The better place to talk football.

Running

football forum

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

i've thought about it.

then i've thought about all the crap food and drink I'll miss out on having while training. 

I've seen a lot of people run marathons who don't look like they have missed out on crap food :ph34r:

I've always been put off with how long distance running can give you a bag of bones body like Mo Farah.

8 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

London marathon this weekend. Has anyone done one or thought of doing one?

I have ran over 15 marathons. Dream is to run Boston one day. Started when I was in High School here in Atlanta, and now I've done one in 6 states. 

It's never been something that's really interested me, but I do have a lot of respect for those that aren't in a good shape physically but do it to raise money.

I like watching it on the TV too.

I can run. I just suffer mentally haha I get too bored. Did a 10km one in Japan, wanting to hit under 50 min but just missed my target there due to a few things.

Going to sign up for a half marathon in a few months. 

It's always interested me, as has completing a triathlon, but to do it is have to sacrifice something such as going to gym to fit the training in to my schedule. Which would lead me to being paranoid about my body strength and weight.

Plus I'm of a weird personality where if I completed it I would be more annoyed about the time I got thinking "if I didn't miss that week training" or "if I started training earlier" I would have got a better time.

Those are the things that have always put me off doing it. 

It is a complete sacrifice, I trained for the London Marathon but injured my knee so couldn't do it. You're running 6/7 days a week, alone, up and down hills, in the rain, in the freezing cold, feels like every night you're just pushing your body and your mind.

I didn't even get that far into it which was the worst thing, I made I think about 7-8 mile mark, probably hit an average of running 5-6 miles every day but as it went on I'd do a run and my knee would just be in agony, running through pain and then I'd barely be able to walk on it for three days so had to stop training.

I was proud of my effort because it was the fittest I'd ever been, continuous running everyday, 5 mile run after work, before a night out on the piss, on a hangover. Just got it done. Nowadays I run 2 miles and I'm blowing.

You should NEVER run 6-7 days a week. Not even on a treadmill. Run 2-3 times a week max, practice good form and don't be afraid to give a day a miss if a joint aches.

Running 5 days a week is exactly how you get a fucked up knee, shin splints or a piece of floating bone in the foot.

Personally I run a weekly 5km timed run on Saturdays, aiming for speed. A 10km run at my own pace over a reasonably flat area (probably only 200m elevation over the 10km) on Mondays, and play a full game or 2 of Indoor soccer on Wednesdays. Good mix of pace, distance and a start stop sprint type run.

I followed a rough training guide from someone who had a strong long distance running background and completed the marathon.

Was never going to be able to run the marathon by training 2-3 times a week, wouldn't have got as far as I did and probably would have ended up walking part of it.

I've done several half marathons and a few 10k's. I stopped 18 months ago when I took a job which I've recently left that took up all my time. 

The plan is to get back into it and do the birmingham full next year, I'll do the half in October. I have a 2 year old girl and a 5 month old boy though it's a pipe dream 😂

8 hours ago, Tanksie said:

You should NEVER run 6-7 days a week. Not even on a treadmill. Run 2-3 times a week max, practice good form and don't be afraid to give a day a miss if a joint aches.

Running 5 days a week is exactly how you get a fucked up knee, shin splints or a piece of floating bone in the foot.

I disagree with this. I ran in college and we easily run 5-6 times a week. Some days are easier than others, but outside of Mondays, we were always running. 

I do Tough Mudder (which is close to a half-marathon) but I don't think I could do the full marathon.  The thing about Tough Mudder is that it's broken up by an obstacle after every 1/1.5 miles.  I'd be useless if there wasn't that breather in between it all!  Don't think I could do the running non-stop.

6 hours ago, ATL said:

I disagree with this. I ran in college and we easily run 5-6 times a week. Some days are easier than others, but outside of Mondays, we were always running. 

When you are younger it's not as high risk as long as you know what you're doing and have the correct footwear. But even at my age I won't run more than 3 times weekly

I agree with Tanksie the cunt. I used to run about 4k every other day. Anymore and I'd be sore and my progress would come to a halt. Loved it, ran with my mates. It's just not the same anymore, I don't have the luxury of that soft horse race track in the clean bush air. Fucking not the same running on a concrete footpath with cars zooming past.

10 hours ago, Tanksie said:

When you are younger it's not as high risk as long as you know what you're doing and have the correct footwear. But even at my age I won't run more than 3 times weekly

How old are you?

I am 31, run 4 times a week, play tennis another 3, but I take good care of myself and I haven't been injured in some time. I also spend time and money picking out the right shoes, stretching, and recovering.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2017 at 3:11 PM, Cannabis said:

I've got my first half marathon in three weeks and whilst I'm setting a good pace and putting in the miles I'm really struggling with runners cramp. I can run through it if need be but it's really uncomfortable and it's really starting to hinder my progress. I know some of you run quite a lot so is there anything that you do the stop this? I've tried not eating 2-3 hours before a run but it still comes so I'm just really looking for some out of the box ideas?

When you say cramp where is it? 

Archived