Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Stan

Chelsea 4-1 Arsenal - Wednesday 29th May, 2019 - FINAL

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Agree, bring in those young players because what will now be three years without Champions League football will be lost by not implementing a structure which should've been based firmly on youth. Some young players have been getting a chance but we have overpaid mediocrity living off a status they had in 2010 in one case and others that were a total experiment being paid premium football wages. We require a coach used to working with young players and may aswel spend the years out of Europe's premiu competition bulding something and not throwing money away.

Its only the way to go and the fans will be more supportive if we are brining players through the club. 

Sarri dedicated the win to Napoli fans xD

20190529-636947654679736470_201905292227

Don't know if this gesture from Pedro was commented on, but the three finger salute he made was marking a historic achievment no footballer has ever done. With today's goal he is the only ever player to score in Europe's present three club competions (finals).

1. Champions League Final (2011)
  2. Europa League Final (2019)
  3. UEFA European Super Cup (2009 & 2015)

Posted (edited)

Arsenal are a bad summer away from dropping to midtable in my eyes. I'm not convinced they've made any real progress at all since Wenger left.

Defence is still a shambles.

Have by and large continued the poor recruitment, plenty of ageing players mixed into that too.

Losing their best player this season on a free because they've now got this situation where one player is being paid grotesquely more than he's worth.

Ozil is shot to shit now. I've always appreciated what he's about but even I'm thinking just get shot of him now. He looks absolutely shot to pieces at the top level.

How are your fans standing for this? Most expensive season tickets in the world, in the richest league in the world, in one of the biggest cities in the world with an enormous fanbase and your budget is going to be less than the likes of Leicester and Wolves.

The club's a cheat. I'm serious I think unless you pull a couple of gems out this summer you will end up about 8th or 9th and that is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

What Arsenal need is a psychologist, not a coach. No composure, all familiar bad habits, season in season out.

3 hours ago, Dan said:

Arsenal are a bad summer away from dropping to midtable in my eyes. I'm not convinced they've made any real progress at all since Wenger left.

Defence is still a shambles.

Have by and large continued the poor recruitment, plenty of ageing players mixed into that too.

Losing their best player this season on a free because they've now got this situation where one player is being paid grotesquely more than he's worth.

Ozil is shot to shit now. I've always appreciated what he's about but even I'm thinking just get shot of him now. He looks absolutely shot to pieces at the top level.

How are your fans standing for this? Most expensive season tickets in the world, in the richest league in the world, in one of the biggest cities in the world with an enormous fanbase and your budget is going to be less than the likes of Leicester and Wolves.

The club's a cheat. I'm serious I think unless you pull a couple of gems out this summer you will end up about 8th or 9th and that is ridiculous.

It’s because their fans stand for it they’re in that situation. It became fashionable to support Arsenal during the Henry & Wenger era, now though they’re no longer a top 4 side. Spurs have replaced them 

I wonder how long it will take for journalists to clock that Baku is involved in hosting Euro 2020...

When you look at last night's game its not like Arsenal didn't have chances to go up but they didn't take them and thats okay. What isn't okay however is not having someone on the pitch who can command and rally people when times get tough. I can't pick out a natural leader from anyone that played last night and when you dont have someone like that its very hard to come back from going one down forget three. Why people persist with Ozil when they clearly know hes going to be limited because of what the opponents know is beyond me as well. 

Emery, imo, has to take some of the blame as well because he didn't adapt quickly enough to realize what might have had his team in a better position to go against Chelsea. Until the second half and the goal from Giroud it was even-stevens and quite a dull affair but post that goal its like one team got deflated and couldn't be bothered anymore till subs came and on and tried to change things. That, to me, is a managerial mistake coupled with what i said earlier.

Having said all that this is probably the start of some kind of cleansing at Arsenal because I doubt anyone there is happy with what they saw last night.

Opening 25 mins was poor and slow in my opinion, with Arsenal trying to create and attack. Towards the end we got two good chances through Emerson and Giroud. Something new happened last night we started off strongly in the second. A brilliant half tight defense and a lot of chances created. Scored four, could have had a few more. Arsenal had a few good chances but after 4-1 when it was pretty much done. Sarri under all the shit did very well, also a good tactic in the final all the players did well. Haven't been this happy since Munich, first London European final and we smashed it. 

