talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 0-2 Liverpool - Saturday 1st June, 2019 - FINAL

Champions League FINAL 2019  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win The Champions League Final 2019?

Just now, Inverted said:

I'm not being xenophobic, I'm actually sympathetic. Kane being a homegrown talent has created an unrealistic expectation, without which he would either have been subbed off sooner, or not started.

The media creates unfair expectation of English players, leading to him him being thrown into this game despite his unreadiness.

His nationality has cursed him into somehow being put in ahead of other elite players who are fitter and more ready than he is. If he wasn't English, he would have played a more appropriate role in this final. 

Utter bollocks. 

I think the fact that he’s the one who’s kicked and headed the ball between those white sticks more times than anybody else in the Tottenham team is probably a bit more of a reason why his presence in the starting XI was deemed so important, not his nationality. 

You just wanted to have a pop at the English, congratulations, you did that.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Machado said:

Congratz to the Liverpool fans over here. Very much deserved trophy for this side and Klopp in particular. Enjoy the night :D

Mate you've been following and quortely supporting. So thank you 

Ref ruined the game by granting that pk within first minute. Looked like it hit shoulder/chest.  

But refs have been giving Liverpool all the calls throughout.  That sneaky corner vs Barcelona still is shady to me.  

Game was done at that point.  And Liverpool didn't score afterwards till Tottenham had to press up late on. 

That liverpool were better than what they showed but maybe luck is all you need....

• Administrator
Just now, The Käiser said:

That sneaky corner vs Barcelona still is shady to me

How and why xD?!

It was fair and square, legit, all good. 

19 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Utter bollocks. 

I think the fact that he’s the one who’s kicked and headed the ball between those white sticks more times than anybody else in the Tottenham team is probably a bit more of a reason why his presence in the starting XI was deemed so important, not his nationality. 

You just wanted to have a pop at the English, congratulations, you did that.

At most I was having a pop at the English media and it's unfair expectations, but generally no. I think Winks was Spurs' key player in all honesty, and last I checked he's English. 

If you think Kane starting was done on technical or tactical grounds, then power to you, but I think everyone can see what happened out on the pitch, and also that this outcome from Kane starting was predicted even by quite limited pundits like Ferdinand. 

All I'm saying is that Kane started on reputation, and not really logical grounds. And if you think his nationality isn't a factor in his reputation, then I admire that actually. 

34 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

Ref ruined the game by granting that pk within first minute. Looked like it hit shoulder/chest.  

But refs have been giving Liverpool all the calls throughout.  That sneaky corner vs Barcelona still is shady to me.  

Game was done at that point.  And Liverpool didn't score afterwards till Tottenham had to press up late on. 

That liverpool were better than what they showed but maybe luck is all you need....

I think we'd have got a better final without that penalty call. It shellshocked us big time

• Administrator

This is quite a special moment. Apparently Henderson's dad beat cancer so makes it all the more special he was able to see his son lift the Champions League trophy. 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

How and why xD?!

It was fair and square, legit, all good. 

Quick free quicks and players doing a stutter step on approach of a pk are all legit too but I don't like them as they are sneaky and are unsportsmanlike to me.

They attacking team already has the advantage of a free kick, pk or corner but also to take further advantage?  is it that they think it's the only way for them to succeed?

Fifa has a slogan of fair play....does it uphold that saying? (Only for teams they prefer)

I've seen refs call back few kicks taken quickly that didn't result in a goal.  But that play they let that particular one stand. Even though it had implications in who advances. 

The pk given in first minute today:

1) killed off the game for the neutral 

2) threw out Tottenhams game plan right at start

3) continued beneficial refereeing towards Liverpool this season (ball hit his chest/shoulder area first)

I expected Liverpool to win today but not in this fashion.  4:1 or 4:0 was in the cards but the refs bailed them out  

what would've happen if the ref kept the whistle in his pocket in the first minute is unknown.  But I think it would've made for a better final.

• Subscriber

I think on the penalty front people just have to accept that this is the new football. You can post a screenshot of the initial contact being with Sissoko's chest but at the end of the day, he stuck his arm out and it made contact with the ball. I'm not saying that I agree that should be a penalty automatically but we've seen from the United penalty against PSG and I'm pretty sure the one Aguero missed vs Spurs was similar, that you're not getting away with that anymore.

In 2 years time, any defender inside his own box that stands with his hands anywhere other than up his own backside will get slated for being an amateur. As a sporting fanbase we will have accepted the new penalty rules just like we've accepted diving as part of the game, and just like we'll have accepted VAR by this time next year.

Liverpool would have won anyway. Spurs had nothing to offer in attack, might have nicked one if the game had gone on for another 90 minutes but you could play that final another 10 times over and Liverpool would win 8 or 9 of them.

49 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think on the penalty front people just have to accept that this is the new football. You can post a screenshot of the initial contact being with Sissoko's chest but at the end of the day, he stuck his arm out and it made contact with the ball. I'm not saying that I agree that should be a penalty automatically but we've seen from the United penalty against PSG and I'm pretty sure the one Aguero missed vs Spurs was similar, that you're not getting away with that anymore.

In 2 years time, any defender inside his own box that stands with his hands anywhere other than up his own backside will get slated for being an amateur. As a sporting fanbase we will have accepted the new penalty rules just like we've accepted diving as part of the game, and just like we'll have accepted VAR by this time next year.

Liverpool would have won anyway. Spurs had nothing to offer in attack, might have nicked one if the game had gone on for another 90 minutes but you could play that final another 10 times over and Liverpool would win 8 or 9 of them.

Realistically I think that's a handball anywhere outside the box every day of the week. What's harsh is that the punishment is a penalty for that. Indirect freekick would be a more reasonable punishment for the offence imo.

37 minutes ago, Eco said:

Watched this before the Atlanta match today. 

Pretty rough CL Final, and was surprised by how little urgency Tottenham showed. 

Agreed. I think their lack of experienced showed. I think it being an all English affair resulted in the players being almost dazed and confused throughout.

28 minutes ago, José said:

Congratulations @UNORTHODOX @Rick @Burning Gold @LFCMike @LFCMadLad @IgnisExcubitor @Harry

Putting all differences to the side, liverpool deserved a title after such an epic season. Hopefully this is the peak though :ph34r:

Cheers pal. It's a good feeling to not be on the receiving end of the brutal "chokers" ribbing you and others would inevitably be dishing out had the result not gone our way.

Glad to see Klopp win something for all his efforts. 

Wasn't a great game but Liverpool have played better than that in finals and not come out on the winning side. All about winning in these games. 

Never wanted a group of players and manager to win something more than I have with these. They are incredible. 

Archived