talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ajax (3) 2-3a (3) Tottenham - Wednesday 8th May, 2019 (SF 2nd Leg)

Ajax just need to keep their coach and the majority of their players, there is nothing to stop them being successful again, they were Europa League finalists 2 years ago and lost several players but managed to come back stronger. 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Not sure what you mean?

You talk about the glory hunters becoming unbearable but you're a Leicester fan, so I made a joke asking how you survived the season where you won when most of the glory hunters came out of their shell :) 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

You talk about the glory hunters becoming unbearable but you're a Leicester fan, so I made a joke asking how you survived the season where you won when most of the glory hunters came out of their shell :) 

Ah xD that isn't the same really but I can sort of see what you mean. I think at the time I was just too pissed to care.

I'd rather this had been the final as I can't stand Liverpool or Barca and I'd like to have seen Spurs win it. Obviously I still do want them to win it as I wanted whoever won this to win it but I don't think they will. I just think that Liverpool are another level above them and surely they won't lose two on the bounce? 

I have to say though that my longheld belief that the format of this competition is absolutely pathetic is surely backed up by the laughable notion of the 'Champions of Europe' being a side that last won their own league when JFK was alive and nobody outside of Liverpool or Hamburg had ever heard of The Beatles! Madness! You could say similar about Liverpool having last won it when Oasis hadn't even formed. Not trying to slag off their achievements in getting where they have, I just think it was called the 'Champions' Cup/League for a reason. It isn't the 'we finished third/fourth league'. That was what the UEFA Cup was before it became a competition for midtable clubs like United.

2 hours ago, Rick said:

These same people are the ones who scream "football won tonight" when Ajax went through in the last round. Yet, they twine and stomp their feet when it doesn't go their way. Gobshites, mate.

There's two teams in the final that have fought tooth and nail for their clubs, and people still can't show a little bit of respect and humility. 

That's right, everyone on a football forum should post carbon-copy, orgasmic praise, parroting the sporting media's hyperbolic exultation of the feat. 

Nobody has disrespected what either club has achieved - they have, however, put their own opinions on how it has been achieved. Isn't the ability to view an event with polar-opposite subjectivity and discuss it like grown ups something we are able to do on tf365?

• Subscriber

Lucas Moura Tottenham legend.

What a match. Tale of two completely different halves. Two things; I don't know how they found 5 minutes of stoppage time to add.... And Ziyech should have buried the tie.

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Have you ever considered that you're a cunt 

I know I am, but I have the social awareness to know that. The type of fans I’m talking about don’t realise they are cunts themselves but assume everyone else is. 

Real Madrid was not the greatest opponent this Ajax team overcame. Nor was Juventus. Its biggest challenge, by far, was the fact that this competition is no longer for teams like this. Ajax and its ilk are, at best, tolerated by the superclubs who see the Champions League as their birthright: their continued presence ranks somewhere between a nuisance and a hangover from history. That is why Ajax, last season’s Dutch runner-up, had to start its campaign in July, and Tottenham and Liverpool — third and fourth in the Premier League last year — could wait until September.

6 hours ago, Salford Kel said:

I'd rather this had been the final as I can't stand Liverpool or Barca and I'd like to have seen Spurs win it. Obviously I still do want them to win it as I wanted whoever won this to win it but I don't think they will. I just think that Liverpool are another level above them and surely they won't lose two on the bounce? 

I have to say though that my longheld belief that the format of this competition is absolutely pathetic is surely backed up by the laughable notion of the 'Champions of Europe' being a side that last won their own league when JFK was alive and nobody outside of Liverpool or Hamburg had ever heard of The Beatles! Madness! You could say similar about Liverpool having last won it when Oasis hadn't even formed. Not trying to slag off their achievements in getting where they have, I just think it was called the 'Champions' Cup/League for a reason. It isn't the 'we finished third/fourth league'. That was what the UEFA Cup was before it became a competition for midtable clubs like United.

The European Cup has long ceased to be about the meritocracy of the best side in Europe winning, it's a money spinner for the aristocracy (and now nouveaux rich) to promote their 'brands' and earn millions for essentially doing fuck all. What is the point in the group stage other than to rinse more money? The true European Champion is the one that wins the league in the preceding year or in the same year. I can just about accept 2nd place getting in but when mediocre positions like 4th are rewarded it devalues the whole thing.

• Subscriber

Only saw the highlights this morning, what a bloody game, went to bed and read a book before I retired I checked the score and Ajax were 2 nil up and I thought "Good night Spurs..." it's only when I was ready to turn the bedside lamp off, checked the score on my mobile and saw 2-3 Spurs, that was me out of bed and back in the lounge and switch my laptop on.

To think Spurs have never won the European Cup (or Champions League nowadays) and they have a chance now against Liverpool who have won it 5 times and going for number six so I don't think Liverpool fans will mind if Spurs win it?...................hang on, I will get my coat  getmecoat.gif    xD

• The topic was unpinned
1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

All a bit self-pitying. Ajax weren't overpowered by the undeserving wealthy, in fact Spurs are quite a story themselves in terms of spending very little. They threw it away.

Tbf they were overpowered by a club that they have  lost 4 key players to. Spurs do amazingly in England on their level of spending, but against Ajax they are a financial giant.

• The title was changed to Ajax (3) 2-3a (3) Tottenham - Wednesday 8th May, 2019 (SF 2nd Leg)

It's easier for the people from the outside to mock players and manger who were crying. It's the players and mangers who have been drained by a long season, pushed to brink of defeat and then seen things miraculously changed for the better. The whole stoicism thing is bullshit. Go have a cry if it helps you. You've earned it. 

Fair play to Spurs for performing like that. And kudos to Ajax.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

It's easier for the people from the outside to mock players and manger who were crying. It's the players and mangers who have been drained by a long season, pushed to brink of defeat and then seen things miraculously changed for the better. The whole stoicism thing is bullshit. Go have a cry if it helps you. You've earned it. 

Bang on. 

47 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I'm not meaning to mock, it's just a personal view that all this overly emotional stuff is a bit too much. Expressing emotions seems to be a justification for everything now. The fact you think 'stoicism' is bullshit says it all, our society could do a hell of a lot more of it as everyone disappears into this hyper 'emotional' bubble of self adulation.

While it's not a dick measuring contest I think Spurs comeback is objectively better than liverpools. 

4 goals in a home game in 90 minutes vs 3 (and a hattrick from a midfielder no less) in an away game in 45 minutes against a confident side who went into the sheds 2-0 up. 

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

While it's not a dick measuring contest I think Spurs comeback is objectively better than liverpools. 

4 goals in a home game in 90 minutes vs 3 (and a hattrick from a midfielder no less) in an away game in 45 minutes against a confident side who went into the sheds 2-0 up. 

Not for me, Ajax as good as they have been, aren't at the same level as Barcelona and there's a reason people wanted them. Liverpool needed 3 in 45 minutes too, albeit at home. Also the Ajax keeper threw one of the goals in for Spurs.

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Not for me, Ajax as good as they have been, aren't at the same level as Barcelona and there's a reason people wanted them. Liverpool needed 3 in 45 minutes too, albeit at home. Also the Ajax keeper threw one of the goals in for Spurs.

I can't argue with the other facts, but this Barcelona side away from home who were happy to try and defend almost all game or the home Ajax boys full of beans... I;d take Barcelona every time personally. I think it's also reflected in the fact that Ajax were criminally unlucky not to have scored again, whereas Barca after the first 20 minutes were passengers. 

14 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm not meaning to mock, it's just a personal view that all this overly emotional stuff is a bit too much. Expressing emotions seems to be a justification for everything now. The fact you think 'stoicism' is bullshit says it all, our society could do a hell of a lot more of it as everyone disappears into this hyper 'emotional' bubble of self adulation.

There was nothing overly emotional in that. Neither did anyone milk it for the cameras or anything else. It was a spontaneous reaction, after being put through on a roller-coaster of a ride. I can understand their reactions. And more importantly my point was centred around that. 

You can debate about how everyone nowadays screams about emotions, and how quite a few have made an industry out of it, but this was not it.  Also, stoicism has its place and sometimes it's a personal thing, but to have issue with players and managers crying (or how they choose to express their joy) is just weird. Asking for stoicism in 'that situation' is just unnecessary. 

7 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

There was nothing overly emotional in that. Neither did anyone milk it for the cameras or anything else. It was a spontaneous reaction, after being put through on a roller-coaster of a ride. I can understand their reactions. And more importantly my point was centred around that. 

You can debate about how everyone nowadays screams about emotions, and how quite a few have made an industry out of it, but this was not it.  Also, stoicism has its place and sometimes it's a personal thing, but to have issue with players and managers crying (or how they choose to express their joy) is just weird. Asking for stoicism in 'that situation' is just unnecessary. 

I am perhaps looking into it more deeply than I should but a tear in eye is acceptable, full on balling, not so much. 

Archived