talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Running

football forum

Just done 5 miles for the first time in about 2 years, took 56 minutes overall but I definitely lost a minute here or there due to crossings. They are the bane of my existence sometimes, there's a little bit where I run through about 4-6 within half a mile and it's a shitter, but other than that its generally plain sailing.

I'm gunna have no problems with the distance next Sunday on my fun run, but for 2km there is an uphill run that climbs 80 meters and it's called Heartbreak hill :| That will be the killer, after that I'll have about 6k mostly flat and downhill, but downhill runnings almost as bad as uphill, (almost xD). I'd rather it just be flat but there you go, can't have everything.

I'm not going to aim for a time, as long as I complete it and can do it without stopping I'll be happy. I'm currently running about 9m-10m miles but the hill will put a stop to that.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't run if my life depended on it, i am complete fitness disaster. Used to train before and done some running, but for the past few years i just keep getting weight and keep getting more and more lazy. Trying to organise some footy a few times a week, if that also fails i am as good as dead.

On 25/07/2017 at 1:59 PM, Stan said:

started running last week with my brother around a local park. did a couple of miles just to get started as the only other running I do is playing football twice a week. 

thinking about getting some trainers specifically for running as I don't want to use the same boots I use for playing football. Any recommendations for around £40-50?

No you need gait analysis first otherwise you'll get injured. Go to a proper running shop get an analysis and look online for the type you need depending on what type of pronation you have. Running is cheap as it costs nothing but never skimp on shoes and they're only good for 300 miles. Personally I know my stride pattern so I go a Nike outlet and pick them up cheap now but initially spend a bit of money otherwise you'll get problems 

On 04/08/2017 at 7:08 PM, Cannabis said:

Good luck with the funrun @Danny, let us know how you get on :). I'm running at parkrun again tomorrow and can't wait, I toyed with the idea of going to a new course again but have decided to do Ormskirk that I did last week. A time under 28:26 would make me one happy Cannabis.

If you want to get quicker you'll need to start sprint training, get your comfortable pace sorted then once a week do a pace run of 3-4 miles and during this sprint for a minute then use your jog/comfortable pace to recover for a few mins then repeat. It's hard work but it's how you get quicker, if you need a watch Argos do a Casio one about £20 

The only thing I run is the streets #brap 

Seriously though, I have serious leg pain pretty much all the time (sciatica) which also cause my joints to buckle when I put too much pressure on them, thus kinda knocking me our of running. At least for the time being, I'm trying g to find A way to build my leg strength up at home, I'm thinking Yoga.

8 hours ago, FOYM said:

Seriously though, I have serious leg pain pretty much all the time (sciatica) which also cause my joints to buckle when I put too much pressure on them, thus kinda knocking me our of running. At least for the time being, I'm trying g to find A way to build my leg strength up at home, I'm thinking Yoga.

I do a 10min yoga session everyday to improve my legs & core straight from YouTube it's a huge difference. It should be mandatory in schools if you ask me

8 hours ago, Tanksie said:

Share.

I use the following really, although on yoga I ignore the "namastei" shit and focus more on the stretches, I add a few extra stretches i've used over the end then I literally open the front door and go running. 

8 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

giphy.gif

Did you know Giggs did Ballet & Yoga? Hot yoga is massive now and will keep you competing well into your 30's and extending a career, practically every sportsman or women will be on some kind of yoga program nowadays.  Mayweather is doing Yoga for the McGregor fight, LeBron does yoga as do the All Blacks, the mind body guff is shite but for flexibility it's brilliant and strength it lends to the core helps correct posture issues which are the main cause of injury. 

17 hours ago, FOYM said:

Seriously find a few yoga stretches to strengthen your legs do them for ten days you'll feel a difference. I've treated ITB using a yoga stretches and it's brilliant it really is.

• 2 months later...

So I did the Birmingham Half Marathon I’m fuming at the time really dissapointed I was really hoping for sub 2hrs. I made the mistake of trying gels without testing them in training, the result was I crashed massively around mile 11 my stomach was cramping and I’ve spent most of the evening on the loo voiding my bowls. 

1F3376FC-1522-48D9-997C-E3D2829EA50F.png

• 2 months later...

I have an absolutely pack running schedule and it starts this weekend.

January
Jan 7th - Running the Fat Ass 50k

February
None...yet

March
Mar 18th - Georgia Publix Marathon
Mar 24th - 24hr Operation Endurance Run
Mar 31st - Georgia Death Race

April
Apr 7th - Maria's Spring Fling 24hr Run
Apr 21st - Sweet H20 50k

November
Nov 3 - Pinhoti 100 Mile Run

Just now, Cannabis said:

I took December off and didn't run a yard, I thought that I would give myself some time off as I plan to hammer the miles in 2018. I'm planning to take to the streets this weekend to ease my way into it before getting into as many 10K's/Half Marathons as I can throughout the spring and summer. 

Any goals you have for 2018?

I'm just NOT to DNF in any race, and remain healthy enough to run 2,018 miles this year (3,248km)

2 hours ago, Eco said:

I have an absolutely pack running schedule and it starts this weekend.

January
Jan 7th - Running the Fat Ass 50k

February
None...yet

March
Mar 18th - Georgia Publix Marathon
Mar 24th - 24hr Operation Endurance Run
Mar 31st - Georgia Death Race

April
Apr 7th - Maria's Spring Fling 24hr Run
Apr 21st - Sweet H20 50k

November
Nov 3 - Pinhoti 100 Mile Run

2 hours ago, Eco said:

Any goals you have for 2018?

I'm just NOT to DNF in any race, and remain healthy enough to run 2,018 miles this year (3,248km)

I’m doing a virtual running challenge of 1000 Miles within 2018 which is about double my annual output. Just done 5 Miles an hour ago. 

I’m doing the

Warwick H/M in March

Birmingham / Black Country H/M in July

Birmingham Full Marathon in October. (My first full)

Im also doing a mud run in May which is 10k. 

I’m looking at doing a 22mile run at the start of September which is the Rat Race Man vs Mountain challenge. Basically 13miles to the top of Snowdonia (biggest mountain in wales) then back down through obstacles. 

However what’s putting me off is I’ve been told don’t constantly event as you won’t improve, build up for each event 1 every 10 weeks as a rule of thumb. 

You seem to event regularly, how is your recovery? And what’s your normal annual output? 

Just now, Fairy In Boots said:

You seem to event regularly, how is your recovery? And what’s your normal annual output? 

In 2017, I logged 1,800 miles, and did 3 races.

My recovery is usually fine. I will certainly struggle with having 3 races in 3 weeks, however I'm not focused on improving times, but rather I enjoy these events and supporting ultras in my local community.

Usually the rule of thumb I've heard is that for ever race you do, to not race again until you have recovered the amount of days equal to the miles you ran, so yeah, March is going to be a B*tch and I'm just hoping to be able to stay healthy.

23 minutes ago, Eco said:

In 2017, I logged 1,800 miles, and did 3 races.

My recovery is usually fine. I will certainly struggle with having 3 races in 3 weeks, however I'm not focused on improving times, but rather I enjoy these events and supporting ultras in my local community.

Usually the rule of thumb I've heard is that for ever race you do, to not race again until you have recovered the amount of days equal to the miles you ran, so yeah, March is going to be a B*tch and I'm just hoping to be able to stay healthy.

What sort of time are you doing a full marathon? 

I need to get back into it but my work hours are putting me off. Before I went for no running at all to completing a 14k in two weeks, I just need to get back to basics and push myself to hittin 5 mile runs as a minimum at the end of the two weeks

3 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

What sort of time are you doing a full marathon? 

My fulls are about 3-1/2 hours on a good day. 3:45 is probably is 'normal' one.

I'm hoping to do my 50k in 4 hours, but that might be harder since it's 100% trails which just means a slower pace.

16 minutes ago, Danny said:

I need to get back into it but my work hours are putting me off. Before I went for no running at all to completing a 14k in two weeks, I just need to get back to basics and push myself to hittin 5 mile runs as a minimum at the end of the two weeks

10% rule, remember it.

Never increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% to avoid risk of injuries. Also, it might do you some good (if you haven't already), to look into TRANSformed running and other running training techniques that help you develop good habits and get rid of any bad ones you currently have (even if you don't know you have them, everyone basically does).

Well, as those of you who follow me on Facebook and Instagram know, I did complete the 50k, but at a much slower speed that I wanted. While the goal was to just finish, I did have grand plans of doing it in 5 hours. However, it took me a whopping 7 hours which is partly due to the fact that it was laps (6 of them), approx 60 stairs on each lap, and that I peak in laps 3 and 4, which meant lap 5 was one of the worst runs I've had in years. Lap 6 wasn't awful as I knew it was the last one.

Regardless, I am happy I finished, took 2 days off and then went for a 6 mile job yesterday with no pain.

Will likely be signing up for my next Ultra this weekend. Here is a photo after lap one, and that is my precious daughter, who stayed with Mom in the car the whole time since it was 20 degrees to start the race.

26219583_10106033512364925_6058237524036387339_n.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 06/08/2017 at 10:02, Rab said:

I'd love to be able to run long distance. I keep attempting to build it up although I get lazy and it all falls apart and I go back to step 1.

A few weeks ago I decided that I wanted to be able to complete a 5k without stopping so I've been doing fartlek training between lamp posts to build myself up.

Any experienced runners got any tips on what to look out for when I'm running?

I've been doing research into running form, where to land your feet, cadence and all that.

I've managed to go a few runs a week over the last few weeks. I've been running once a week since December. I think my route is about 3km, and it takes me just over 20 minutes but I don't time myself really tbh.

I'm not really interested in the sporting aspect of it, so I don't care much about getting faster. I only do it for the workout and the fresh air, and although I've not noticed a huge increase in speed, I have noticed that I find my route much easier, and I recover much more quickly when I get home. Once I get back onto my street, I've even started sprinting the final bit home. 

At first I was a disaster and I found it hard to run more a couple of miles without a massive urge to stop, but now I never really get that feeling - once I get to my slowest pace, I feel like I could keep it going indefinitely whilst I slowly get my breath back.

Archived