talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool (4) 4-0 (3) Barcelona - Tuesday 7th May, 2019 (SF 2nd Leg)

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit gents I’m feeling pretty low for not having got up to watch this match.

After watching our season go to shit in City vs Leicester the previous day  I just didn’t feel I had it in me to get up at 5am and watch us bow out of the CL as well.

My wife was up feeding the baby, and comes running in to my room 7am:

”did you know there was a champions league match on this morning?”

”yeah, but its ok, we were just wrapping up the tie with Barcelona I didn’t want to watch”

”Are you sure you didn’t want to watch?”

“Yeah we’re 3-0 down the tie is dead. “

”Are you sure?”

”Yeah, why was there a good goal or something?”

Stays silent.... *looks at me smiling idiotically*

”Don’t be stupid, we did not win”

”We did”

”We fucking did not”

”We did!!”

At this point I literally sprinted out of bed down to the tv to watch the end of the coverage. Got to the end then went back to the start and watched it. 90 minutes late for work but well worth it. 

37 minutes ago, José said:

Of course it's not as bad as man utd but to a real die hard cule, the above is simply not good enough.. like I said from the start of the season, it was CL AND the league for Valverde or he was gone. Maybe it's good enough for someone of your lot, a lot who is desperate for ANY trophy.  

Well I guess there’s a reason Madrid & Barca fans are probably my least favourite in the world. The most arrogant and detached from reality in the football world.

Nobody should go into a season expecting a CL title, because literally all of Europe’s best clubs are trying to win it. You can expect your club to fight in every match for it, but expecting the title just based on who you support is stupid.

Barca fans should be gutted though. They had a great change to get to the final and win, then they played like cowards and were punished.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well I guess there’s a reason Madrid & Barca fans are probably my least favourite in the world. The most arrogant and detached from reality in the football world.

Nobody should go into a season expecting a CL title, because literally all of Europe’s best clubs are trying to win it. You can expect your club to fight in every match for it, but expecting the title just based on who you support is stupid.

Barca fans should be gutted though. They had a great change to get to the final and win, then they played like cowards and were punished.

I'm not even sure they played like cowards? I just think they didn't know what the fuck had hit them. That performance and that atmosphere would have destroyed most teams. 

They have some of the most experienced players in world football, and they were stood there not knowing what the fuck to do. 

Fantastic doesn't even touch it. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I dont think thats arrogance mate. Its them believing in the legend of Messi. And Messi said at the start of the season he wanted the champions league this year. He set the bar.

3 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Has Origi done enough to deserve a starting place in the final?

Not if Salah and Bobby are fit, but hes a damn good player to come off the bench. He loves scoring big goals. 

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Not if Salah and Bobby are fit, but hes a damn good player to come off the bench. 

He’s definitely next behind bobby in the pecking order though. When Sturbridge moves on I assume he’ll hang around but hopefully we bring in another quality depth signing to provide competition, and better cover for Firmino. 

Just now, Pyfish said:

Probably not if the front 3 is all fit.

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

I'm not even sure they played like cowards? I just think they didn't know what the fuck had hit them. That performance and that atmosphere would have destroyed most teams. 

They’ve got Messi and needed a goal to kill us off and their game plan was to sit fairly deep and not match the energy when anyone who’s ever watched a European tie at Anfield should have known: 1) the atmosphere is going to be electric, 2) we were going to play with all the energy our players had to give (so proud of them btw), 3) we were going to throw everything at them being 3-0 down.

I think Valverde and Barca would need to turn up and it would be enough, like at Old Trafford.

Next time, perhaps Valverde will consult Mourinho regarding English opponents. He’ll be able to explain which sides have that European H E R I T A G E

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

He’s definitely next behind bobby in the pecking order though. When Sturbridge moves on I assume he’ll hang around but hopefully we bring in another quality depth signing to provide competition, and better cover for Firmino. 

I suspect Klopp will keep him around as a squad player for as long as Divock is willing to stay. Like with Ings, Klopp’s made comments about how much he rates the lad a lot. And I don’t blame him, he works his bollocks off and has scored big goals for us.

Don’t think its been mentioned in here but I quite liked the angle Klopp was driving in the build up to the match. I think it will have been instrumental in getting the players up and rearing for the match after the disappointment of City closing in on the title.

“As long as we have 11 players on the pitch we will try for 90 minutes to celebrate the Champions League campaign and to give it a proper finish.

