talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

League One 2018/19 Play-offs - Charlton Promoted

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Who was that fat inbred bellend kicking the Sunderland player who fell over the advertising hoardings, trying to call Cattermole over for a fight then trying to climb over onto the pitch himself? xD

Some people have some serious anger problems if you can't go to a football match without wanting to batter someone. It's a fucking game.

Just seen this. What a knob head. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a shocking way to end the year. We started off so strong and playing beautiful football, and even though we were grounded a bit, we still were one of the better sides to watch...until this. 

Not enough urgency and why Kenny didn't start Lowe, our leading scorer, on the bench for the first 55 minutes. We constantly lost our cool, committed stupid penalties because again, we couldn't keep a cool head. There are so many players I'm disappointed in, and I think looking back, they will be disappointed in themselves. 

I hope everyone survived after the match, as it was incredibly testy, and obviously the fans were emotional. The Pompey fan who kicked the Sunderland lad should be banned. Praise to the Sunderland guy for not pressing charges on the fan, as it's a heated moment and the fan obviously lost his cool. He should be punished, no doubt. 

Overall, I hated we got Sunderland to start off, this was the one team that worried me, and this is why. If they get a lead, they can play more sound defense than most, which worried me. In the end, we lost when we couldn't score when we were up a player in Sunderland, simple as. We have to find a better scorer next year as we make a push for automatic promotion. 

This sucks, and I got much more upset and furious than I expected. I'm sure the players cared today, but what killed me the most is that I couldn't see it, and that's the worst. 

Aw, gutted - this doesn't bode well for Tranmere either with all of the sides I want to get promotion not getting promotion. Aside from me having a soft spot for Pompey due to where I went to uni, I fucking hate Sunderland.

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Aw, gutted - this doesn't bode well for Tranmere either with all of the sides I want to get promotion not getting promotion. Aside from me having a soft spot for Pompey due to where I went to uni, I fucking hate Sunderland.

Good. They may be the second best team in Liverpool after Everton but I want Newport to go up. :)

7 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Good. They may be the second best team in Liverpool after Everton but I want Newport to go up. :)

They’re the 3rd best side on Merseyside after LFC and our reserves, get it right mate

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to this one. I don’t mind either club at all, though I will be hoping Sunderland win. One of very few memories I have of my maternal grandad was him close to tears after the 1998 play-off final between Sunderland and Charlton, so I always hope they do well.

Seems there is a big Charlton following going, with some either just piggy-backing on to the club’s big day out, as is natural with these things, and others seemingly breaking their boycott of The Valley due to the ownership of the club. 

It also makes great television for Netflix regardless of the result for Sunderland, it offers some form of redemption almost from the hell of Martin Bain’s rhetorical questions and relegation from the Championship, whereas a loss makes for the potential for Series 3. 

Feel for Dillon Phillips there, he’s made the number one shirt at Charlton his own since Jed Steer went back to Villa. Was driving when it happened and the Talksport lot sensationalised it a bit saying it was a much weaker pass back than that but that’s still a bad one for Phillips. 

Sarr is too concerned about looking like he's comfortable in possession, as opposed to just moving the ball into midfield, or gently rolling it back to the goalie.

The keeper is too concerned about his touch looking good, as opposed to just getting behind the ball. 

4 minutes ago, Rick said:

Not blaming the defender there, the keeper has enough time to adjust and take that pass. 

He could have played forward, but choose to dither. Then he could have just played a sensible pass back but he suddenly sprung into life and zipped a pass straight toward the middle of goal. 

It's mostly the keepers fault, but it's completely unnecessary from the defender. 

5 minutes ago, Inverted said:

He could have played forward, but choose to dither. Then he could have just played a sensible pass back but he suddenly sprung into life and zipped a pass straight toward the middle of goal. 

It's mostly the keepers fault, but it's completely unnecessary from the defender. 

Yeah he did piss about a bit and could have done better himself but I don't think his pass back is bad. He hardly blasted it back to him.

Delighted for Charlton given the few years they’ve had under Roland Duchatelet. It’s a shame that he’s still there but the job Lee Bowyer has done has largely gone under the radar there, he’s been superb for Charlton. 

Always a gutter to lose in injury time, I can only imagine how bad losing in injury time of a play-off final must feel but I think it would be a bit unjust on Sunderland to get promoted given how bad they’ve been this season, especially since Christmas. They’ve simply drawn far too many games. 

• Administrator

Just seen the score and the timing of the winner. Heartbreaking for Sunderland but good on Charlton. What a way to seal promotion. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived