• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea 4-1 Arsenal - Wednesday 29th May, 2019 - FINAL

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Can’t wait for this! It’s been a long time since the last one (2004).

But I won’t be watching it. :eek:

2004?

Wished we had Odoi, Rudiger and Ruben for this one. Like Cicero said depending which Chelsea comes out. If it's the 45 minute Chelsea then we are screwed. Hopefully it is the League Cup final Chelsea without Kepa being the manager.

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Am I bad... Why did I have in my mind the Monaco v FC Porto final. O.o

Still a long time. 

You're getting old mate. The memory is going ;)

6 hours ago, Panna King said:

Arsenal and Chelsea have still failed to sell out their 6000 allocation, will be a very strange atmosphere next week.

Wonder whether this will be a good thing in terms of venues for future finals and allocations? I suppose it all depends on how many of the 'UEFA football family' turn up. If the ground is half empty then it might make them think twice about such ridiculous locations in the future. On the other hand could see it as justifying their low allocations for fans of each club

In fairness to UEFA, they don't know who will reach the final when the stadium is selected. On the other hand, selecting nations that are in conflict in any way (something difficult to ascertain these days in truth) is incompetent and irresponsible on their part.

There is also the small detail of certain geographical areas that aren't that accessible for fans for a diverse set of reasons especially on the financial pov. But then again, Spain which has hosted countless of finals over the decades (hosting this year's Champions League Final) are also subject to companies that organise travel sucking the football fan dry like trips to Madrid for this season's Champions League Final having flights priced at over £1,000 when normal air fares to Madrid tend to be below £100 return from the UK.

In other words there are plenty of institutions to throw the blame card at!

25 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

In fairness to UEFA, they don't know who will reach the final when the stadium is selected. On the other hand, selecting nations that are in conflict in any way (something difficult to ascertain these days in truth) is incompetent and irresponsible on their part.

There is also the small detail of certain geographical areas that aren't that accessible for fans for a diverse set of reasons especially on the financial pov. But then again, Spain which has hosted countless of finals over the decades (hosting this year's Champions League Final) are also subject to companies that organise travel sucking the football fan dry like trips to Madrid for this season's Champions League Final having flights priced at over £1,000 when normal air fares to Madrid tend to be below £100 return from the UK. 

How many countries is that not true of? Certainly not the UK/France...maybe Germany, Italy? There is arguably a higher risk of a terrorist attack in a Western European ground than Eastern. The Ukraine held the Champions League final year without a problem.

I agree the choice of Baku was a poor one, but only because the transport links are so bad. The conflict stuff is nonsense, ultimately Mkihitaryan had his safety guaranteed and chose not to go, that's fine but all these guff from sanctimonious Brits about it being appalling that Baku was chosen because of its conflicts is bollocks.

On 22/05/2019 at 03:10, Tommy said:

:) 

On 22/05/2019 at 10:54, SirBalon said:

A great deed! :congrats:

Great to hear about these things hapoening in a world that's recently returned other times.

Nice gesture I will admit but I am now left wondering how these underprivileged kids are going to be able to afford the travel expenses to actually get to the match.. :ph34r:

22 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

How many countries is that not true of? Certainly not the UK/France...maybe Germany, Italy? There is arguably a higher risk of a terrorist attack in a Western European ground than Eastern. The Ukraine held the Champions League final year without a problem.

I agree the choice of Baku was a poor one, but only because the transport links are so bad. The conflict stuff is nonsense, ultimately Mkihitaryan had his safety guaranteed and chose not to go, that's fine but all these guff from sanctimonious Brits about it being appalling that Baku was chosen because of its conflicts is bollocks.

France have problems, Italy have major issues right now and so do Spain although all of them historically used to hosting major events of all types and are organised. Nothing can ever be 100% guaranteed as we all know, even here in the UK.

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

The thing is there are not many places that fly to Baku direct from mainland Europe, there is always a 90% chance a team from those countries will be in the final.  They have tried something to get Baku on the map but it has failed  plus with other political tensions involving Armenia again this has backfired.

Apparently Arsenal have only sold 1200 tickets from their 6000 allocation and Chelsea have only sold 800.

2 hours ago, Panna King said:

The thing is there are not many places that fly to Baku direct from mainland Europe, there is always a 90% chance a team from those countries will be in the final.  They have tried something to get Baku on the map but it has failed  plus with other political tensions involving Armenia again this has backfired.

Apparently Arsenal have only sold 1200 tickets from their 6000 allocation and Chelsea have only sold 800.

Just goes to show they're not that big clubs. Liverpool and Manchester United would sell all of their tickets 100%.

3 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Nice gesture I will admit but I am now left wondering how these underprivileged kids are going to be able to afford the travel expenses to actually get to the match.. :ph34r:

Probably do the bollocks that they say on telly and walk 5 miles like they do for water :ph34r:

11 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

I think Baku's also restricting Azeri's from traveling to Baku around the final... so these underprivileged kids have a whole lot of logistical issues to figure out if they want to make the match.

I don't think I'm going to watch this one, tbh. As many people not watching this final as possible coupled with the lack of people that'll be sitting in the stands during the match, should send a good message to UEFA. Baku (and Azerbaijan generally) shouldn't be given a final.

A country that behaved like this upon a murderer's return https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramil_Safarov and saying shit like "killing an Armenian is not a crime in Azerbaijan" shouldn't be hosting a European final. Especially when that's coming from a famously authoritarian government with numerous human rights violations.

It blows my mind that Arsenal can't have a player play in a final just because of the location of the final. Has anyone ever told UEFA that they can "say no to racism."

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think I'm going to watch this one, tbh. As many people not watching this final as possible coupled with the lack of people that'll be sitting in the stands during the match, should send a good message to UEFA. Baku (and Azerbaijan generally) shouldn't be given a final.

Been a mess from the start.. they will probably fill it up with locals to give the impression it's a huge success if no bugger turns up, If we start seeing loads of supporters with a chicken under each arm then we know they have drafted in the local farming community to beef up the numbers.. 

• The title was changed to Chelsea 4-1 Arsenal - Wednesday 29th May, 2019 - FINAL

Archived