“That’s the plan. If we can do it, wonderful.

“If we can’t do it, let’s fail in the most beautiful way.

“It should be a football party. So let’s celebrate it with our legs and our lungs.”

21 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Always a joy to watch these two Spanish mafia teams getting destroyed !

• The topic was unpinned
5 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Given his contribution to getting there it would be a shame for him not to get some time in the Final... Depending on how the game is going I should imagine Klopp will give as many as possible the chance even if not through a start then a substitution where he can... Has Origi played much in the CL this season?? 

25 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Given his contribution to getting there it would be a shame for him not to get some time in the Final... Depending on how the game is going I should imagine Klopp will give as many as possible the chance even if not through a start then a substitution where he can... Has Origi played much in the CL this season?? 

Off the top of my head, started at Porto but was hooked at half time. Late sub in the first leg against Barca. Might have come on as a late sub in one of the group stage defeats.

I like Origi. He's obviously clearly behind the other three in the pecking order and we do need someone closer to their ability for the squad but Origi's not a bad option to have in the squad either. Works hard and is a handful at times. Mad the turnaround for him this season though. Had come back from a disastrous loan spell in Germany and was barely in contention for the bench in most games prior to the derby in December. Now he's scoring goals in May to keep our season alive

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

I like Origi. He's obviously clearly behind the other three in the pecking order but he's not a bad option to have in the squad. Works hard and is a handful at times. Mad the turnaround for him this season though. Had come back from a disastrous loan spell in Germany and was barely in contention for the bench in most games

Funny how these things work out isn't it, some players just need a bit of time and patience or even that chance opportunity..  I remember someone somewhere at our club decided that Salah and De Bruyne were never going to cut the mustard in a Blue shirt.... so rather than sticking with them and having some patience we allowed them to move on to bigger and better things much to our loss... 

5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Funny how these things work out isn't it, some players just need a bit of time and patience or even that chance opportunity..  I remember someone somewhere at our club decided that Salah and De Bruyne were never going to cut the mustard in a Blue shirt.... so rather than sticking with them and having some patience we allowed them to move on to bigger and better things much to our loss... 

With Origi too, it's a real shame what happened with him. He was in shit hot form in Klopp's first season and looking like a pretty good striker for us, then he got injured and I think it ended his season but I'm not sure. After that we loaned him out to Wolfburg last season and by all accounts he was shite - although everything I read seemed to indicate that whole team was shite.

He's had a few cameos this season where he's looked everywhere from average to "I'm very happy he's a squad player" - but he's also come up with some massive goals for us. The late winner against Everton (which imo sort of revived his career), that other late winner against Newcastle, and the early goal and... winner again against Barcelona. He's kept our season alive 3 times now and in his more recent appearances for us, I think he's shown why he's gotten more appearances than Sturridge and Shaqiri. He's got the right workrate and attitude to play in Klopp's system. And he's played all along the front 3.

And while Klopp isn't one to publicly talk negatively about his players or former players, other than a few instances - like with Sakho (while he was here - about his personality and attitude) and Benteke (after he left - still said he was a good player... although I don't agree lol... but said he simply just didn't really fit in with the way Klopp wants us to play). And whenever he's spoken about Origi it seems like he really really rates him. So I suspect that Origi will remain with us as a squad player next season. And hopefully he keeps improving and becomes the player people thought he might be after he made a name for himself at the 2014 World Cup.

14 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Yeah he's still only 24 Origi too so who knows what the future holds for him. There was talk of a new contract a few weeks ago

Still cant believe we pulled that off last night, Fucking unreal night that will never be forgotten i would have been proud of this team no matter what happened come the end of the season but after last night how can you not appreciate what a special team they are.

On Origi, he has delivered more times than not when he's been given a chance, He also scored home and away in that epic Dortmund tie a couple of years ago. It looked like he was gonna be sold or loaned out at the start of the season, thank god he wasn't or we'd have been stuck with Sturridge to step in for Firmino.

All I can say is fair dues. By far the best Liverpool side I can remember and Klopp has given a lesson in how to transform a pretty mediocre side into a very good one (I won't say 'great' until they win something although they'd be worthy winners of the Premier League or the 'Champions' League should they go on and win either). 

Their name is on the trophy surely after that?

• The title was changed to Liverpool (4) 4-0 (3) Barcelona - Tuesday 7th May, 2019 (SF 2nd Leg)

Archived