talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ajax (3) 2-3a (3) Tottenham - Wednesday 8th May, 2019 (SF 2nd Leg)

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Telstar player sacked for going to watch the first leg which means he can now watch the 2nd leg thanks to a journalist getting a ticket...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48198759

When a friend handed Jordie van der Laan a ticket for the first leg of Ajax's Uefa Champions League semi-final against Spurs last week, the temptation was too great.

Van der Laan, a 25-year-old striker with second-tier club Telstar, decided to travel to London.

"I just called in sick and of course it wasn't the best decision. In the end someone found out," he told the BBC.

The club decided to terminate his contract by mutual consent.

"He tricked us," complained technical director Piet Buter.

"In all he was away from the club for four days. At our request to go to the club doctor he reacted by saying he had an appointment with his GP," he told a local paper. "The next day his excuse was that he was in bed with a fever."

Van der Laan was not the only Ajax fan who failed to show up to work last week. A Dutch reporter was slapped by a supporter outside the Spurs ground, apparently because he was angry that fans who had called in sick were being filmed.

No-one realised Van der Laan had flown to London last Tuesday to see Ajax beat Spurs 1-0, to set up a tantalising second leg at the Cruijff Arena in Amsterdam on Wednesday.

And initial reports said that friends and colleagues only found out when they saw his face appear three times during TV coverage of the match.

"My team's group-chat exploded. They fell about laughing," he was quoted as saying by the Volkskrant newspaper. Friends spotted him on TV from as far afield as Denmark and Mexico.

But Telstar trainer Mike Snoei had already suspected something was up and when he said he wanted to visit Van der Laan, the player admitted he was on his way to see Ajax.

Van der Laan said Telstar's season was as good as over and as he had not been selected for some time his chances of playing in the next match against Young PSV the coming Friday were thin.

"I hadn't expected it would get so out of hand. I didn't show up for training on Tuesday and it got noticed. But in my discussion with Telstar it was agreed it wouldn't get out," he told local broadcaster Omroep Brabant.

Telstar were unimpressed.

"The trainer said it was incredibly stupid of me, and with one more game ahead he decided it was best to terminate my contract," he told the Volkskrant.

Not to be downhearted, Van der Laan was keen to look forward to Ajax's return match in Amsterdam, after their victory at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium.

On Monday the player tweeted: "So don't I deserve a ticket for Wednesday's match now? After all I am free, aren't I?"

Journalist Menno Pot responded with an offer of a free ticket in return for a round of beer.

So the former Telstar footballer will go to the game.

His former club has decided not to take legal action - as long as he does not make it look like Telstar was to blame.

It's great that one of teams will be in the final.

Both have slayed some Giants and you couldn't begrudge then the success...

It would be nice if Ajax can progress though and reach a final before their team is dismantled over the summer.

• Subscriber

I don't think Spurs will go down without a fight here. Yes Ajax have been great this season but I wouldn't put it past Spurs to try and play better from the first leg because they honestly almost got their act together in the second half of that match.

• Administrator

Spurs look shagged and lacking bottle, cannot see how they're going to roll over Ajax on their own turf after the drivel they served up against Bournemouth. Granted they were the better side for the first half of the first half, but they were wasteful and Son losing his head says all about the pressure being too great. 

• Administrator
Just now, Cicero said:

Newcastle scored twice against Liverpool and Liverpool held Messi and co. 

Anything can happen

This is Spurs though xD

I hope Ajax learn from Barca's mistakes yesterday... especially as their lead isn't as large (granted, it's a vital away goal - but any goal Spurs score now is an away goal). Can't afford to rest at all over the 90 minutes, they need to be positive and finish the job.

Not that I'm worried about them, they handled Real Madrid and Juve. Spurs look depleted and out of confidence in the league, they might be saving themselves for the CL, but I think Ajax will approach this with a "finish the job" mentality.

5 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Ajax will be full of confidence after winning the Dutch cup at the weekend.  I hope Ajax just go out and play their normal style as even a draw is good enough for them to go through.

So then Ajax have the chance of winning the treble? Should they win tonight? 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Yes, they should go on and win the the league.

Is Eredivisie decided on goal difference or head to head? 

Hope they win the league. 

Just now, Stan said:

Is Eredivisie decided on goal difference or head to head? 

Hope they win the league. 

Its goal Difference

Ajax -  Played 32 - Won 26 - Drew 2 - Lost 4 - F 111 - A 30 - GD +81 - Points 80

PSV -  Played 32 - Won 25 - Drew 5 - Lost 2 - F 95 - A 24 - GD +71 - Points 80

• The title was changed to Ajax (3) 2-3a (3) Tottenham - Wednesday 8th May, 2019 (SF 2nd Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived