talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool (4) 4-0 (3) Barcelona - Tuesday 7th May, 2019 (SF 2nd Leg)

1 hour ago, SchalkeUK said:

The midfield were way too slow to cope with Liverpool. Rakitic, Busquets and Vidal are way too slow. They need more energy in the team.

Frenkie de Jong is already addressing the future in that sense starting from September.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SchalkeUK said:

Quote:

The midfield were way too slow to cope with Liverpool. Rakitic, Busquets and Vidal are way too slow. They need more energy in the team. 

I think i said that but oddly i can't find that comment maybe its been deleted 

Azeem is correct - halfway down page 12 I picked up his comment but my 'source' told me that they were instructed to be like that and only for the last 10 minutes did they get the message via Arthur to go up and try and sort it - hence the final Barca flourish which the Liverpool defence coped with.  Now, whilst I am looking forward to Kloppy and the gang in Spain, I hope the senior Ajax forward who was one of my all-time heroes in Gelsenkirchen gets a chance for a medal after tonight, but the problem is, despite his seniority, he is still far and away better than anything we have got at the moment until Herr Wagner sorts it out. Sorry for Azeem and his team, but hang on to the young ex-Charlton guy - he could just be the man to get you back up again!  Please don't trawl around amongst the list of 'failing' old managers who roam around the UK - only to be sacked and re-invented somewhere else. Per Ardua ad Premier League:twothumbsup:

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Frenkie de Jong is already addressing the future in that sense starting from September.

It is a shame that Barcelona are not using youth instead of having to spend huge amounts of money of the fear of not winning, they need to make their youth grow by playing them from the youth team, I am not sure what is going on with Barcelona and all this money wasted on transfers. 

10 hours ago, Panna King said:

Ajax really have nothing to lose but if they do make it to the final it will be an amazing season but if people follow Ajax it is really not a great surprise considering they did make the Europa League final 2 years ago with a several of these current players who have just grown even better since.  Liverpool and Ajax is really like football purest final because of the iconic history behind the clubs in Europe as well. 

I hope Ajax get through tomorrow. It would be fantastic to see them in a Champions league final.

10 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Messi is not a leader, but you don´t necessarily your best player to be a leader. His production was really good, he can´t really be blamed for the elimination. 

I agree that Barcelona lacks some toughness, Vidal gives them that, but he´s arrived this season and still doesn´t have a big influence in the dressing room. After the 2nd goal, they needed someone to say that all was fine and that they´d still win. In that sense, Puyol has never been replaced.

10 hours ago, Inverted said:

Barcelona are at the moment just one more team sitting deep and trying to counterattack their way to Champions League glory. They think they are something special because they have Messi, but they aren't. 

They aren't the club of Cruyff anymore. They aren't even the club of Guardiola. They might have an iron grip on a drastically deteriorated league in Spain, but that is all they have. They aren't satisfied with their results, and they play a style and pursue a transfer strategy they believed was worth enduring to bring in results.

Win or lose, they have nothing to be proud of. 

Geez man you sound like you're ready to declare a blood feud.

9 hours ago, Azeem said:

After Messi retires Barca will have a big gap to the world elite. They could end up like other Big Clubs f.e. Man U, Milan or Inter. 

Messi did his part, he created three one on ones for his teammates and they all fluffed their lines. They didn't even make Allison work hard for those saves

They are nicely primed for Pep to return and restore law and order.

6 minutes ago, Panna King said:

It is a shame that Barcelona are not using youth instead of having to spend huge amounts of money of the fear of not winning, they need to make their youth grow by playing them in the youth team, I am not sure what is going on with Barcelona and all this money wasted on transfers. 

Valverde totally raped Barcas Tiki-Taka Style, in fact they won the League because all other Spanish Teams (specially Real) perform so poorly. Barca needs to stick on their old values and gave their youth players a chance. Players like Rakitic, Suarez, Coutinho, Vidal, Prince Boateng doesnt really fit into Barcas Philosophy to the game.

2 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Valverde totally raped Barcas Tiki-Taka Style, in fact they won the League because all other Spanish Teams (specially Real) perform so poorly. Barca needs to stick on their old values and gave their youth players a chance. Players like Rakitic, Suarez, Coutinho, Vidal, Prince Boateng doesnt really fit into Barcas Philosophy to the game.

The Boateng transfer was one of the weirdest signings,  The president and coach really need to be replaced to bring back Barca to its roots which made them successful.  The way they are carrying on with this spending they will end up like AC Milan especially after Messi has retired.. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Harry said:

I hope Ajax get through tomorrow. It would be fantastic to see them in a Champions league final.

Geez man you sound like you're ready to declare a blood feud.

They are nicely primed for Pep to return and restore law and order.

I can't see Pep returning to Barca. Not now that Xavi seems prime candidate to step in to the manager's role. 

5 minutes ago, Azeem said:

2 minutes ago, Panna King said:

The Boateng transfer was one of the weirdest signings,  The president and coach really need to be replaced to bring back Barca to its roots which made them successful.  The way they are carrying on with this spending they will end up like AC Milan especially after Messi has retired.. 

Agreed. Every club has their 'DNA' or the special 'way' that the play and Barca appear to have lost theirs recently. I wouldn't say Suarez and Rakitic don't fit in to the philosophy; they're just getting a bit older and Valverde's tactics don't play to their strengths. I love Vidal as a player and he came out of the game yesterday as one of very few who could have a good thing said about them. Coutinho has just had a very underwhelming season and perhaps he hasn't settled in. If he's there at the start of next season he pretty much has to start performing right from the outset. Can't be a passenger in any games and needs to perform to expectations. 

There's always periods of transition for each club and perhaps Barcelona are just about to enter theirs - let's face it Messi isn't getting any younger and eventually someone will need to step in to those large boots. For the best part of 15 years pretty much he's been at the forefront of everything they do. What happens when he's gone if Barca's recruitment strategy let's say has them bringing in players like Kevin Prince-Boateng?!

There's highly-rated youngsters like Riqui Puig, Miranda, Marques, Xavi Simons but they're still a good 2-3 years probably from making their mark. Maybe they'll reinvest in the faith of their youth teams and go back to the ways that led to their period of dominance about 10 years ago.

Regardless, yesterday needs to be the wake-up call even if the capitulation of last season vs Roma wasn't. Something needs to happen and for me that starts with Valverde not being there and getting someone in (i.e. Xavi) who really understands how Barcelona can tick. Valverde's tried to change Barcelona too much too soon and been fairly negligent of what made Barca truly successful. 

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

I can't see Pep returning to Barca. Not now that Xavi seems prime candidate to step in to the manager's role. 

Agreed. Every club has their 'DNA' or the special 'way' that the play and Barca appear to have lost theirs recently. I wouldn't say Suarez and Rakitic don't fit in to the philosophy; they're just getting a bit older and Valverde's tactics don't play to their strengths. I love Vidal as a player and he came out of the game yesterday as one of very few who could have a good thing said about them. Coutinho has just had a very underwhelming season and perhaps he hasn't settled in. If he's there at the start of next season he pretty much has to start performing right from the outset. Can't be a passenger in any games and needs to perform to expectations. 

There's always periods of transition for each club and perhaps Barcelona are just about to enter theirs - let's face it Messi isn't getting any younger and eventually someone will need to step in to those large boots. For the best part of 15 years pretty much he's been at the forefront of everything they do. What happens when he's gone if Barca's recruitment strategy let's say has them bringing in players like Kevin Prince-Boateng?!

There's highly-rated youngsters like Riqui Puig, Miranda, Marques, Xavi Simons but they're still a good 2-3 years probably from making their mark. Maybe they'll reinvest in the faith of their youth teams and go back to the ways that led to their period of dominance about 10 years ago.

Regardless, yesterday needs to be the wake-up call even if the capitulation of last season vs Roma wasn't. Something needs to happen and for me that starts with Valverde not being there and getting someone in (i.e. Xavi) who really understands how Barcelona can tick. Valverde's tried to change Barcelona too much too soon and been fairly negligent of what made Barca truly successful. 

Barcelona are losing their identity and this result against Liverpool isnt the first time they have been hammered in Europe recently, they have had it very easy in the Spanish league as the other teams around them also are declining, its very much like Serie A, a league of falling giants. 

Xavi Simons parents were speaking to the Dutch media the other week and they were thinking of taking Xavi to Ajax as they feel the way Barcelona is he will not got any game time by the time he is ready for the first team.  He will be better suited at Ajax as they will have no problems at all to play with someone youth if they feel they are good enough, so maybe they might even lose more youth if that is the case.

Whatever the future holds for any club the management should look at last night's game and realise that today's Soccer is not what it was even 5 years ago!  The best example for any future consideration is to believe that the youngsters in your academy can become another young Alexander-Armstrong.  Klopp's only error of late was to put Gomez in for the first leg and leave the kid out.  Barca's older players may have lost a little in speed, but the brains are still amongst the best and young Armstrong is quick-witted enough to challenge that.  The kids may at times be head-strong, but if the boss believes in them they will deliver.  See what is happening at Dortmund and Leverkusen with two brilliant talents and put them with Leroy and a few others.  The solidarity of the Milners and Van Dykes is crucial, but without the kids last night's result might have been different.  Just believe!

1 hour ago, Azeem said:

Will he have much say in how things are being run at Barca ?

Well he inherited a pretty strange situation when he first took over and was not afraid to move along aging Giants and players who's gone stale and turn to his academy to fill the slots.

It would be great for his legacy if he went back and started a new wave of success at Barca.

(It might also give Liverpool a chance in the Premier league if he fucked off! 🤪😈)

New wave? They've won something mad like the past 4 out of 5 leagues and 5 cups in a row.

Even under Guardiola, Barcelona weren't usually their swashbuckling best away from home. They do utilise the massive pitch of the nou camp to play their game perfectly, obviously they can do it anywhere but against top opposition, away and with a good atmosphere, it's not so easy. No excuse to capitulate and lose games so frequently by big margins though.

My BIL was in our house last night and he hates football I think that he thought me and hubby were crazy the way we were celebrating. I honestly thought that we would be beaten last night. When I woke this morning I actually thought I dreamt it all.

It would be a great narrative though.

But as I said earlier I think its a manner who knows Barca along with a captain with leadership and mental toughness that they'd need at the core of a rebuild.

I'd it just me or would it be a very big call for Xavi to walk straight in as first team manager of Barcelona a week after his retirement from playing and with no managerial experience?

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'd it just me or would it be a very big call for Xavi to walk straight in as first team manager of Barcelona a week after his retirement from playing and with no managerial experience?

Nah, he lost the BarcaDNA when he went to Qatar to start earning money for the first time in his football career. 

5 minutes ago, José said:

I wouldn't put it past them to do so. Ignoring la masia has been there downfall but they seriously need to get rid of Barto who's only goal is to continue enriching himself via shady deals like paulinho and is no different than Rossell. The president/board make the calls and the coach is nothing more than a puppet who will take the blame if the CL/la liga is not won with the squad assembled without the okay of the coach. Luis Enrique left because he couldn't handle it, it's being run just like man utd, by people more worried about profit than football. 

Barca did win their league though and are going to the Copa Del Rey final and were in the CL semi-finals. I think they’re more concerned about football than Man Utd xD

• The title was changed to Liverpool (4) 4-0 (3) Barcelona - Tuesday 7th May, 2019 (SF 2nd Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived