talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ajax (3) 2-3a (3) Tottenham - Wednesday 8th May, 2019 (SF 2nd Leg)

Pretty gutted. I'm not an Ajax supporter, but wins like the one in 1995 (which I sort of remember still) have a lasting effect on the mythos of Dutch football, and a CL final would have made for a great story, and it would've made a lot of people I know very happy. One co-worker described it as a childhood dream falling apart in front of his eyes. :|

I do hope Liverpool go on to win it now. They're such a nice team to watch and I feel like they deserve some silverware after a season like the one they've had.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Rick said:

Hard not to like Potchettino

Definitely. Unbelievable the last gasp manner of getting through now two ties in a row.

15 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Don't even know how to react. Was looking forward to an Ajax Liverpool final. An all English final feels pretty bland unless it's Man City and Liverpool.

Gutted for Ajax but you've got to show more composure in defence. Conceding off chances created by Llorente and his physicality won't get you in the Champions League final. More gutted for them than I would be for a likeable Barcelona or Spurs team just because you know that team's getting dismantled over the next few transfer windows and it'll be 5 years before the next wave of young lads are ready to even think about another run at the final.

Ridiculous tournament this has been though.

Well said. Exactly how I feel. I would have been so excited to play Ajax. Only a Liverpool City all EPL final would have a really interesting narrative.  

15 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

How is everyone not excited for a final that most English fans that aren't fans of these two teams label bottlers constantly. Is it because we both can't bottle it?

I think it's disappointment because all the neutrals were so excited about Ajax. If they'd been the ones to play and beat Barca I'd expect a different reaction.

14 hours ago, Panna King said:

Ajax just need to keep their coach and the majority of their players, there is nothing to stop them being successful again, they were Europa League finalists 2 years ago and lost several players but managed to come back stronger. 

As most teams realise that isn't sustainable long term. I'd love to see Ajax able to keep their home grown players at least until there 24.

13 hours ago, Salford Kel said:

3 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

That's great!

3 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm not meaning to mock, it's just a personal view that all this overly emotional stuff is a bit too much. Expressing emotions seems to be a justification for everything now. The fact you think 'stoicism' is bullshit says it all, our society could do a hell of a lot more of it as everyone disappears into this hyper 'emotional' bubble of self adulation.

You're entitled to feel that way. Football has always had that effect on me tho. Cried watching Istanbul. Cried when Stevie slipped vs Chelsea and in the "we go again" moment vs City that season. Cried watching the players celebrate in front of the kop yesterday. I love that football brings that emotion out in me. I'm actually proud of it.

2 hours ago, Panflute said:

Pretty gutted. I'm not an Ajax supporter, but wins like the one in 1995 (which I sort of remember still) have a lasting effect on the mythos of Dutch football, and a CL final would have made for a great story, and it would've made a lot of people I know very happy. 

Same here. It reminds me of the Liverpool 13/14 title charge where it felt like a once in a lifetime opportunity. Well earned, but achieved so far above expectations. It hurt so bad when that went up in smoke because you knew it was an aberration that was unlikely to repeat itself. I can only imagine how devastated ajax fans must be right now, particularly knowing they'll lose at least 3 of their key players in the summer and struggle to repeat this run again.

36 minutes ago, Harry said:

Same here. It reminds me of the Liverpool 13/14 title charge where it felt like a once in a lifetime opportunity. Well earned, but achieved so far above expectations. It hurt so bad when that went up in smoke because you knew it was an aberration that was unlikely to repeat itself. I can only imagine how devastated ajax fans must be right now, particularly knowing they'll lose at least 3 of their key players in the summer and struggle to repeat this run again.

Yeah, even in the era of Ibrahimovic and Van der Vaart, Ajax never got this far. Ajax's effort this season was a perfect storm and there's no guarantee it will ever happen again.

• Subscriber

Ignis summed it up well but give em a break man how can you fault them for crying/shedding tears or full on balling it doesnt fucking matter how you want to categorize it. Sports are emotional even as a fan let alone the players or managers leaving everything physically and or mentally they have on the pitch. Let them react.

11 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I have to agree with Kel here, imagine being Champions of Europe despite never really looking like winning your domestic league, apart from the one off season that they were pipped by Leicester of all people.

It maybe needs its own thread but I kind of agree but kind of don't at the same time. For me it should have the best teams in Europe in it. A team that finished fourth in England is stronger than a lot of winners of other leagues. The only issue though is that the way it is set up means the big leagues get bigger and the smaller leagues get smaller.

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

It maybe needs its own thread but I kind of agree but kind of don't at the same time. For me it should have the best teams in Europe in it. A team that finished fourth in England is stronger than a lot of winners of other leagues. The only issue though is that the way it is set up means the big leagues get bigger and the smaller leagues get smaller.

That's how it was intended to be set up and the imbalance has been achieved precisely becauee of this system. Prior to the Champs Lge you'd have clubs from Eastern Europe as frequent winners, Scottish clubs going far. Becauee the greed hadn't meant that football was unequal. What we've seen is the radical free market of the Western countries introduced and now the wealthiest have killed it off as a corner just for them. 

9 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

That's how it was intended to be set up and the imbalance has been achieved precisely becauee of this system. Prior to the Champs Lge you'd have clubs from Eastern Europe as frequent winners, Scottish clubs going far. Becauee the greed hadn't meant that football was unequal. What we've seen is the radical free market of the Western countries introduced and now the wealthiest have killed it off as a corner just for them. 

I don't thank eastern European teams won the European cup much (the only ones I can think of are steau buchereat)but they were better. Scottish clubs were definitely better. I think it would be fair to have the champions of the top countries in it and the second placed teams having a play of against the champions of countries that have weaker leagues. Then at least it is more even. As much as it has benefited arsenal a fourth placed teams shouldn't be in it. 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't thank eastern European teams won the European cup much (the only ones I can think of are steau buchereat)but they were better. Scottish clubs were definitely better. I think it would be fair to have the champions of the top countries in it and the second placed teams having a play of against the champions of countries that have weaker leagues. Then at least it is more even. As much as it has benefited arsenal a fourth placed teams shouldn't be in it. 

Belgrade? They were always good sides who did well. Now it's a cabal or 3-4 leagues.

• Subscriber

Think it should always have been called the European Cup to be honest. Champions League has become too much of its own brand now though and that matters a lot more to the powers that be than the 0.1% of purists like us on the internet debating the name of the competition.

12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Think it should always have been called the European Cup to be honest. Champions League has become too much of its own brand now though and that matters a lot more to the powers that be than the 0.1% of purists like us on the internet debating the name of the competition.

Never understood why they bothered even changing the name of the competition, tbh. Particularly when they were adding in less Champions. I don't mind that it's not as "pure" anymore, because otherwise I wouldn't have seen 1 of our 5 European Cup wins happen - so that's purely selfish.

8 hours ago, Panflute said:

Yeah, even in the era of Ibrahimovic and Van der Vaart, Ajax never got this far. Ajax's effort this season was a perfect storm and there's no guarantee it will ever happen again.

There is a chance while Italian and Spanish teams are getting weaker.

5 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I agree with your sentiment but I think if the original competition format was retained it would have just wound up an irrelevant competition like the club World cup.

The format change didn't cause the imbalance imo, the format changed because the world was changing and change was necessary. More tv sets. More devices. A whole bunch of fuckin Aussies becoming fans of your beloved local club. Etc. The competition evolved in order to stay relevant.

Archived