talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Running

football forum

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok 3 weeks out from a half I'd expect 3 runs per week, I'd expect 1 3-4 mile pace run and a 6-7 mile medium pace run as well as a big 10-11 mile on a Sunday (Sunday is usually marathon day so get your body in sync to do big runs on Sundays). 

If your eating I'd not eat a good hour before and then it would be either carbs like pasta  or porridge and a banana only. I used to run on empty and eat a high protein meal after like scrambled egg etc. 

If it's stick I'd say the only thing you can do is remember to keep fluids intake while running and when it strikes ease off and concentrate on deep regular breathing in through nose out through mouth until it clears. 

If it's muscular a good warm up is vital as is a warm down after, try googling yoga stretches they've helped me no end with all sorts of leg pains. 

Also distance running is about a constant pace, don't go fast and slow down to recover just settle into a rhythm and keep going. The pace run should be where you go fast and you'll gradually see your constant pace pick up slightly 

6 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Thanks for the advice, that last sentence especially is something I'll think about as whilst I do warm up and warm down I don't really follow a strict ''plan''. Hopefully doing so will stop the cramp from coming and attacking. 

I'm down in London today but do plan on running tomorrow in preparation for the race, the aim is to complete around 11 miles at least in order to get into the half marathon routine. I'll follow your advice and see what happens, I appreciate you taking the time to help :)!

Nah no worries mate, first time I did one I had to walk mile 11-12 as it was a cunt of a hill. Finding a stretch for your stomach will help you no end, when I do 5 miles now it's my lower back muscles they need toughening up again. 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Got my second ''official'' run tomorrow with the Southport 10K. I was going to do the half marathon but decided to mix things up after speaking with some work colleagues as they said that 10K's are much more fun to experience. The course is going along the coast which should be nice providing that the weather is on form and I'm looking to beat my training time of 01:13:08 (see below):

274e0252f2021f47be2bfc2c29b0374e.png

Fingers crossed!

Good luck. I've only done 1 10km and missed my target of 50mins by 1min :( Want to do a half marathon in September but it's the same day as my football game!

I do parkrun when I can. There are 2 near where I live, Shellharbour which is a cunt with a massive fucking hill that's 1km long, it's mostly on gravel and has a beach section, my best time there is 27.15 Sandon point is more flat, and paved. So my best there is 26 min, but I haven't run there in ages (I prefer to suffer at Shellharbour) think I could push out a 24 minute run there these days.

At one point a few years back I planned on doing a 16km race from Amsterdam to Zaandam. I started practicing and was making good progress, but I just hated running so much that at one point I just quit. I might do it again at one point, as I'd need a lot less practice because I'm in much better shape than I was back then.

So I've caught the bug again, I did x-runner last weekend in Nottingham 10k 76 obstacles in 2hrs 5 mins, I'd highly recommend it for anyone looking to get involved in the mud run before tackling a big tough mudder 10 mile race. Following on from that I've signed up to the winter wolf run in Nov and I'm going to sign up for the birmingham half marathon two weeks earlier. I was talking with some friends and we're looking at doing a full marathon next year somewhere in the continent, we've agreed these do a mud run camp and get pissed every two months are the way to go now we're all post 30 with kids. Personally I'm thinking of going all out I want to do an ironman within 2 years now. 

• 2 weeks later...

So due to a combo of having to go back to the UK, fly back to Oz and then get jobs/a flat out here my training stopped for the last two weeks. I've got 3 weeks to run 8 miles which should be fine even if it will be at a push.

Went for a 2 mile run last night, first time in two weeks, managed to run with severe cramp in my stomach and couldn't breath for about the last mile of it due to my asthma being a shithead.

Ran it in 22 minutes which wasn't bad all thing considered but I used to be faster two years ago. Aiming to run 3-4 miles fairly comfortably by the end of the week.

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

So due to a combo of having to go back to the UK, fly back to Oz and then get jobs/a flat out here my training stopped for the last two weeks. I've got 3 weeks to run 8 miles which should be fine even if it will be at a push.

Went for a 2 mile run last night, first time in two weeks, managed to run with severe cramp in my stomach and couldn't breath for about the last mile of it due to my asthma being a shithead.

Ran it in 22 minutes which wasn't bad all thing considered but I used to be faster two years ago. Aiming to run 3-4 miles fairly comfortably by the end of the week.

Reckon you use some BCAA. Out of any supplement, this works, especially for building endurance. 

• Administrator

started running last week with my brother around a local park. did a couple of miles just to get started as the only other running I do is playing football twice a week. 

thinking about getting some trainers specifically for running as I don't want to use the same boots I use for playing football. Any recommendations for around £40-50?

On 7/25/2017 at 7:09 AM, Cannabis said:

Ran myself tonight actually, did a 3 mile run in the baking heat and managed to do so in 28 minutes. I got my personal best at one of my parkruns too so life's good as far as running is concerned. I'm thinking of trying to new course this weekend to shake things up a bit, I don't want to get caught in the trap of getting comfortable at my ''home'' race.

Ran a personal best at my home run last week. 26.20 down from 27.15. Cunt of a run with a beach, long hills and deep gravel

Archived