aeroflot plane crash: Russia jet 'struck by lightning'

Passengers and crew on board a jet that was forced to make an emergency landing at a Moscow airport say it was struck by lightning moments before it crashed.

Reports of the strike came as survivors told how they escaped the Aeroflot jet which burst into flames on landing at Sheremetyevo airport on Sunday.

Forty-one of the 78 people on board were killed in the accident.

Investigators probing the cause of the crash have made no official comment on the claims it was hit by lightning.

Modern aircraft are built to withstand lightning strikes, and Russia's national carrier has said only that the plane returned to the airport for "technical reasons".

However, passengers said the plane, which was heading for the northern Russian city of Murmansk, was struck just after take-off.

Some of the five crew members also said lightning appeared to be responsible for a loss of communication with air traffic control.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48174169

4 hours ago, Batard said:

Aren't planes usually built to withstand lighting strikes though? :35_thinking:

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Correct. Like a Faraday cage, but if there was already a fault with the plane ... 

2 minutes ago, Batard said:

Correct. Like a Faraday cage, but if there was already a fault with the plane ... 

I'm flying in 2 1/2 weeks, so I'm just trying to find reasons to calm myself :4_joy: But I'm not overly worried. Russia is not exactly Germany when it comes to safety regulations. 

• Subscriber
58 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I'm flying in 2 1/2 weeks, so I'm just trying to find reasons to calm myself :4_joy: But I'm not overly worried. Russia is not exactly Germany when it comes to safety regulations. 

Same here (well not exactly in 2 1/2 weeks but anyway...); and I just don't like flying commercial planes in general... 

To be fair to Aeroflot though they had been commended for a great safety record as they only had one fatal accident in the last two decades before this one... Shit unfortunately happens and it can happen anytime. It's pointless to worry really.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

You're more likely to die riding a donkey than you are to die on a plane, so don't worry about it too much.

• Subscriber
On 06/05/2019 at 19:34, Tommy said:

They are but there will be questions asked again about this in the investigation, before I retired from work we had LPP's (Lightning Pick-Up Points) installed on the roof of the building like a lot of others have, this is a long tall aerial that will pick up any strike of our 7-floor building and travell through the building via a tube and the outlet would be in our basement level, we had to get this serviced or checked once a year as per Health & Safety Laws, lighting always strikes at the highest point.

14548339045_1ee6656ef8_k.jpg

343996564_download(2).thumb.png.c9b2f4da074101c8da803ad0b60eb55c.png

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-happens-when-lightni/

18 hours ago, Tommy said:

Aeroplane regulations are more or less the same round the world. There's no reason to fear flying in Russia any more than there is Germany*. What can change is weather, while lightning strikes are not usually going to down a plane they will usually cause a lot of damage to the aircraft which makes landing more difficult, which is probably what we've seen here. Weather is also a common factor in crashes in South East Asia, it's nothing to do with looser regulations or laws, it's just that you get more frequent maelstroms of weather, which combined with a naïve pilot, can have horrific consequences.

*especially given it was a German pilot who deciced to end the lives of hundreds of people for no reason at all, deliberate murder. Should we all be fearful of German pilots?

• Administrator
On 06/05/2019 at 19:43, Tommy said:

Think of all the hundreds of thousands of flights that happen around the world each day, or millions each year and weigh that up against the tragedies or crashes that happen. The former far outweighs the latter. 

Who are you flying with? 

Archived