6 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Don't know if this gesture from Pedro was commented on, but the three finger salute he made was marking a historic achievment no footballer has ever done. With today's goal he is the only ever player to score in Europe's present three club competions (finals).

Isn't that 6?

7 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Isn't that 6?

3 in stereo actually! xD

6 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Silly q here but how did he get to the Super cup in 2009 if he was in the CL in 2011? Wouldn't that have been in the same year? Therefore making it Super Cup 2011 and then consequently 2019 now as well? 

16 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Silly q here but how did he get to the Super cup in 2009 if he was in the CL in 2011? Wouldn't that have been in the same year? Therefore making it Super Cup 2011 and then consequently 2019 now as well? 

Barcelona won the CL in May 2009 as well. 

18 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Barca won the CL in ‘09, they beat United, IIRC. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Barcelona won the CL in May 2009 as well. 

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

Barca won the CL in ‘09, they beat United, IIRC. 

Suppose that kind of makes it six then which is what he was showing. Figured he'd won the CL more than once.

46 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Just listened a podcast from a late night Spanish radio football show this morning where he explained the gesture properly. It's 3 and 6... Three fingers for scoring in all three European competition finals and six for scoring in six finals. He is apparently also the only player to score in all three European finals plus the FIFA World Club Cup Final. A journalist also added something he didn't know himself when the journalist stated that he was the only footballer ever to score in six competitions in one year (La Liga, Champions League Final, UEFA European Super Cup Final, Super Copa de España Final, Copa del Rey Final and FIFA World Club Cup Final). All that without his international feats with Spain and just concentrating on club football. Not bad for the little man, players that sometimes go quite unnoticed but add so much.

• Upvote 1

Pedro would've been great for Arsenal and I can't be bothered to search, but the summer Chelsea signed Pedro, I'd like to know who we (Arsenal) signed for ourselves just to make a quick judgment call on how we work. We all know that when Chelsea signed Kanté we signed Xhaka.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Pedro would've been great for Arsenal and I can't be bothered to search, but the summer Chelsea signed Pedro, I'd like to know who we (Arsenal) signed for ourselves just to make a quick judgment call on how we work. We all know that when Chelsea signed Kanté we signed Xhaka.

Could've had Vardy and Kante for £40m that summer, instead we end up with Xhaka and Perez for £55m. Just goes to show really. I'm pretty sure the summer they signed Pedro was actually the same one where we only brought Cech and Leicester won the title... 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Could've had Vardy and Kante for £40m that summer, instead we end up with Xhaka and Perez for £55m. Just goes to show really. I'm pretty sure the summer they signed Pedro was actually the same one where we only brought Cech and Leicester won the title... 

Where to now from here mate?

I reckon we should go down the route @Panna King mentioned last night and as fans be willing to suffer for 4 to 5 years mate. We need to clean out all the dross and the only way is not to renew anyone anymore while promoting our own youth. I know it hurts the Arsenal trademark, but if we want change, we need something radical because it's proven we aren't in a position to pay for and attract the premium players that could provide what us fans really want.

10 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

I don't think Vardy would have left to be honest. Pretty sure a lot of it was all just paper talk and speculation. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

He's class although he's had a poor season. Under Conte though he was one of our best players and has always been a little underrated throughout his career. He's had a poor season but he's had a couple of fantastic performances this season in big games, last night being one and against Spurs at home in the league, he was probably the best player on the pitch. I'm sure there's been a couple of other big performances this season but those are the ones that come to mind.

Anyway, I've always maintained that Pedro has one of the best mentalities that I've seen from any player.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Where to now from here mate?

I reckon we should go down the route @Panna King mentioned last night and as fans be willing to suffer for 4 to 5 years mate. We need to clean out all the dross and the only way is not to renew anyone anymore while promoting our own youth. I know it hurts the Arsenal trademark, but if we want change, we need something radical because it's proven we aren't in a position to pay for and attract the premium players that could provide what us fans really want.

100% no one should be safe this summer, I can truly say not one player in indespensible to this club which is shocking to say. Honestly if we get decent offers for any of our players we should be looking to take it. It's all about smarts now we have to be brave as well. We know we are not going anywhere with this team so just blow it all up. 

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

I don't think Vardy would have left to be honest. Pretty sure a lot of it was all just paper talk and speculation. 

Maybe so but we was very interested and he was available for an incredible price. 

• Upvote 1

Surely Ozil will be binned off? Emery clearly had issues with him earlier in the season, didn't Arsenal play well without him?

Absolutely spot on this!

@SirBalon @Panna King Can you ever remember an Arsenal team as unathletic and so physically inferior in your lifetime? No pace, precense or power in this team, an issue which seriously needs looking in to this summer. 

21 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Heartwarming. 

I thought that too.

You could almost sense the 'this is great, I've finally won a medal, this moment is incredible' feeling as he looks at it. 

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Absolutely spot on this!

@SirBalon @Panna King Can you ever remember an Arsenal team as unathletic and so physically inferior in your lifetime? No pace, precense or power in this team, an issue which seriously needs looking in to this summer. 

What made people think Arsenal would go and steam roll over Chelsea away from The Emirates when they couldn't even beat Palace and Brighton at home to confirm a top 3 finish. Players like Auba and Lacca get away with murder! they were shocking yesterday, no closing down, no energy upfront, we only had 2 shots on target last night and they were from 2 subs.  Emery also has to also take a lot of the blame how he still doesn't know his best team and formation over the whole season, I really not sure half the time he knows what he is doing by all the changes he makes during each game and he has improved no one at all.   

Anyway going on to next season, Arsenal will find it hard attracting anyone of any quality due to not having Champions League plus the limit they can spend due to FFP when there is no one in the squad to sell to raise money to bring in quality.  How are Arsenal going to cope with the number of players leaving due to coming to the end their contract when we already have a smallish squad as it is.  We have got rid of all our wide players, only 2 recognised strikers in the squad with any quality, 1 decent defender with potential and a very average midfield, its sad to say that is the end of Arsenal being a force now for a long time.  Arsenal need to bring a coach who can work with youth as this club needs a complete clear out from all these average experienced players they have no hunger what so ever.  Even if that means finishing lower in the table for a few years than its going to be no different continuing how Arsenal are run at the moment  by wasting money on average experienced players trying to make a quick fix. 

I don't think it's too disrespectful for him to thank the Napoli fans. If you look at his career, it was Napoli that took the real gamble on giving him a chance to coach a top quality side for the first time. 

But yeah I'm chuffed for Sarri. People slated him for being obstinate and stubborn, but ultimately I have much more faith in Chelsea improving under him than I do of Arsenal improving under Emery. 

Emery seemed set at first on playing a certain way with the high line and the build-up from the goalie, but over the course of the season he's just fell into approaching every game reactively. The team looks confused and has no real confidence in its own ability. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Surely Ozil will be binned off? Emery clearly had issues with him earlier in the season, didn't Arsenal play well without him?

In the ideal world yes but in reality Arsenal are stuck with him for 2 years, he will not leave because no other club will pay his wages, even if he does leave Arsenal will probably have to pay 90% of his wages.  Ozil sums up the spirit of the players around the squad, they all have nothing to play for, no hunger, no desire and no energy on the field.   Ozil quitting Germany should of set off alarm bells, most of Arsenal's team do not play for their country who come from a good footballing country like France, Germany like Mustafi, Lacca they get nowhere near the squad.  The players that do play  international football are from sides like Nigeria, Switzerland, Greece, Gabon etc when you can play at any level to get in to those teams, this is the real problem that there is no pressure on these players what so ever and it is down to the recruitment process of the club over the past several years that started when we bought Arteta and Mertesacker.

Posted (edited)

This is such unbelievably shit analysis. Sokratis and Lichtsteiner are technical players who lack desire? 

If anything the move with Emery has been towards buying more experienced and more physical players.