talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool (4) 4-0 (3) Barcelona - Tuesday 7th May, 2019 (SF 2nd Leg)

• Subscriber

Good to see Brewster on the bench. The script is there for him to come on as a late sub and score a winner isn't it! Liverpool will miss Salah's influence more than Firmino I think. Hopefully Klopp goes for TAA instead of Gomez at the back tonight as wasn't convinced Joe did any good in the first leg. The tie isn't over yet but it's a huge ask!

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, the odds are well against us - so it's basically asking the lads to do the impossible... but I've got 90 minutes of hope left in me just about and maybe if they pull the impossible off, I'll have a hell of a lot more hope.

I just want us to give Barca the toughest game they've had this season and get a solid win. I don't necessarily want it to go to extra time... because I still want us to beat Wolves on the off chance that Citeh somehow manage to fuck up... but that wouldn't be the worst problem for us to have in the world if it keeps us in the hunt for silverware.

Having said that, I fully expect we'll look a bit lost up front with only one member of the starting front 3. But at very least, we know Origi will run his arse off. But it's asking the lads to do the impossible, so really I just hope they play well. If we go through, cool. If not... well that's what I was expecting so oh well. 

We had a chance with Firmino and Salah. I even put a tenner on it happening. That tenner is like a mars bar wrapper in the wind now. No chance that Origi, Sturridge, Shaqiri, Lallana or whoever the fuck starts tonight, does enough. 

Like Slipknot once said, all hope is gone. 

4 minutes ago, Rick said:

We had a chance with Firmino and Salah. I even put a tenner on it happening. That tenner is like a mars bar wrapper in the wind now. No chance that Origi, Sturridge, Shaqiri, Lallana or whoever the fuck starts tonight, does enough. 

Like Slipknot once said, all hope is gone. 

We have a chance, it's just a terrible chance xD

It would probably be our second greatest comeback in Europe ever. Especially with those two out. It's unlikely as fuck, but who knows.

I guess how much hope I have really depends on what happens. If Sturridge starts, then we've basically decided to play with 10.5 men, he's only really useful when we've got the ball. And even then, he doesn't make penetrating runs into the box anymore, he just hangs around the edges hoping to get enough space to get a good shot off. Sad what's happened to him. If Barca score at any point, I'll probably also lose hope (unless something ridiculous has happened lol).

Like I said, I just hope we get a good performance and a win. If we somehow manage to get through after that disaster first leg... it's a miracle.

3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Odd selection but hey could be worst with Lovren starting or having Sturridge up there instead. 

What's odd about it? There's literally nothing else he could have done apart from Gini for one of the other midfielders is there?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

What's odd about it? There's literally nothing else he could have done apart from Gini for one of the other midfielders is there?

I don't know why but that midfield with Milner in it just doesn't sit right with me because I think that's a mistake waiting to happen with the way this Barcelona side play. You'd then have them ganging up on Trent as a result of that and even if Fabinho does swing outwards that leaves them chances to move the ball the other way. Which is why I said odd and its mostly about the choice to have Milner on vs Gini. I could be 100% wrong here and I hope I am but  I don't think we'll be enforcing the play tonight.

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I don't know why but that midfield with Milner in it just doesn't sit right with me because I think that's a mistake waiting to happen with the way this Barcelona side play. You'd then have them ganging up on Trent as a result of that and even if Fabinho does swing outwards that leaves them chances to move the ball the other way. Which is why I said odd and its mostly about the choice to have Milner on vs Gini. I could be 100% wrong here and I hope I am but  I don't think we'll be enforcing the play tonight

To be honest, that sort of thinking goes out the window a bit. We have to throw the kitchen sink at them. Constant pressure. Milner brings a bit more grit than Gini does. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Not fishing but you're two of men down, arguably your two best players. I'm not sure what else Klopp can do to be honest.

Oh I get that I am just saying if we want to stop them from advancing we could have played a slightly better chasing midfield. I don't expect us to overrun the tie and win it but I do expect us to contain them better.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that selection.

With Firmino and Salah out, Origi and Shaqiri is the obvious go to for a makeshift front 3. Sturridge off the bench late on if we are still in it for a desperate hit and hope makes sense to me. With the midfield, I think the choice is either Gini or Milner. Fabinho and Henderson are must starts in this one if we're to get 4 goals (or more) against this fucking side. And then I'd throw Milner in purely because this is going to be a game where I think tactics don't matter so much as just getting the ball off Barca players and trying to keep going forward.

"But Gonzo, those are tactics."

In any case, I'd just go with Henderson Fabinho and Milner for the pure workrate. The back 4 and defenders all pick themselves imo.

• Administrator

Just before everyone is bound to kick off about it... From both sides there's bound to be some diving, play-acting, simulation, antagonising, feather-rustling, jimmy-rustling behaviour. 

It happens. It shouldn't. Hopefully there's less of it compared to other games.

Ref needs to control it early on and not bottle key decisions, for either side. 

Unlikely that Liverpool come back to win the tie but hope it's an entertaining game. 

I reckon Liverpool to score early but Barca to win the game. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Just before everyone is bound to kick off about it... From both sides there's bound to be some diving, play-acting, simulation, antagonising, feather-rustling, jimmy-rustling behaviour. 

It happens. It shouldn't. Hopefully there's less of it compared to other games.

Ref needs to control it early on and not bottle key decisions, for either side. 

Unlikely that Liverpool come back to win the time but hope it's an entertaining game. 

I reckon Liverpool to score early but Barca to win the game. 

Why do you hate Liverpool so much? Embarrassing.

• Administrator

Goal Liverpool!! 

Origi scores a rebound from Henderson's saved shot.

Alba's mistake to head back earlier in the move. 

• The title was changed to Liverpool (4) 4-0 (3) Barcelona - Tuesday 7th May, 2019 (SF 2nd Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived